01-22-2017 03:23 AM
47 12
tools
    The only reason I root is so I can avoid confirmation dialogs. I have an onscreen widget that lets me toggle things like GPS, Airplane mode, etc without having to go through the silly warnings. I also like Titanium Backup (I bought the full version) and that requires root.
    11-08-2016 02:34 PM
    Well it looks like my Pixel is non-rootable. When I go into dev options, the OEM unlocking option is off and grayed out. When I run "adb devices", nothing is found. I'm trying to decide if this is a deal-breaker since I still have 10-ish days to give this phone back.
    11-08-2016 06:00 PM
    Well it looks like my Pixel is non-rootable. When I go into dev options, the OEM unlocking option is off and grayed out. When I run "adb devices", nothing is found. I'm trying to decide if this is a deal-breaker since I still have 10-ish days to give this phone back.
    Have you used Skipsoft's tool?

[TOOL] SKIPSOFT ANDROID TOOLKIT -Google Pixe… | Google Pixel
    11-10-2016 07:25 AM
    I am guessing you have the Verizon version and are unable to unlock your bootloader.
    There is a method to unlock your bootloader and then root. However, there is a rumor it may be patched with the next November security update.

Google "XDA Verizon Bootloader Pixel" to get the appropriate software.

http://www.xda-developers.com/verizo...been-released/
    11-10-2016 08:00 AM
    I am guessing you have the Verizon version and are unable to unlock your bootloader.
    There is a method to unlock your bootloader and then root. However, there is a rumor it may be patched with the next November security update.

Google "XDA Verizon Bootloader Pixel" to get the appropriate software.

Verizon Pixel/Pixel XL Bootloader Unlock has been Released
    I tried that once and it didn't work, but I might have done it wrong. I'll try it again tonight.

I have an update pending that I keep postponing. Maybe that's the patch.
    11-10-2016 08:44 AM
    I tried that once and it didn't work, but I might have done it wrong. I'll try it again tonight.

I have an update pending that I keep postponing. Maybe that's the patch.
    Did you buy your phone from Verizon or Best Buy? This is extremely important to know if you are going to be messing with the bootloader.
    11-10-2016 02:45 PM
    Did you buy your phone from Verizon or Best Buy? This is extremely important to know if you are going to be messing with the bootloader.
    Verizon

My problem is that when I run 'adb devices' I get an empty list.
    Running 'fastboot devices' gives me a long number followed by "fastboot"
    Running the dePixel8 push command results in "no devices found".
    11-10-2016 04:41 PM
    Verizon

My problem is that when I run 'adb devices' I get an empty list.
    Running 'fastboot devices' gives me a long number followed by "fastboot"
    Running the dePixel8 push command results in "no devices found".
    Have you enabled USB Debugging?

Try that to see if adb or fastboot works.

fastboot will only do anything if you are actually in bootloader mode.

Assuming you can get adb to recognize your device, you can get in bootloader mode by running:

adb reboot bootloader
    11-10-2016 05:17 PM
    Have you enabled USB Debugging?

Try that to see if adb or fastboot works.
    Sure have. The only think I can't do is enable 'OEM Unlocking'.
    11-10-2016 05:20 PM
    Sure have. The only think I can't do is enable 'OEM Unlocking'.
    What operating system are you running? Have you installed SDK manager? It may sound stupid, but you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers.
    11-10-2016 05:24 PM
    What operating system are you running? Have you installed SDK manager? It may sound stupid, but you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers.
    GMTA! I just installed SDK manager and the Google USB drivers.

The PC I'm trying this on is Win 7 but I also have a Linux machine at my disposal.
    11-10-2016 05:52 PM
    OMG! I was doing it all wrong! I was trying to run dePixel8 from the bootloader. It just ran fine with the phone on normally. But of course now that I've fiddled with the USB drivers, the PC can no longer see the phone in bootloader mode. SO CLOSE! Arghh!
    11-10-2016 06:05 PM
    GMTA! I just installed SDK manager and the Google USB drivers.

The PC I'm trying this on is Win 7 but I also have a Linux machine at my disposal.
    Cool. I'm also running Windows 7. After everything is installed, I would try rebooting your machine. Connect your phone, open a command prompt and go to the directory where adb.exe is stored.

Try running adb devices again

Make sure USB DEBUGGING is turned on.

If that doesn't recognize your device, pull down your notifications menu from your phone.

You should see an option that says USB CHARGING THIS DEVICE-TAP FOR MORE OPTIONS.

