Fingerprint scanner

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
An article from Mashable just popped up on my Google Now and stated people are having issues with the fingerprint scanner after the 7.1.2 update (pixel and 5x), news to me, ours are fine... Anyone hear of this?

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I saw that article on my Google feed this morning, and I found it very annoying. The author was either poorly informed or he's simply guilty of sloppy research habits. The way the article is written, it appears that the author is advising everyone to avoid updating their Nexus/Google phones to Nougat 7.1.2 because doing so will totally Bork your fingerprint scanner:

According to multiple reports on Google's Pixel and Nexus product forums, the latest Android 7.1.2 Nougat update cripples the fingerprint sensor on the Pixel/Pixel XL and Nexus 5X/Nexus 6P, rendering them useless.

Note that he does not say this problem has occurred with some Nexus 5X/6P or Pixel/Pixel XL phones, instead he implies that the issue is with all Nexus 5X/6P and Pixel/Pixel XL phones.

I have a Pixel XL and my husband has a Nexus 5X. Both phones have been updated to Nougat 7.1.2, and neither phone has exhibited this problem.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It's literally the only reference I've seen about this, I haven't been trolling every single android site but nothing here and I haven't seen anything on G+ from Android Police or anyone else.... Very weird and suspect at this point....

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It's literally the only reference I've seen about this, I haven't been trolling every single android site but nothing here and I haven't seen anything on G+ from Android Police or anyone else.... Very weird and suspect at this point....

It is a legitimate issue, it just should not be implied that the issue is impacting all Nexus 5X/6P and Pixel/Pixel XL phones, because it's not. There is a topic about this problem on the Google Product Forums where it's being addressed by Google.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
All these "issues" being posted on a weekly basis and I haven't experienced any of it. I bet all it takes is one person complaining​ on social media, without proof, for these websites to publish an article. The clickbait works though because there are always hundreds of comments of people arguing:
"Haha. I told you the Pixel sucks!"
"No issues with mine. It's working perfectly" "Whatever! You're just a Google sheep fanboy. Enjoy your overpriced ****ty phone"

jdazzr

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my second replacement phone and I've never had an issue either with this, or my original phone. I believe the key is when programming you should program your finger from multiple directions.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the Mashable writer simply took a molehill and pumped it up to the size of a mountain. There have been what appears to be a relatively small number of legitimate reports of the fingerprint scanner failing after installation of the 7.1.2 update. Google is currently investigating the problem. Meanwhile, Mashable decided to warn the world that "the sky is falling."

My Pixel XL is an amazing phone that continues to reinforce my determination to never ever own another carrier branded phone.

acap82

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Woke up this morning to no fingerprint scanner functionality to my Pixel XL on Verizon. It has the April update and no issues until this morning.

Anyone else?

acap82

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Restarted twice. Did chat with support...Tried safe mode. Nothing. Almost appears that fingerprint is completely gone off phone - it's not listed in Security settings anymore. Apps that i had set up to require fingerprint don't offer option, just password. Not even denying fingerprint as incorrect. Looking like I will need to do a complete factory reset.

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Yikes, that's awful. Sorry you have to do the reset. Sounds like something just deleted the driver or whatever controls the sensor right off your phone... Very strange, good luck.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps a factory reset?

If that doesn't work, fall back a version, though it may not actually be a version issue, this might help confirm if it is.

acap82

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Factory reset completed and still no fingerprint scanner. Google Pixel Support suggested contacting Best Buy for a new phone under the warranty...So far, dealing with Best Buy on the phone has been miserable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user