March Security Update Missed

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Enrolling will not wipe the device, unenrolling is what does it. There is a warning, but you have to enroll and unenroll via the website, so it's pretty difficult to miss. :)

I see. So as long as I un-enroll after the beta has gone public, it will not wipe my device. Is it obvious when the beta has gone public? Thanks again.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you'll get an OTA update to stable.

Ohhh, I think I get it now. So I enroll in the beta whenever I want, I just can't un-enroll until I have received the OTA stable version. As long as I un-enroll when it's stable, my device isn't wiped and I'm back to normal as if I had never enrolled.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ohhh, I think I get it now. So I enroll in the beta whenever I want, I just can't un-enroll until I have received the OTA stable version. As long as I un-enroll when it's stable, my device isn't wiped and I'm back to normal as if I had never enrolled.

You got it.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
So the May updates are getting released and I still don't have March. Google support was zero help, yet again. Is it officially safe for me to join the beta program and immediately back out? Or am I past that point and it will wipe my device if I do it right now?

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
You can join beta now. The public release is out. But why not just side load the March-May OTA's? No reason to join the beta.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
You're right I could do that too. I just thought it would be easier to join the beta and leave (I am assuming I'll immediately get a few OTA's, then I just leave), especially if I have to individually load March, then April, then May patches.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I tried to sign up for the beta but it won't let me - apparently the beta is complete until Android O? Did I do something wrong, or did I just wait too long to pull the trigger?

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I have done updates on my N9 before so I assume it's the same or similar. I also don't want to wipe my phone - just update it.

Since I'm stuck on the February security patch and 7.1.1, I assume I will have to load March, April, and May security patches first?

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I have done updates on my N9 before so I assume it's the same or similar. I also don't want to wipe my phone - just update it.

Since I'm stuck on the February security patch and 7.1.1, I assume I will have to load March, April, and May security patches first?
Dunno for sure. But might be the wisest choice.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Alright so I side-loaded the March OTA, and then I immediately got 7.1.2 (April) followed by the May security patch completely OTA afterwards. Worked perfectly - thanks for everyone's help. For whatever reason I was stuck in February - maybe it was my carrier but I don't think I would have ever received anything given how much time had passed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech