Buy a Pixel XL now or wait for G6/S8

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I've been eyeing pixel xls for several weeks. I am currently using an IP7+ which I like but like many here, I like to change it up. I've lost out on several phones on CL and Swappa because the prices are inflated due to a lack of demand. Used XL 32s in "good condition" are fetching well over 650 locally and on Swappa. My target price is $600 which ought to be enough for a now 6 month old phone.

In any event, with MWC on the horizon and the G6 coming out in a few weeks with the S8 to follow, would you wait for the new 2017s or pull the trigger on a Pixel XL? I'm sure the resale on the Pixel XL will start to fall once these new phones come out and supply catches up. I'm most interested in whether folks think the G6/S8 will offer any upgrades over the Pixel XL? Will I regret forking over $650 for a used Pixel XL 32 in merely "good" condition? Thanks.

manni1to

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat. Got rid of my 7+ a week ago and got the pixel xl with Verizon. I love it. I am still nervous about Samsung phones with the note 7 issues.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge and I was thinking the same. I have decided to go with a Pixel XL in a month when I can upgrade. I am also a little worried about Samsung with the note 7 issue . I also like the software aspect of the pixel being pure android.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Did you pay through the nose for the Pixel XL? The used prices are crazy. I feel like the minute I pay $650 the bottom will fall out on these.

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I never realized many people switched phones so often until I got onto these forums. I usually get a phone at the carrier store and then keep it 2 - 3 years, getting rid of it once it's gone 1 update too far or a new phone I really like comes out.

That said, I think you've probably got a full year before the prices on the XL and the 128 standard drop significantly. If you enjoy android in its un-messed-with state without having to jailbreak the phone, why not pick up an XL now and flip it in 6 months or whenever the new shiny phone comes out that gets your attention? I can't imagine you'd lose too much if you take care of your phones, then you'll have around $400-$500 to put down on your phone.

I may be over estimating the phone market, but Google seems to be playing it cautious with the pixel despite its better-than-expected popularity so I doubt there will be a sudden flood of inventory.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been eyeing pixel xls for several weeks. I am currently using an IP7+ which I like but like many here, I like to change it up. I've lost out on several phones on CL and Swappa because the prices are inflated due to a lack of demand. Used XL 32s in "good condition" are fetching well over 650 locally and on Swappa. My target price is $600 which ought to be enough for a now 6 month old phone.

In any event, with MWC on the horizon and the G6 coming out in a few weeks with the S8 to follow, would you wait for the new 2017s or pull the trigger on a Pixel XL? I'm sure the resale on the Pixel XL will start to fall once these new phones come out and supply catches up. I'm most interested in whether folks think the G6/S8 will offer any upgrades over the Pixel XL? Will I regret forking over $650 for a used Pixel XL 32 in merely "good" condition? Thanks.

I love my Pixel and think it is by far the best phone I've ever owned. That being said, if from the leaks we've had so far the G6 and S8 look like phones you'd be interested in then you should wait until they come out and you can do a comparison. The Pixel will still be around and like you said the price will probably fall. So unless you're in desperate need of a new phone I'd advise waiting.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Desperate no. That's not the issue. The issue is my never ending need for new gadgets even if there likely is no appreciable difference between the Pixel XL and IP7+ other than it's new and different to me. I have a disease.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you're asking this it sounds like you have doubts. Wait and see what the others offer then decide. :).

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Desperate no. That's not the issue. The issue is my never ending need for new gadgets even if there likely is no appreciable difference between the Pixel XL and IP7+ other than it's new and different to me. I have a disease.

You need a support group. Perhaps we should start one here at AC. I think there would be no shortage of members lol.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You need a support group. Perhaps we should start one here at AC. I think there would be no shortage of members lol.
Yeah, that's true. Haha. Me included.
OP, if your budget is $600.00, you are very unlikely to be able to afford either of the two new flagships that you have mentioned, when they start shipping.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
My budget isn't $600 per se but I fell like $600 is the max I should pay for used pixel xl. I'm having a hard time swallowing $650 to $700 for a used Pixel but that's the going rate. I've been watching them sell for that an more on Swappa for 2 weeks. Crazy.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
My budget isn't $600 per se but I fell like $600 is the max I should pay for used pixel xl. I'm having a hard time swallowing $650 to $700 for a used Pixel but that's the going rate. I've been watching them sell for that an more on Swappa for 2 weeks. Crazy.

I have an S7 and as much as I like it, I want Nougat but it's not getting to the unlocked phones yet. I had a Pixel Xl and sold it and wish I hadn't. I've been looking at Pixels (5") too and the price for a Mint Condition one in 32 GB is outrageous. They were around $500 and now are up to $550. That being said I am not getting another Sammy. I think the G6 might work if Verizon has a good trade in deal for my S7

Blumini06

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I would wait for the Pixel 2 and and maybe wait for discounted Pixel or XL. I don't think I can go back to a phone with bloatware and inconsistent phone. That's just me.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Sammy is still 2 months out but the G6 is only a couple of weeks. Will it really cost much more than a 700 used pixel?

udnh

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I would also wait.

Initially I wanted to replace my Nexus 6 by a Pixel, but first it's not available where I live (although there's always a way around that), and then I decided to wait for a Pixel 2 if I can manage.

I think (and this is purely subjective) that the Pixel 2 will be Google's true flagship, improving on many of the Pixel's shortcomings. If I can't manage to wait that long I will think about the Galaxy S8, but I'm not too keen on moving away from fast updates straight from Google.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01