I would start with Charge Only and keep trying other USB OPTIONS to see if adb finally recognizes your device. Good Luck.
    11-10-2016 06:12 PM
    YESSSSSS! Bootloader unlocked!! Thanks for everyone's help with this!
    11-10-2016 06:15 PM
    Ok, now that I've tried to root...

I followed the 5 steps listed here: How to root Google Pixel and Pixel XL in 5 steps

It wrote a new image to my phone, but now that I've installed Superuser, it says it's not rooted. Weird.

EDIT: Second time was the charm! All rooted!
    xocomaox likes this.
    11-10-2016 06:57 PM

I followed the 5 steps listed here: How to root Google Pixel and Pixel XL in 5 steps

It wrote a new image to my phone, but now that I've installed Superuser, it says it's not rooted. Weird.
    Just out of curiosity, what did you do that finally got adb to recognize your device?

Regarding rooting your phone, did you use a fastboot flash command or a fastboot boot command?

Here's where I went to get root:

[ROOT] SuperSU | Google Pixel XL

Obviously, download whatever file applies to your phone---Pixel or Pixel XL.

When you extract the boot-to-root.img file, place it in the same directory that has fastboot.exe

Make sure you type: fastboot boot boot-to-root.img

and not fastboot flash boot-to-root.img

Good Luck.

When done successfully, the root checker app from the PLAY STORE will confirm you are rooted. However, not all root apps will work. However, this is mostly due to developers that need to update their app to support the Pixel and Android 7.0

The root method for the Pixel/Pixel XL is a little different the phone has 2 separate data partitions.

- Go into bootloader mode, if not there already
    --- Turn off device
    --- Hold volume down and power
    - Run "fastboot boot boot-to-root.img"
    --- Wait for a few minutes. The device will reboot at least twice
    - You should be rooted once Android is fully booted up
    11-10-2016 07:43 PM

Just out of curiosity, what did you do that finally got adb to recognize your device?

Regarding rooting your phone, did you use a fastboot flash command or a fastboot boot command?

Here's where I went to get root:

[ROOT] SuperSU | Google Pixel XL

Obviously, download whatever file applies to your phone---Pixel or Pixel XL.

When you extract the boot-to-root.img file, place it in the same directory that has fastboot.exe

Make sure you type: fastboot boot boot-to-root.img

and not fastboot flash boot-to-root.img

Good Luck.

When done successfully, the root checker app from the PLAY STORE will confirm you are rooted. However, not all root apps will work. However, this is mostly due to developers that need to update their app to support the Pixel and Android 7.0

The root method for the Pixel/Pixel XL is a little different the phone has 2 separate data partitions.

- Go into bootloader mode, if not there already
    --- Turn off device
    --- Hold volume down and power
    - Run "fastboot boot boot-to-root.img"
    --- Wait for a few minutes. The device will reboot at least twice
    - You should be rooted once Android is fully booted up
    xocomaox likes this.
    11-10-2016 07:43 PM
    Oddly, I uninstalled the Google USB drivers and installed the ADB ones. They both worked for me when the phone was booted, but only the ADB worked when it was in bootloader mode.

In the bootloader, I did:
    1. fastboot devices
    2. fastboot boot boot-to-root.img

That was it. The device rebooted and I got the unlocked padlock at the bottom of the boot screen, but once booted up there was no root. But it did reset the device back to a fresh image (good thing I backed everything up!)

I ran steps 1 and 2 above a second time and that gave me root, with no refresh. So I'm good now.

The only downside is that the cats easter egg game doesn't seem to work anymore.
    11-10-2016 10:59 PM
    And a reboot got the cats back
    11-11-2016 09:44 AM
    Glad you got that figured out. Unlocking the bootloader on the Verizon model is more difficult, but works.

Enjoy the phone the way it should be running.
    cydewaze likes this.
    11-11-2016 01:54 PM
    Glad you got that figured out. Unlocking the bootloader on the Verizon model is more difficult, but works.

Enjoy the phone the way it should be running.
    Right now the best part about having the rooted phone is that my power toggles across the top actually do what they're supposed to do. I can toggle GPS or Airplane mode without having to go through three confirmation screens. There is a learning curve though. Going from KitKat to Nougat has been eye-opening. A lot of things I used to need root for are now part of Android (like unlocking the phone when connected to various devices), so I might not need to set up as many Llama events as I had before.

Really waiting for Xposed to be ready for Nougat.

Some of the built-in ones don't seem to work as well, but I'm still figuring Nougat out.
    xocomaox likes this.
    11-12-2016 09:49 AM
    i probably wont root until the warranty expires.
    01-22-2017 03:23 AM
47 12