Pixel - Still worth Buying 6 months later?

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Given the recent launch of the G6 & S8, I'm actually considering coming back to Android. Is the Pixel still worth purchasing? I know it lacks wireless charging & a decent water resistance rating but the camera is still the best out there. Thoughts?

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rockitdog23!

Thanks for the question. There truly is no easy answer to this. As Android fans, we are truly blessed to have the amazing devices we do! I'm a current Pixel owner within the last few weeks, but have good knowledge on the other 2 smartphones mentioned (and hands on experience with them and previous versions).

Can you tell me a little bit more about what you expect from your smartphone. Here are some questions I ask people a lot:

1. Who's your carrier (I like to know just in case there are some good deals out there) / are you due for an upgrade?

2. What's your most important smartphone feature? Camera, screen, battery, manufacturer, overall look, etc...

3. What kind of Android experience do you like? Are you more into stock Android, do you like a bunch of extra features?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely, yes. Still the best phone on the market for what I want. Among the best camera, among the best battery life (other than the Moto G Play, which is a monster), great build quality, best software, by far the best security. I could use a boost to audio, but everything that's not the V20 can say the same.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi Rockitdog23!

Thanks for the question. There truly is no easy answer to this. As Android fans, we are truly blessed to have the amazing devices we do! I'm a current Pixel owner within the last few weeks, but have good knowledge on the other 2 smartphones mentioned (and hands on experience with them and previous versions).

Can you tell me a little bit more about what you expect from your smartphone. Here are some questions I ask people a lot:

1. Who's your carrier (I like to know just in case there are some good deals out there) / are you due for an upgrade?

2. What's your most important smartphone feature? Camera, screen, battery, manufacturer, overall look, etc...

3. What kind of Android experience do you like? Are you more into stock Android, do you like a bunch of extra features?

1. I'll be on Verizon most likely (currently on AT&T w/ an iPhone 7).
2. Honestly- water resistance would be nice but not a deal breaker. Camera and decent battery life are important.
3. I'm actually open to a stock experience or something like Touchwiz which I've used in the past. I'm not a heavy customizer - I'll probably stick with whatever launcher I get on a device.

Mhd 1999

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely YES, you're gonna get an excellent experience, the BEST android performance, the BEST camera, and a decent battery life.
Happy pixel owner here!

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
With Verizon you will have the option of getting any of those 3 devices. We are talking about the top tier Android has to offer! I'm going to throw the LG out of the equation. As much as I enjoy LG, the purpose of the LG G6 was to be a S8 competitor, and while they put together an awesome device, it does fall short in almost every way. If you can get either device subsidized through VZW doing the monthly payments, it doesn't make much sense to pick LG above Samsung unless you had a personal preference. If LG had a crazy deal going like $200 off over 24 months I think it would be worth taking a look, but the Google Home isn't enough value I don't think to justify a purchase of it. So why did I leave the Pixel on here? 1. Because i'm a horribly biased person who loves stock Android. 2. Its aging better than any other Android device to date. The S8 will surely slow down over time, and there is not much evidence that would indicate otherwise. 3. The most recent updates and security patches are super important to me. I want to be on top of new threats that come out, and I can't rely on a carrier to allow those things to be patched. Cameras and battery life on either device are very comparable to each other. I don't think you are gaining much of an advantage either way.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely.

Camera is still top-notch. Photos are awesome. Video is awesome.

And Google guarantees OS updates for 18 more months and security updates for 30 more months.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
First, regarding the two things you mention it lacking - wireless charging and a decent water resistance rating:

Is wireless charging a 'must have' feature for you? I had it on my N7 and N6, but didn't use it much given the heat generated and the adverse effect that heat has on long term battery life. To me, the only way it could be needed would be if the charge port connector were damaged to the point of being non-functional. With the old micro-USB ports, that was a realistic concern given the directional nature of the connector and an error in lining it up leading to loosening the port. With USB-C, it shouldn't be.

As to water resistance, I'd say the Pixel is "decent," just not exceptional. You don't need to worry about it being caught in rain or, as evidenced in many a video test, after quick retrieval from a drop in a puddle. It's not "great" like those with IP67/8, but unless you spend a great deal of time around large bodies of water, it should be sufficient. That said, better is always better, but the pertinent question is to whether what it has is enough to allay concerns.

Beyond that, I love the new competition coming out. I don't think they make any compelling case to switch away from my Pixel, but they will incent Google (hopefully) to go further with innovation than they might if the wireless handset market weren't such a competitive-leapfrog landscape.

I've had my Pixel XL now for.... actually, 6 months to the day. In that time I've had 0 trouble, and have not noticed any deterioration in performance or battery life whatsoever. I can't say that for any other smartphone I've ever owned, including the Nexus line. There is no area where I find it to be insufficient, and it excels at nearly everything. My only gripe is regarding the lack of front-firing stereo speakers (as that's what I had been used to on the Nexus 6 from which I'd upgraded), but in truth the single speaker is still very good.

If you're looking to upgrade now, the Pixel is absolutely worth consideration. Bear in mind that while it's a '17 phone, in 2 years it'll be upgrading to Android "P" whereas the latest round of flagship competition will likely be stalled at "O." Also, you mention possibly switching carriers. With Pixels, you're free to move between carriers without having to change handsets, which is a nice potential boon.

All that aside, if you're not in a rush, we're about another 6 months out from the Pixel 2 which will likely be a substantial upgrade. If I had resisted upgrading from my N6 (which still worked great) to this point, I'd give serious thought to holding off a little longer.

Bertolus

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Come on guys, seriously the S8 destroys the Pixel. In comparison its design is sooo ugly. Also the S8 turns out to have great battery life of 7-8 SOT. And all that for the same price.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Come on guys, seriously the S8 destroys the Pixel. In comparison its design is sooo ugly. Also the S8 turns out to have great battery life of 7-8 SOT. And all that for the same price.
Disagree on destroy and on ugly. Pixel looks much better IMO, pixel still has better software, better support, better security - Samsung has a better display, otherwise they're about the same.

Bertolus

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Much better...really?

c38ac509568e6ab8156dc6012d3c6859.jpg

Besides, I hate looking at my iPhone 7 after release of the S8. I can however agree on the software support probably being better in the future for the Pixel. Although... Nexus 6p owners are not very happy right now.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think it is. I prefer the Oled with a flat screen. That makes the Pixel a decent choice for me. I also prefer the 16/9 screen ratio. If you like along skinny phone with curved screens the S8 is a better choice.

The V20 is cheaper with bigger flat screen but LCD and the snapshot camera is mediocre. I only went with V20 for bigger screen and ir blaster. My V20 may be the last premium phone built with that feature but I have 10 devices in my house that use it! I don't plan on replacing any of those devices any time soon so even if ir blaster is passe it is still very useful for me.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Much better...really?

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170421/c38ac509568e6ab8156dc6012d3c6859.jpg

Besides, I hate looking at my iPhone 7 after release of the S8. I can however agree on the software support probably being better in the future for the Pixel. Although... Nexus 6p owners are not very happy right now.

I played around with the S8 and S8+, while the display is very nice the curved screen is not my cup of tea..Flat screen please. The thinner form factor is sleek but the extra height I'm also not s fan of. They are sharp looking phones no doubt, but the stuff I mentioned and TW just turn me off. I'm using a 6P right now, and even if I had a choice I'd prefer the package pixel offers. Pretty isn't always everything imo.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Much better...really?

Yes, for my preferences, it's MUCH better. It's a flat, 16x9 screen and it's a great looking metal body, as opposed to glass, which is something I'm so far not a fan of. I know some people hate the bezels; I'm not one of them. But for those people, we could point to the Nexus 6, which also looks much better than the S8 IMO.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I played around with the S8 and S8+, while the display is very nice the curved screen is not my cup of tea..Flat screen please. The thinner form factor is sleek but the extra height I'm also not s fan of. They are sharp looking phones no doubt, but the stuff I mentioned and TW just turn me off. I'm using a 6P right now, and even if I had a choice I'd prefer the package pixel offers. Pretty isn't always everything imo.

I was beginning to think I was alone in the fact that I still like a flat panel! Personally, I don't get much added value from a curved display. However, everyones MMV, and the great part about Android is our abundance of choice!

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I was beginning to think I was alone in the fact that I still like a flat panel! Personally, I don't get much added value from a curved display. However, everyones MMV, and the great part about Android is our abundance of choice!

The curve looks cool but that's about it, that glare you get from a light source is not something I'm fond of either. Plus the placement of the fingerprint sensor is brutal, I don't want to use Iris scanning (not yet anyway). Many have raved that the G6 is a better form for flat screen fans, FYI.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Good to know I'm not alone in my thoughts on the S8 series. They are sort of like a hot chick in high heels; great to look at and I wouldn't mind fooling around with for a bit but long term just high maintenance. The screen and aspect ratio are sexy but reaching to the extreme edges of the screen requires too much shifting in the hand when using one handed (smaller S8 not as bad admittedly, but definitely not good on the S8+). I like flat screens and a large lower bezel to bring the bottom of the keyboard up when swipe typing one handed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar