Leaving location services on high accuracy

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I've always changed my location services to battery saving mode to...well, save battery. I'm not use if this is new in nougat or what but any time something needs to use location services it asks me to enable high security and I have to click cancel to keep it on battery saving.

So my question is if I leave it on high accuracy am I really going to see a detrimental drop in battery life or is it nominal

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I know what high accuracy is and I enable it when I'm using Google maps for nav. I'm just wondering if leaving it on all the time will noticably impact battery.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I was having battery drain but it was because stupid Snapchat had location access and polls continuously while open. Revoked the access and all is well

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Looks like it doesn't have any effect on battery

I agree. Maps kept asking me to turn on high accuracy so I would turn it on and then off when I was finished with maps. I decided to just leave it on 3 days ago and see what happens. Battery is performing exactly the same. No difference whether it's on or off.

Last edited:

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I keep location services off unless I'm actually using it to navigate (Gaia) or track (Fitbit). I have seen my phone keep trying to locate a GPS signal inside buildings! Also I turn WIFI off unless I'm certain I'm in range of a trusted router.
Cellphones is stuppid.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I keep location services off unless I'm actually using it to navigate (Gaia) or track (Fitbit). I have seen my phone keep trying to locate a GPS signal inside buildings! Also I turn WIFI off unless I'm certain I'm in range of a trusted router.
Cellphones is stuppid.
All of that does nothing to benefit you. If anything you're just making life harder by having to toggle those things when you need them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Extending battery life and keeping myself aware of what running and what's not.
There is no battery life savings. Keeping it on high accuracy doesn't mean it's running all the time.. only when used. Such as it wouldn't be used till you initiate GPS or something .. same way you're doing it now.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Phone will last all day with everything on to its fullest. Unless you are out in the woods with no power, there is no reason why to shut things down.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Phone will last all day with everything on to its fullest. Unless you are out in the woods with no power, there is no reason why to shut things down.

Agreed.

I keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on 24/7, and Location is always set to High Accuracy. I have always done the same, starting with my Nexus 4, 5, 6, 6P and now Pixel XL. Battery easily lasts a full day and, worst case, I plug it in to my car charger on the drive home from work.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
So, after browsing this thread, there really are no battery savings by using the battery saver option??? I am tired of switching back and forth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie