Even if you could, Should anyone buy a Pixel right now?

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
This article pretty much says it all. Anyone considering a Pixel right now should wait for the Pixel 2. Google has some quality control issues to work out with their first try at this....

The Google Pixel is a notoriously hard phone to get a hold of. Persistent stock issues have plagued Google's first "in-house" handset from day one, and things really are little to no better six months after the launch event. Honestly, it's a bit embarrassing just how consistently incompetent Google seems to be at keeping a reasonable inventory of phones available for purchase. But setting that aside, as one of the Pixel's most ardent evangelists, I think there's something it's probably time for me to come clean on: Even if you could buy a Pixel today, I really think you shouldn't.

Opinion: Even if you can, you probably shouldn't buy a Google Pixel anymore

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I feel like this is there age of complaints. Nothing is ever good enough these days.

I'd buy it again. I may buy one for my daughter. Verizon has all the pixels. I can go into any of their stores nearby and they're available.

Maybe that's the real issue?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
He also says that it's still the best Android phone.

It basically read to me like "don't get it now, because in 6 months something better will be here." Not sure I agree with it. He also says the price will drop when trying to resell down the road. Well no kidding. That's like any Android phone. By this argument, you probably shouldn't get an S8 now because the Note 8 will be out in 6 months, and it'll be better than the S8 and the price of that will drop.

I also do not get the new obsession with water resistance. It isn't waterproof. None of these phones are. Apple doesn't even cover water damage in their warranty. I've been using cell phones for 20 years. 7 of those years were spent in college/law school. Not one time have I damaged or ruined a phone from water. The Pixel is water resistant enough for the average person. If it's on the counter and gets splashed, it'll be fine. Or if you drop it in a puddle, it'll be fine. That's what most people need. Not a phone you can take scuba diving with you for photography.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It's the only phone I've ever had that hasn't slowed down 6 months after I got it. I love new and shiny, and usually get a new phone every year, so far, I can't see anything else that I would rather have for it now

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
If I knew someone who was looking to get a new phone today, my first 3 recommendations would be the pixel. I wholeheartedly disagree with his opinion.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It is both available right now and still one of the best devices available; yes they can buy it now - but we're not too far out to justify waiting for the next version for those that can wait.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
He also says that it's still the best Android phone.

It basically read to me like "don't get it now, because in 6 months something better will be here." Not sure I agree with it. He also says the price will drop when trying to resell down the road. Well no kidding. That's like any Android phone. By this argument, you probably shouldn't get an S8 now because the Note 8 will be out in 6 months, and it'll be better than the S8 and the price of that will drop.

I also do not get the new obsession with water resistance. It isn't waterproof. None of these phones are. Apple doesn't even cover water damage in their warranty. I've been using cell phones for 20 years. 7 of those years were spent in college/law school. Not one time have I damaged or ruined a phone from water. The Pixel is water resistant enough for the average person. If it's on the counter and gets splashed, it'll be fine. Or if you drop it in a puddle, it'll be fine. That's what most people need. Not a phone you can take scuba diving with you for photography.

Love water proofing on phones. I am outdoors a lot hiking and exploring in the AZ mountains and deserts. We cross streams and sometimes small rivers while out and about.

Having waterproofing allows me to just carry my S8+ or 7+ in my pocket and not worry about it getting wet. I have slipped and fallen into small creeks and gotten totally drenched (not on purpose mind you) and having waterproofing has saved my phone.

It is so much easier to just grab my phone out of my pocket to take a quick snap than carrying it in a plastic bag or having it in some bulky water proof case that does not always read touches.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Love water proofing on phones. I am outdoors a lot hiking and exploring in the AZ mountains and deserts. We cross streams and sometimes small rivers while out and about.

Having waterproofing allows me to just carry my S8+ or 7+ in my pocket and not worry about it getting wet. I have slipped and fallen into small creeks and gotten totally drenched (not on purpose mind you) and having waterproofing has saved my phone.

It is so much easier to just grab my phone out of my pocket to take a quick snap than carrying it in a plastic bag or having it in some bulky water proof case that does not always read touches.
Think he's saying that none of them are water proof and the level of resistance is approximately the same for most users with most users cases.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Think he's saying that none of them are water proof and the level of resistance is approximately the same for most users with most users cases.

I am saying that not all use cases are the same. So it is nice to have a feature than to not have a feature such as waterproofing. I think the Pixel 2 will have more waterproofing than the first gen Pixels.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am saying that not all use cases are the same. So it is nice to have a feature than to not have a feature such as waterproofing. I think the Pixel 2 will have more waterproofing than the first gen Pixels.
I think you're right they might, but HTC didn't this year so not positive if there's an issue or not. The S8, et al aren't waterproof though and no one covers water damage in their standard warranty. Yes more resistance can be a good thing, but I try to keep all devices as dry as possible because I don't trust the ratings or the non existent support of something doesn't go well.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I think you're right they might, but HTC didn't this year so not positive if there's an issue or not. The S8, et al aren't waterproof though and no one covers water damage in their standard warranty. Yes more resistance can be a good thing, but I try to keep all devices as dry as possible because I don't trust the ratings or the non existent support of something doesn't go well.

hmmm...i have taken my S7 edge and S8+ both under water in a pool. I have videoed my son under water with both phones at separate times just to test the waterproofing. They both worked great!

It would be nice to have that level waterproofing for the Pixel 2. Honestly...I leave my Pixel XL at home when going hiking or fishing or exploring. I take my S8+ or 7+ because of their waterproofing.
It's a shame because I take a lot of outdoor pictures and feel like the Pixel XL has a slightly better post processing than my other phones.

I can't wait for the Pixel 2.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
hmmm...i have taken my S7 edge and S8+ both under water in a pool. I have videoed my son under water with both phones at separate times just to test the waterproofing. They both worked great!

It would be nice to have that level waterproofing for the Pixel 2. Honestly...I leave my Pixel XL at home when going hiking or fishing or exploring. I take my S8+ or 7+ because of their waterproofing.
It's a shame because I take a lot of outdoor pictures and feel like the Pixel XL has a slightly better post processing than my other phones.

I can't wait for the Pixel 2.

Be advised that the phones are water resistant, not water proof and only tested under stagnant tap water conditions. Meaning it wasn't tested for pool usage.

Also, Be advised though that neither have waterproof guarantee. If it is water damaged then Samsung and Apple won't fix it under warranty.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Be advised that the phones are water resistant, not water proof and only tested under stagnant tap water conditions. Meaning it wasn't tested for pool usage.

Also, Be advised though that neither have waterproof guarantee. If it is water damaged then Samsung and Apple won't fix it under warranty.

And that's what I was getting at - they aren't WATERPROOF. And if they suffer from water damage, they aren't covered by the manufacturer's warranty. The Pixel, as well as the HTC 10 and the new HTC that's coming down the pipeline, are water resistant enough for most people. We need it be protected sitting on the counter top and getting splashed. Or walking outside to your car in the rain. Not necessarily taking it hiking through a waterfall or scuba diving.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
And that's what I was getting at - they aren't WATERPROOF. And if they suffer from water damage, they aren't covered by the manufacturer's warranty. The Pixel, as well as the HTC 10 and the new HTC that's coming down the pipeline, are water resistant enough for most people. We need it be protected sitting on the counter top and getting splashed. Or walking outside to your car in the rain. Not necessarily taking it hiking through a waterfall or scuba diving.

I have done some under water video with my S7 edge and S8+ with no ill effects.
I have hiked through creeks and streams....through the Grand Canyon at the bottom in chest high water with no effects. So while you are right....they are NOT water proof per se. They do a right damn good job at it.....

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't buy it new, but for the right used price it can be worth it. I'm thinking $400 is the right price.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
This time year, unless your getting some really good deals, the only phones you should get are the Galaxy S or LG phones (and HTC but they really didn't release anything this year). But even then, the best time to get a phone is in the fall.

My cut off is March to September you should avoid getting a new phone unless you get a really good deal.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Until the reduce the bezels and add wireless charging I will not be buying a Pixel. Those are my requirements. I will say having the IP68 water resistance is very nice piece of mind... I dare you guys to take you pixel and swim with it...LOL :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21