WiFi Calling on non-carrier purchased phone

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
An office friend told me that I need to look into wireless calling for when I'm at the office, since we have a mildly decent WiFi by comparison to the cell-tower reception that is nearly non-existent in the office cubicle farm. The only problem is that I purchased my phone from Google and took it back to my carrier for the SIM chip.

Can I "add-in" WiFi calling? Is there an app that I can use?

TIA!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It works on the Google bought version. You first need to have "Advanced Calling" turned on, which is done first on your Verizon account and then within phone settings. Once you have that active, the toggle for WiFi calling also becomes available on the Pixel and Pixel XL.

315a48f66d4e57a9219c2b0e09abc737.jpg
3ac8b07401277ae7ba7a5915da8b0056.jpg

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Ignoring the carrier-branded WiFi phone calling issues, have you tried out any other VOIP solutions like Skype or Viber? I've been using Google Hangouts and Signal Private Messenger to make WiFi calls, the only problems I've encountered being tied to whatever WiFi network I was using at the time (note that a lot of ISPs continue to provide drastically slower upload bandwidth than download bandwidth).

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah AT&T is the one who doesn't want to play ball with unlocked phones. T-Mobile plays nice and so far Verizon is playing nice with the Pixel.
Thought you would like to hear this. I went on a chat with tech services at at&t. The girl said her manager was going to add my imei to their list of unlocked phones and that in 3 business days I should have wifi calling and HD voice features. I'm praying it was this easy and will check on Wednesday to see if it in fact worked!!! I have some hope!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thought you would like to hear this. I went on a chat with tech services at at&t. The girl said her manager was going to add my imei to their list of unlocked phones and that in 3 business days I should have wifi calling and HD voice features. I'm praying it was this easy and will check on Wednesday to see if it in fact worked!!! I have some hope!!
Oh wow yeah keep me posted !

nancygail

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
This is an older thread but I'm wondering what they did to "get it fixed". I put an AT&T sim card into a Verizon Pixel XL. The area I moved to has virtually no data signal from AT&T. But I learned about AT&T's wifi calling restriction from their forum. Still trying to find a work around so I can make calls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, there's nothing to "fix" - it's just AT&T policy. There's no way to work around it, unless you know an AT&T employee willing to risk his/her job.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
No, there's nothing to "fix" - it's just AT&T policy. There's no way to work around it, unless you know an AT&T employee willing to risk his/her job.
The only non AT&T phones that are allowed to use WiFi calling and VoLTE are iPhones. They work by default on any factory unlocked or carrier unlocked iPhone.

Samsung phones will also work if you load the AT&T firmware onto them.