March Security Bulletin up for Pixel / Nexus devices

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hollow bar at least has to be software, since Nexus on Nougat also has the radio turn off issue.

Very much in agreement personally I think and I'm probably going to be chastised for saying this is that at this point what are the odds of blue tooth connectivity ever been resolved or the hollow bar with LTE or wifi connectivity going to be fixed? They have made more then several attempts with blue tooth and they still fail. Including myself there are still people on Verizon and I'm sure other carriers that don't get a consistent signal with the phone. Google claims its been addressed but yet there are still issues? Other issues as well they always say they are working on or came up with a resolution and no change.

Google is more concerned with their maps and hangouts and making everything else work and integrate with each other. But to fix their own operating ayytem, they are clueless and don't know what they are doing. Yes all phones have bugs but don't forget this phone was released last October and all of these issues keep cropping up? They need to outsource and have someone recode their entire operating system ground up.

I already know most on here are going to post and say my phone is flawless I don't understand why you have all these issues. Yes sadly but true these issues exist for a lot of people weather you want to see it that way or not
When you guys see the hollow bar is your data stopping or what? I've noticed if in a weaker signal area (116 and above) the bar shoes nothing but LTE works. The phone signal bars aren't as leanient on Verizon so it's best to always monitor actual strength.

I have an app that shows me the band and the true signal strength at all times. Example at the top left.

Screenshot_20170315-170102.png

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
No hollow bar is when you just see the outline of the signal meter. No signal is just blank signal meter. Hollow bar is different. Someone posted a screen shot of it. But, there are so many forums about it, I don't remember where it was at this point.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Dial *#*#4636#*#* then goto phone information. Turn off your cellular radio. Wait a few seconds. Now look at the signal bar. That is hollow bar. Make sure to turn your cellular radio back on before exiting.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Dial *#*#4636#*#* then goto phone information. Turn off your cellular radio. Wait a few seconds. Now look at the signal bar. That is hollow bar. Make sure to turn your cellular radio back on before exiting.

Ah okay -- yeah that hasn't happened to me. I have seen it go black but not hollow. Usually if it goes blank it is just a weak signal at the top left (-116 or worse).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As you can see this is the worst thing I get.. but the signal is still there. Verizon just counts 116 as bad. Usually at home it'll sit at that for a short time then jump to band 13 which gives 98 to 105 dBm in the house.

Screenshot_20170317-202344.png

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
For me on Verizon, I start dropping calls at the 105-107dBm range. If someone sends me a text or email during these times and I am on the phone it guarantees a dropped call for me IF I am attempting to use the phone without Airplane mode and wi-fi. At 116 I am not even thinking of making a call being on Verizon

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For me on Verizon, I start dropping calls at the 105-107dBm range. If someone sends me a text or email during these times and I am on the phone it guarantees a dropped call for me IF I am attempting to use the phone without Airplane mode and wi-fi. At 116 I am not even thinking of making a call being on Verizon

Ah that is weird. I can make a call at -116 and it holds. Usually it will hop over to band 13 at some point which will give a better signal but I have bounced between both bands and still used data during the call.

I know I have asked it before but why haven't you swapped phones if this hasn't worked for you? I don't believe I ever got a direct answer. I just can't fathom keeping a phone that doesn't work for your needs.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I have swapped out 2 other pixels for my third one all with the exact same issues. Being that this issue is on Verizon's website, on this forum from various posters, on Reddit from posters and many other forums with people posting the same issues, I would have thought that between Google and Verizon that these issues would have been sorted out by this time. Surely this issue has to be known to Google and Verizon both. I held out for this reason primarily.
Other reason I have not swapped out my phone for another handset all together is I would not feel right if I was to try to sell this on Swappa, Craigslist or someplace else knowing that a potential buyer could very well be plagued with these same issues if they were to purchase the phone from me. I would have to be honest and upfront and tell that person of the issues I was experiencing with the phone and this might have been enough to detract from a possible sale, hence being stuck with this phone until I would be able to pay it off and choose something different that might work out better for me