S8 or wait for Pixel 2?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I love the S8, it's got a top notch camera, QHD+ bezeless display, latest and greatest processor with a lovely iris scanner. :)

I think it would be really hard to wait until December for the Pixel 2. I do love stock android and its always the winner for me. I'm sure Google is going to pull out all the stops with their next device.

Maybe get the S8 now, enjoy it for a little while and then pick up the Pixel 2 in December.
That's what I'm also thinking of. Like I said, I love stock Android, but I want to try out something different as well. The always on Display really intrigues me as well. The bezel less screen looks as though the phones screen is painted it looks so damn clear.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I love the S8, it's got a top notch camera, QHD+ bezeless display, latest and greatest processor with a lovely iris scanner. :)

I think it would be really hard to wait until December for the Pixel 2. I do love stock android and its always the winner for me. I'm sure Google is going to pull out all the stops with their next device.

Maybe get the S8 now, enjoy it for a little while and then pick up the Pixel 2 in December.

According to this article and the review on AndroidPolice the other day, the differences between the S8 camera and Pixels are negligible, with the Pixel doing better in some cases, and that's not too shabby for a phone with what's considered last year's hardware. It's actually nice that it's gotten to the point where the cameras are so close that you don't have to have it as a deciding factor and can use other factors to determine which phone will better suit your needs/wants.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/04/24/camera-galaxy-s8-pixel-g6/

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm also thinking of. Like I said, I love stock Android, but I want to try out something different as well. The always on Display really intrigues me as well. The bezel less screen looks as though the phones screen is painted it looks so damn clear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't always on display the same thing as ambient display on the Nexus/Pixel and Active Display on Motorola phones? Doesn't it actually shut off but comes on when it sense movement or a double tap on the screen? If it in fact does constantly stay on, does it at least move around like a screensaver? Otherwise I'd be worried about burn in on an AMOLED display (yes, it does happen, I've got a few AMOLED phones that have it in varying stages of permanence).

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Call me a Google fan boy, call me Claremont Walworth, call me whatever you want. Pure Android. Google. Nexus, Pixel, Dixie, whatever. Google.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't always on display the same thing as ambient display on the Nexus/Pixel and Active Display on Motorola phones? Doesn't it actually shut off but comes on when it sense movement or a double tap on the screen? If it in fact does constantly stay on, does it at least move around like a screensaver? Otherwise I'd be worried about burn in on an AMOLED display (yes, it does happen, I've got a few AMOLED phones that have it in varying stages of permanence).
No, it's always on unless it's in your pocket. You're correct in that it does shift around every so often to avoid burn in. I went through the Note 7 fiasco before my Pixel. Functionally, I personally prefer ambient display. With Always On Display it only shows the icons of the apps that have notifications, no other details. Maybe that has changed with the S8, but not that I've seen from images online.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No, it's always on unless it's in your pocket. You're correct in that it does shift around every so often to avoid burn in. I went through the Note 7 fiasco before my Pixel. Functionally, I personally prefer ambient display. With Always On Display it only shows the icons of the apps that have notifications, no other details. Maybe that has changed with the S8, but not that I've seen from images online.
That's cool because I just bought the Galaxy s8 and trial testing as we speak!

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
That's cool because I just bought the Galaxy s8 and trial testing as we speak!
I'm still using the Pixel and don't see that changing, I love stock Android too much, but man, that S8 is a beautiful piece of hardware and I've been reading/watching a lot of reviews on it. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it. The Note 7 was my first and only Samsung phone and that experience kind of soured me on the brand. If that hardware was running something close the the Pixel or Moto software I'd probably be all over it.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using the Pixel and don't see that changing, I love stock Android too much, but man, that S8 is a beautiful piece of hardware and I've been reading/watching a lot of reviews on it. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it. The Note 7 was my first and only Samsung phone and that experience kind of soured me on the brand. If that hardware was running something close the the Pixel or Moto software I'd probably be all over it.
You know I'll tell you one thing right off the bat with the esade even a few hours after buying it from Verizon, the customization is nice. Yeah it's got a new get 7 nougat and it's a Samsung android device. But the theming and the customization from touchwiz is nice. That is the 1 thing I will admit that I miss. I mean sure I can say that the phone is fast as hel, it's only a few hours old only time will tell. I'll keep everyone here including yourself updated as to what happens. But yeah, the curve displays stunning and gorgeous.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
For OP: Consider the LG G6. I have it and a Pixel. My Pixel sits on the table most of the time since I like the G6 so much. So underrated. Try it for a couple of weeks. You might keep it,

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
The differences between the S8 camera and Pixels are negligible, with the Pixel doing better in some cases

We have gotten to a nice place where all high end smartphones provide a great base camera and if you want specific enhanced features then you can purchase that device. For example, good stabilisation with the Pixel or zoom capabilities with the iPhone 7 Plus or maybe super high slow-mo 960ps on the Sony Xperia XZ Premium :)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For OP: Consider the LG G6. I have it and a Pixel. My Pixel sits on the table most of the time since I like the G6 so much. So underrated. Try it for a couple of weeks. You might keep it,
You know what's interesting is that when lg releases a flagship phone , most people don't really care about it vs Samsung, and Google.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
To most people LG is a budget brand in regards to smartphones.
Yes apparently so. I mean the LG g6 does look like a very good phone. However, everyone on the forums / blogs isn't buying it. People are either buy the galaxy s 8, or they're waiting to see what the pixel 2 is all about.

njstone9

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

Sadly where I live you can't return phones.

I like the G6 camera and the ratio and the flat screen.

I'm hoping Google top it in the autumn I guess otherwise I might be tempted.

But then again... slower to get Android updates. Sigh.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't have that issue with Spotify. It does show on the lockscreen widget, but if I'm not playing music and the app is not open, there's no AOD notification.

I looked at the LG g6 for a little bit. Unfortunately though, LG doesn't make good use of the extra screen real estate. The phone also doesn't look as sexy to be honest.
Sadly where I live you can't return phones.

I like the G6 camera and the ratio and the flat screen.

I'm hoping Google top it in the autumn I guess otherwise I might be tempted.

But then again... slower to get Android updates. Sigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech