Thinking of buying the pixel

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
So I'm thinking of switching to the pixel from my iPhone 7, what are people's thoughts on the pixel 7 months later? Is pixel better then the nexus?

slowtbss

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I like the fingerprint sensor location and that it's running the beta Android O.....that's about it. I came from note 7 and miss my Samsung. I'm on VZW and I do have the bootloader Unlocked but not rooted. If I could sell it for what I owe I would sell it.

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
My wife has a regular sized iPhone 7, i have a regular sized pixel 128GB. I'll disclaim that i have always been an Android over ios guy, but here is what i notice whenever i use her phone:

The pixel camera is noticeably better, especially in low light or when zooming in on a picture. The iPhone pictures get grainy much quicker than the pixel pictures.

The battery life of the pixel will be about the same or better. My wife does little to maintain battery life throughout the day, she just plugs the thing in whenever she is near a wall. I'm sure that doesn't help the battery, but within a few months the battery life is very short for a premium phone. I'm my opinion iphones have always been guilty of this.

Siri is irritating and intrusive, Google Assistant is functional and ignorable. I don't use the voice portion of it, but Assistant is fairly helpful and doesn't just pop up. Siri is constantly replying to random conversations between my wife and i which have nothing to do with her phone. She also noticed that siri starts to type out whatever it hears people say frequently.

The phones are basically the same size, bezel included. If you are fine with an iPhone design, don't worry about people complaining about the pixel bezels. They are the same and you don't notice when you're using the phone.

The pixel is very fast and smooth operating. There's very few insurance i can recall when it lags or freezes. Usually it'll be an apps fault if something goes wrong (ie enrobe is complaining about the app in the app's review section so it's not just my phone).

If you have Android experience and like the extra control and ability to customize, you'll love the "pure" Android experience with the pixel. I got mine from Verizon and there is not one single app that can't be uninstalled. I think the "my Verizon" app was the only Verizon app at all, and i use it to access my account and track data usage.

I guess that's it for now.

Mhd 1999

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I have had the pixel for about 8 weeks. This is the best phone I've ever owned. Blazing fast performance, awesome camera (the best one), very good battery. Plus, you'll get fast software updates and unlimited storage for photos and videos. So I definitely recommend it

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with slowmyke.

I own the iPhone 7 and the 32gb Google Pixel. My experiences have been about the same as he stated. My iPhone has been really sluggish and acting weird.

I decided to get the Pixel (again) and see what I thought. The iPhone 7 has been in a box for a while and the Pixel has been my daily driver. The Pixel is smooth, fast, and just strikes me as more of an "adult" phone than the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling the iPhone 7 yet...... But, if the Pixel continues to perform as it has lately, the iPhone may be listed on eBay..... Time will tell.

Bottom line - Pixel is worth the purchase. I got mine in mint condition with all accessories for just over $300 and couldn't be happier.

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
My wife has a regular sized iPhone 7, i have a regular sized pixel 128GB. I'll disclaim that i have always been an Android over ios guy, but here is what i notice whenever i use her phone:

The pixel camera is noticeably better, especially in low light or when zooming in on a picture. The iPhone pictures get grainy much quicker than the pixel pictures.

The battery life of the pixel will be about the same or better. My wife does little to maintain battery life throughout the day, she just plugs the thing in whenever she is near a wall. I'm sure that doesn't help the battery, but within a few months the battery life is very short for a premium phone. I'm my opinion iphones have always been guilty of this.

Siri is irritating and intrusive, Google Assistant is functional and ignorable. I don't use the voice portion of it, but Assistant is fairly helpful and doesn't just pop up. Siri is constantly replying to random conversations between my wife and i which have nothing to do with her phone. She also noticed that siri starts to type out whatever it hears people say frequently.

The phones are basically the same size, bezel included. If you are fine with an iPhone design, don't worry about people complaining about the pixel bezels. They are the same and you don't notice when you're using the phone.

The pixel is very fast and smooth operating. There's very few insurance i can recall when it lags or freezes. Usually it'll be an apps fault if something goes wrong (ie enrobe is complaining about the app in the app's review section so it's not just my phone).

If you have Android experience and like the extra control and ability to customize, you'll love the "pure" Android experience with the pixel. I got mine from Verizon and there is not one single app that can't be uninstalled. I think the "my Verizon" app was the only Verizon app at all, and i use it to access my account and track data usage.

I guess that's it for now.

Thank you very much for the very specific details I really appreciate it. I do plan on keeping my iPhone 7 with the pixel . If I ever get a Android its always Google phones because I want immediate software updates

Last edited:

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with slowmyke.

I own the iPhone 7 and the 32gb Google Pixel. My experiences have been about the same as he stated. My iPhone has been really sluggish and acting weird.

I decided to get the Pixel (again) and see what I thought. The iPhone 7 has been in a box for a while and the Pixel has been my daily driver. The Pixel is smooth, fast, and just strikes me as more of an "adult" phone than the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling the iPhone 7 yet...... But, if the Pixel continues to perform as it has lately, the iPhone may be listed on eBay..... Time will tell.

Bottom line - Pixel is worth the purchase. I got mine in mint condition with all accessories for just over $300 and couldn't be happier.

I've had no issues with my iPhone 7. Camera does suck on low light. But the Google pixel Android 0 is really impressing me. Thank you for the detailed thoughts I ordered one from my carrier but unfortunately they only had 32GB so I hope that doesn't hurt me.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had no issues with my iPhone 7. Camera does suck on low light. But the Google pixel Android 0 is really impressing me. Thank you for the detailed thoughts I ordered one from my carrier but unfortunately they only had 32GB so I hope that doesn't hurt me.

I have the 32gb model and am fine on storage. With all my usual apps loaded, I still have almost 20gb available. I don't game, watch movies, or use a bunch of social media apps. Mine is mainly for calls, text, email, pictures. I mainly use mine for work. And this thing is a workhorse. Never fails me.

Hope you enjoy yours. Like I said, I haven't sold the iPhone yet. I bounce back and forth a little. I'm trying to stick with the Pixel for a solid month and see what I think after that.

I pull the iPhone out a little at home on WiFi only. It just doesn't seem as smooth as the Pixel is. Hard to explain. But, I used iPhones for a few years so I keep returning there. Not sure about this time though. Pixel has been a game changer for me. Makes Android a lot more appealing.

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the 32gb model and am fine on storage. With all my usual apps loaded, I still have almost 20gb available. I don't game, watch movies, or use a bunch of social media apps. Mine is mainly for calls, text, email, pictures. I mainly use mine for work. And this thing is a workhorse. Never fails me.

Hope you enjoy yours. Like I said, I haven't sold the iPhone yet. I bounce back and forth a little. I'm trying to stick with the Pixel for a solid month and see what I think after that.

I pull the iPhone out a little at home on WiFi only. It just doesn't seem as smooth as the Pixel is. Hard to explain. But, I used iPhones for a few years so I keep returning there. Not sure about this time though. Pixel has been a game changer for me. Makes Android a lot more appealing.

I'm the same way. Always had a iPhone.i use to switch between iPhone and nexus. But the pixel deff does seem nothing like the nexus devices, I was ant to see what apple has plans for iOS 11 and iPhone 8. But I couldn't resist getting the pixel and trying that has my daily driver. How's the 5" screen? Compared to iPhone 7 screen 4"7? Is it still easy to see in one hand ?

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
How's the 5" screen? Compared to iPhone 7 screen 4"7? Is it still easy to see in one hand ?

I have big hands/long fingers and one hand use is very easy for me. I think it would still be pretty easy for someone with smaller hands to use though.

One thing i will say to watch it for is the keyboard on the pixel. If you are not good with slide-style typing on Android, you may take a while to get used to typing on the pixel the same way you would on an iPhone. My wife taps each letter on her iPhone and can't stand typing on my pixel. She'll have me the phone and make me do it. Part of the issue is the on-screen back/home/menu buttons, they are easy to run into if you're not used to the dimensions of the keyboard you're using.

That said, the Google keyboard is excellent as extremely customizable with different functions and gestures. But if you don't like it, there are so many options to download that you should be fine finding one that suites you. And if you are already used to slide-typing, you'll have no issue other than a brief warm-up period. (this is all for one-hand use, of course. Two-hand typing should be fine however you're used to)

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have big hands/long fingers and one hand use is very easy for me. I think it would still be pretty easy for someone with smaller hands to use though.

One thing i will say to watch it for is the keyboard on the pixel. If you are not good with slide-style typing on Android, you may take a while to get used to typing on the pixel the same way you would on an iPhone. My wife taps each letter on her iPhone and can't stand typing on my pixel. She'll have me the phone and make me do it. Part of the issue is the on-screen back/home/menu buttons, they are easy to run into if you're not used to the dimensions of the keyboard you're using.

That said, the Google keyboard is excellent as extremely customizable with different functions and gestures. But if you don't like it, there are so many options to download that you should be fine finding one that suites you. And if you are already used to slide-typing, you'll have no issue other than a brief warm-up period. (this is all for one-hand use, of course. Two-hand typing should be fine however you're used to)

I use Gboard on iPhone so I hope it's the same on the pixel. Does pixel use the same sms app that the nexus phones did?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Telus mobility in Canada

Hello, fellow Canadian! I would still say the Pixel is relevant and great today, despite being on the market for seven months. Plus, since it's been out for a while, it's probably dropped a bit in price. Is Telus offering some kind of deal on it? Are you meeting the end of your contract?

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello, fellow Canadian! I would still say the Pixel is relevant and great today, despite being on the market for seven months. Plus, since it's been out for a while, it's probably dropped a bit in price. Is Telus offering some kind of deal on it? Are you meeting the end of your contract?

I actually signed a 2 year contract 90$ plan and paid 200$ for it

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting for it. I did it online. It's coming in the mail. Telus is great. Their lte speeds and customer service is better then Rogers lol

Oh, awesome! Let us know how you like it! And I have no doubts about their customer service being better... Lool.

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I use Gboard on iPhone so I hope it's the same on the pixel. Does pixel use the same sms app that the nexus phones did?

It uses Google's "messages" app. I think it's probably the standard on the Nexus phones as well now. It's a solid app, nothing crazy and nothing seems to be left out that you could want in an sms app.

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
It uses Google's "messages" app. I think it's probably the standard on the Nexus phones as well now. It's a solid app, nothing crazy and nothing seems to be left out that you could want in an sms app.

I want to use allo but people are saying it's just like hangout but I been reading you can send sms through it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith