[HELP/QUESTION] Is the "battery shutdown" problem a software one or hardware one?

pixiedroid

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
So, I have that "battery shutdown" issue that started about 3 weeks ago. I purchased my phone early December at Google store, if that matters. Up until 3 weeks ago, my phone was doing fine and I am able to stretch the phone's battery for about 48 hours since I am a light user in general. When I use my phone more, it usually lasts about 24 hours.

But as mentioned, I have been having this "shut down problems". Ever since the first time it happened, my phone has been shutting down at random percentages. I had it shut down on me at 10% the smallest, but at around 60% the highest. I had it shut down on me at 20, 30, 40,50%.

I already have tried booting it is safe mode, factory reset, and what the rep tells you as basic trouble shooting before they RMA. I do not want to RMA the phone as much as possible since I'm just going to get a refurbished replacement (for the full price of the phone that I paid). So I am avoiding that option as much as possible.

Are there any people who knows or have a theory of a root cause or a remedy for this? This is really annoying since I have night classes and I do not want it shutting down on me when it says 60% battery still.

Is this a manufacturing defect or just a software bug about battery reading/charging?

I am leaning towards a very bad software bug since two charges ago, my battery indicated said "5 days left" which is not normal even in my lightest use (which normally lasts the phone 48 hrs)

Last edited:

ex0LL

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Hello.

I suppose your phone model doesn't dispose of removable battery?
I'm positive you'd try to replace it already otherwise.

I would make sure that your device is 100% not rooted. If you are not sure about it, please download this application and run a verifying:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&hl=it&token=TR3TEMsy

If your phone is not rooted and you executed a factory reset but nothing changed, I am sorry but this probably means faulty charging cell (as it's not software related).

I recommend to use original manufacturer USB cables when connecting or charging your device.

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Nobody seem to know. But there were over 3,000 posts on XDA when I added mine from users experiencing this issue. I tried Project FI support and they acted like I was one of the first to complain. Their suggestion was to move off the Beta program and reinstall the most current version of Android. When I pointed out the 3,000 people that were having this problem and most were on the standard release, they just said "well, we didn't say it was DEFINITELY the beta version" that was having the problem.
Class Action is in the works. I basically hate the whole class action thing as it usually just enriches the lawyers, but it might give some leverage to at least let Google/Huawei know we are aware of it. Search class action 6p
or this link has more info on it.... Google may be sued over Nexus 6P early shutdown and bootloop issues

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
the battery shutdown problem is fixed in pixel so it sounds like a software issue. make sure u r on Apr security update.

nexus still have this issue and has not been fixed yet

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I went back at Fi support, and eventually got them to send me a refurbished replacement 6p. In the meantime I bought a Pixel XL 128. The newly refurbished 6p is for sale on cl.
The Pixel XL is working great on Fi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel