Pixel - Still worth Buying 6 months later?

Mhd 1999

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
Yes, for my preferences, it's MUCH better. It's a flat, 16x9 screen and it's a great looking metal body, as opposed to glass, which is something I'm so far not a fan of. I know some people hate the bezels; I'm not one of them. But for those people, we could point to the Nexus 6, which also looks much better than the S8 IMO.

+1

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pixel I had to wait nearly two months for, and I just upgraded to a S8+ with my carrier. The design of the Samsung is amazing and the quality is second to none, and the battery life has been exceptional. But even with that I'm not sold. The Pixel screen looks nicer to my eye, the flat design is more appealing to me, the camera is better, the battery life is nearly as good, the fingerprint sensor doesn't suck and since it's a Pixel the updates will be the best on the market. I'm going to give the S8+ another week, but at this point the Pixel is looking better to me. Samsung did some great things with the S8+, but in some important areas where it was behind (like the camera) it didn't change anything when it actually needed to.

slowtbss

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I've had nothing but bad Bluetooth with my car,headsets,speakers...mine freezes and is slow to load...I've reset many times and I'm on stock rom.....if I had the chance i would be back to a Samsung phone in a heart beat. only part of the phone i love is the fingerprint scanner and location.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
With Android O, yes it is worth buying. Still the best phone out right now.
Touch Jizz is the second ugliest skin after LG's putrid looking skin. And I mean a close second. Pixel OS beautiful. Edge phones suck trying to hold on to as well.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Personally after using my s8+ for almost a month now don't think I can go back to the standard 16:9 phone. I love the new taller phone with small bezels. Nonetheless the pixel is still an amazing phone (gave my Pixel XL to my dad which he loves). But, if you can hang on for another 6 months with your iPhone, I most definitely would and get the pixel 2 instead.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Had a pixel. Went through a few more phones including a G6 and S8 and ended up getting a pixel XL last week. Couldn't be happier.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Not sure what you are asking me to explain. Pixel was not worth it's price at launch and it is for sure not worth paying that same price now.

I have had Nexus 6, 5x, 6P, and Pixel XL. Loved pure Android until Google charged outrages price for pixel that basically has the same performance as a Nexus phone but with a better camera. That's as simple as I can put it.

I moved one to S7 edge and now S8 Plus as these phones provide so much more value for the price. S8 Plus is an AMAZING phone, fast and smooth. I'll keep the pixel for folks who want updates on day one, not me anymore. Get it on day one or few months after, what difference would it make if I'm going to get it anyway?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you are asking me to explain. Pixel was not worth it's price at launch and it is for sure not worth paying that same price now.

I have had Nexus 6, 5x, 6P, and Pixel XL. Loved pure Android until Google charged outrages price for pixel that basically has the same performance as a Nexus phone but with a better camera. That's as simple as I can put it.

I moved one to S7 edge and now S8 Plus as these phones provide so much more value for the price. S8 Plus is an AMAZING phone, fast and smooth. I'll keep the pixel for folks who want updates on day one, not me anymore. Get it on day one or few months after, what difference would it make if I'm going to get it anyway?

Ah we just disagree substantially almost across the board. The Pixel is the only Android flagship worth the price and that hasn't changed. The S8 and S7 have marginally better displays, but much worse software, security, etc to come along with it. For the Pixels intended audience, Samsung still hasn't grown all the way up yet. Glad you like your phone though. That's the most important part for any buyer.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Ah we just disagree substantially almost across the board. The Pixel is the only Android flagship worth the price and that hasn't changed. The S8 and S7 have marginally better displays, but much worse software, security, etc to come along with it. For the Pixels intended audience, Samsung still hasn't grown all the way up yet. Glad you like your phone though. That's the most important part for any buyer.
Pixel is an amazing phone, don't get me wrong. I just think Google got pretty greedy with their pricing. But hey, what do you know, it's always out of stock because people are buying them like hot cakes​ :)

Enjoy your phone, as you said, that's​ all that matters.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Pixel is an amazing phone, don't get me wrong. I just think Google got pretty greedy with their pricing. But hey, what do you know, it's always out of stock because people are buying them like hot cakes​ :)

Enjoy your phone, as you said, that's​ all that matters.
I'm back to Pixel XL after using the S8+, G6. I sold my Pixel XL after I pre-ordered the S8+ but personally for me Pixel was the smoothest android experience I ever had and small glitches here and there with the new flagships got me buying the Pixel XL again and I'm happy. Also, may be I got lucky a week back, placed the 128 GB Pixel XL order from Google store and it was there next day at my door with overnight shipping. And added bonus with Pixel I get to try android O and all the latest Google software which I prefer. I agree Pixel is expensive and at this point it's not advisable to buy the phone if you are planning to keep for long. I would rather wait for Pixel 2 but personally I don't mind selling the Pixel again after a few months, take a few hundred dollar hit and get the Pixel 2.

For regular folks I will probably advise to wait till fall and buy the new Pixel or the new iPhone or Note 8 if they don't care about software experience.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say the display of the s8 is only marginally better than the pixel. Samsungs displays really are special, and coupled with HDR capability it really is hard to beat, for now. And as much as i loved my pixel XL when i had mine, I do agree that now it is overpriced. Maybe not back when it was released, but for sure now it is now. Considering it does not have water resistance, last gen chipset, i believe it's not worth the same price as a s8+ currently is. Now if you can score a deal on it, then yes, it's still a great phone. But to drop close to $1000 for a pixel XL 128gb now? Tough sell.

I know people value different things, and the things the pixel caters to might be more valuable than water resistance or near bezel-less design. In that case you'll be better served waiting it out as bhatech says, and get the pixel XL 2, than a brand new pixel XL at full price.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say the display of the s8 is only marginally better than the pixel. Samsungs displays really are special, and coupled with HDR capability it really is hard to beat, for now. And as much as i loved my pixel XL when i had mine, I do agree that now it is overpriced. Maybe not back when it was released, but for sure now it is now. Considering it does not have water resistance, last gen chipset, i believe it's not worth the same price as a s8+ currently is. Now if you can score a deal on it, then yes, it's still a great phone. But to drop close to $1000 for a pixel XL 128gb now? Tough sell.

I know people value different things, and the things the pixel caters to might be more valuable than water resistance or near bezel-less design. In that case you'll be better served waiting it out as bhatech says, and get the pixel XL 2, than a brand new pixel XL at full price.

The S8 is the best display ever to be on an Android, but for most content we use the standard sRGB and both are close enough to accurate that it's difficult to tell a difference in accuracy. The S8's real benefits on the display are the increased power efficiency. But for my top priorities, Security, display, performance and camera - Pixel is obviously winning on the security, the other three are very close, and where Samsung wins out in testing, real world a lot of it can just come down to whose vision you agree with more, etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463