Pixel and the lack of 3xCA support

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
So it's been awhile now since Pixel was released. We had lots and lots of bugs. People have been getting full refunds due to mic and speaker issues etc. And now it turns out the advertised 3xCA (fast LTE speeds that both Verizon and T-mobile support) feature on all Pixel phones doesn't even work (only on Verizon). Google blamed T-mobile, while T-mobile said it's Google who's responsible.
Shouldn't​ we be allowed to return phones just because they are falsely advertised? I mean Google already has 2 law suites on Nexus 5x bootloop and Nexus 6p battery issues

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wait, so 3XCA works on Verizon, which it was advertised to do - and doesn't work on another carrier, which it was not advertised to support ... and you think that's false advertising? How? It does exactly what was said. Yes, please file a lawsuit.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Wait, so 3XCA works on Verizon, which it was advertised to do - and doesn't work on another carrier, which it was not advertised to support ... and you think that's false advertising? How? It does exactly what was said. Yes, please file a lawsuit.

Lol

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't knit stockings for me either. I think I'll join that suit.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

What do you mean it's not advertised on Tmobile? It's advertised by Google that Pixel supports 3xCA and Tmobile supports it on all phones that do support 3xCA, except for Pixel.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Where does Google say they support it on T-Mobile?

It says in specs that phone supports 3xCA. The CAT12 600mbps is obviously the theoretical maximum and thats why it's carrier dependant. It's also obviously carrier dependant because not all support 3xCA

BUT Tmobile does support 3xCA and all 3xCA phones work fine on Tmobile, Pixel doesn't and Tmobile said it's Google's fault, and Google knows about it and already admitted that they are working on a fix (Although Google said it's also Tmobile's fault)

All phones spec sheets are worded like that. No one is listing carrier support, they list LTE bands. If phone supports listed LTE band and your carrier supports listed LTE band, then listed LTE band should work, if it doesn't then something is broken.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It says in specs that phone supports 3xCA. The CAT12 600mbps is obviously the theoretical maximum and thats why it's carrier dependant. It's also obviously carrier dependant because not all support 3xCA

BUT Tmobile does support 3xCA and all 3xCA phones work fine on Tmobile, Pixel doesn't and Tmobile said it's Google's fault, and Google knows about it and already admitted that they are working on it (Although Google said it's also Tmobile's fault)

All phones spec sheets are worded like that. No one is listing carrier support, they list LTE bands. If phone supports listed LTE band and your carrier supports listed LTE band, then listed LTE band should work, if it doesn't then something is broken.

So the "Verizon" stuff anywhere and everywhere they could fit it doesn't make you think that a lot of the carrier specific stuff has Verizon in mind and not a whole lot of others?

Here's the thing. It'd be false advertising if they said it worked in an advertisement and it didn't work. So produce an ad that shows a Google representative or text written by one in said ad that indicates 3xCA will work on T-Mobile, and when that's in hand, go file the lawsuit.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
So the "Verizon" stuff anywhere and everywhere they could fit it doesn't make you think that a lot of the carrier specific stuff has Verizon in mind and not a whole lot of others?

Here's the thing. It'd be false advertising if they said it worked in an advertisement and it didn't work. So produce an ad that shows a Google representative or text written by one in said ad that indicates 3xCA will work on T-Mobile, and when that's in hand, go file the lawsuit.

It works on Verizon and it works on ATT I believe. I don't know about law suites, but Google definitely screwed everyone on Tmobile

I don't know what Verizon ads say or don't. I look in specs, it says Pixel supports 3xca, then I look at Tmobile specs and they support 3xca. Bingo. But then Google reps say...Well we don't have it working yet....6+ month from it's initial launch

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
lol I get the frustration if you assumed it works - I just wouldn't have assumed that. The lawsuit part was just a bit much.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Pretty common from Google....they will probably drag this until Pixel 2 release and everyone will forget

Google isn't dragging anything. Something they didn't say would work doesn't work. It's on you for assuming it would.
But it's the internet so of course you blame Google and not yourself.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This whole debate reminds me of how group messaging with T-Mobile users that are using a Samsung device that has advanced messaging enabled is an excercise in frustration for me on AT&T with my pixel XL. I simply do not receive any texts from them in group text conversations while others in the group have no issues. It's not Google's fault though, AT&T just doesn't support advanced features on unbranded unlocked devices. I had the same thing with my unlocked Note 4 that I used prior to the Pixel (the Note 4 was from T-Mobile). It's about time for me to jump to another carrier. I'm​ in denial about buying new devices on the rest of my lines to go to Verizon with my pixel but recent experiences with another T-Mobile account have left a bad taste in my mouth so that's probably where I'll end up.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Google/Android fan, have owned every "Google" phone since the Nexus 4 and currently using a Pixel XL.

Having said that, I have to agree with the original poster - there is nothing in Google's specs for the Pixel that would leave a reasonable person to believe that 3xCA would *not* be supported on T-Mobile's network or any other network that has 3xCA capability.

I'm guessing that it will turn up eventually (by way of a software update) but, who knows when that might happen??

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Google isn't dragging anything. Something they didn't say would work doesn't work. It's on you for assuming it would.
But it's the internet so of course you blame Google and not yourself.

They did say it would work. Its listed in specs. And they've already admitted that it doesn't work currently and they are "working" on a fix. Google says they need to work with Tmobile in order to fix this, Tmobile said it's entirely Google's fault

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The specs say, "Supports up to CAT 12 (600Mbps DL / 75Mbps UL) depending on carrier support". Clearly T-Mobile and Google haven't done whatever it is they need to do together in order for T-Mobile to support it on this device. All of those "only on Verizon" and "exclusively on Verizon", etc. quotes would lead me to suspect there are some thing that they've partnered with Verizon on that might not work everywhere. I'd think that would at least cause an average reasonable person to look it up and/or ask the question, rather than to assume it does work only to find out it doesn't.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The specs say, "Supports up to CAT 12 (600Mbps DL / 75Mbps UL) depending on carrier support". Clearly T-Mobile and Google haven't done whatever it is they need to do together in order for T-Mobile to support it on this device. All of those "only on Verizon" and "exclusively on Verizon", etc. quotes would lead me to suspect there are some thing that they've partnered with Verizon on that might not work everywhere. I'd think that would at least cause an average reasonable person to look it up and/or ask the question, rather than to assume it does work only to find out it doesn't.

You are saying Google partnered with Verizon, disabled 3xCA support for Tmobile, and now claiming they are fixing it? (I also think it works on ATT, not sure about this)

I would think they just screwed something up, that's all. Just like they screwed up LTE bands, Bluetooth, mic, and speaker at launch

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You are saying Google partnered with Verizon, disabled 3xCA support for Tmobile, and now claiming they are fixing it? (I also think it works on ATT, not sure about this)

I would think they just screwed something up, that's all. Just like they screwed up LTE bands, Bluetooth, mic, and speaker at launch
No I don't think anything was disabled, I think Google and TMO didn't yet work together to enable it. TMO seems to think their Network supports it and therefore it should work. They most likely have to actually work for specific inclusion to ensure their implementation is fully compatible. That's assuming there are difference between the bands and methods that Verizon utilizes.