Full Cover Screen Protector: Finally one that fits.....

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have this on mine and agree it's a perfect fit to the display (which means you have to be extremely precise in applying it in order to maintain 100% of the display's visibility) and avoids the 'micro dots' others are using. Edge tapers nicely to the edge of the phone, and set into my Spigen Rugged Armor case you can't discern the edge at all.

That said, I have a couple of significant concerns with it:

First, in less than a week I have picked up some fine scratches (barely visible) on the Spigen glass - more than I had in over 2 months of using the Yootech screen protector. No changes in what cohabits my pocket. It's not terrible, but I suspect the Spigen glass will take scratches from softer abrasives than the Yootech.

Second, the glass doesn't fully adhere to the display. It appears that the transparent portion over the screen is designed to rest slightly above it, but I have about a 1" wide by 2" tall 'reverse bubble' in the center, where there is contact, with the remaining outer area of the screen not in contact. This is extremely noticeable when the display is off, but nearly undetectable when it is on.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Second, the glass doesn't fully adhere to the display. It appears that the transparent portion over the screen is designed to rest slightly above it, but I have about a 1" wide by 2" tall 'reverse bubble' in the center, where there is contact, with the remaining outer area of the screen not in contact. This is extremely noticeable when the display is off, but nearly undetectable when it is on.

I don't notice any bubbles on mine.

As for the edges, they are easier to lift than those on the protectors like Yootech but mine are still adhered fairly well.

I am using the Spigen Ultra-Hybrid Crystal case. The edges of that case actually touch the border of the protector.

So far I'm very satisfied especially after trying the others that didn't fit the viewable screen.

Time will tell if mine starts showing what yours does. Might be possible that the curved edges of the screen cause the protector's edges to lift and that might result in the bubble problem you described.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't notice any bubbles on mine.

As for the edges, they are easier to lift than those on the protectors like Yootech but mine are still adhered fairly well.

I am using the Spigen Ultra-Hybrid Crystal case. The edges of that case actually touch the border of the protector.

So far I'm very satisfied especially after trying the others that didn't fit the viewable screen.

Time will tell if mine starts showing what yours does. Might be possible that the curved edges of the screen cause the protector's edges to lift and that might result in the bubble problem you described.

I may not have described it well. By design, the Spigen evidently should have the entire screen with a very thin layer of air between the phone and glass. The "reverse bubble" I referenced was meant to denote an area in the middle portion where the glass does stick to the screen.

I did slide a piece of paper lightly between to separate them and that removed the issue, but anything more than very light pressure on the glass causes it to return.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I may not have described it well. By design, the Spigen evidently should have the entire screen with a very thin layer of air between the phone and glass.
And you note something I just realized: There is no adhesive under the glass, only under the white bevels. I found this out because I had some dust under the glass and popped it off. Yes, the dust was easily released. But then I noticed that the screen is less responsive in a couple spots, but with a little extra pressure works fine.

Apparently you can have your cake, but you may not be able to eat it. I'm thinkin' I'm going back to the type that is not edge to edge. Edge to edge looks better, but function over form is what i say.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Here's a shot that illustrates the issue I have:

IMG_20170207_103726.jpg

The protector is definitely not fully flush to the screen (except the area in the middle where you can see it's a bit darker). Wondering if maybe that's just mine? As it stands, it's very noticeable with the screen off or on darker content if there's any ambient light at all. On a bright screen it's only noticeable in very bright ambient lighting.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've had 2 of these on my Pixel.

The first had a bunch of very small spots that looked like bubbles. Nothing as massive as these. I'm talking at most 2mm, most much smaller........Might be caused by the lack of adhesive under the glass in both cases?

I got a replacement. That one doesn't show the bubbles, but as I said before, there are areas that are not as responsive as others.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had 2 of these on my Pixel.

The first had a bunch of very small spots that looked like bubbles. Nothing as massive as these. I'm talking at most 2mm, most much smaller........Might be caused by the lack of adhesive under the glass in both cases?

I got a replacement. That one doesn't show the bubbles, but as I said before, there are areas that are not as responsive as others.

I contacted Spigen and they're sending out a warranty replacement - I expect there was something wrong with my initial one that it is so drastic. No touch sensitivities anywhere on this one, so hoping for the same with the replacement. Will post when I get it in and on.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Kudos for Spigen for fast replacement - requested last Thursday, it came in the mail on Saturday.

The replacement fits perfectly like the original, and this time there is no bubble whatsoever like that shown in my prior post. I'm also not having any touch sensitivity issues, so have found what I think is, for me, the perfect screen protector.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issue and can only see the bubble when the screen is off or black at certain viewing angles. Mines a full screen protector but not a Spigen it's a Orzly I bought off Amazon.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I too love this product with the exception of the oily looking bubble in the center...

I would think that Spigen would recognize this issue with all the reviews and forums pointing out the problem...

I have install 2 of these Spigen protector and had the same issue with both...

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I got my 2nd replacement. It went on with no bubbles, and the screen is uniformly responsive. So it works well when it works as intended at least........

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have also the Spigen....

This "oily" spot didn't appear on install... But did show up 24 hours later.... Then disappeared...

It will reoccur on an occasion, but much smaller than the one displayed in your photo...

I have installed 3 of these and it has occurred on all 3... but again... it disappears and reappears (on occasion)... I'm thinking it might have to do with the heat or lack of heat from the screen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12