Google’s upcoming Pixel XL won’t be the powerhouse phablet Android fans were hoping for

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Specs, schmecs. If in regular use, it's fast and fluid, the numbers won't matter.

Agree with this on some levels. So I'd argue the android OEM that was the best example of this is motorola with the 2nd gen moto x. (I never had a first gen, but I had a third gen and though it was junk).

The 2nd gen moto x I had was awesome, aside from the camera. I twas much faster feeling than my nexus 6 and it didn't stutter or lag my nexus 6 even though it's specs weren't as good.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't make a snap decision based on a benchmark score which may or may not even be valid.
I expect it to be a standard 820 ish device , 4gb of ram etc.
Anyone expecting more is probably due for disappointment. I'm perfectly happy with that.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
If it was up to me, this phone would have a 1080p screen and Snapdragon 625. I'd make it less powerful for much better battery life.
Yes exactly. That's the reason I'm going to go after the Unlocked Moto Z Play that comes out October 20th. Was going to be the Pixel XL but I think for the first time in a very long time that I will keep the Google Nexus/Pixel line on hold. Can't wait for October 4th to see this announcement but I'm going for Battery life this time and Moto Z has proven to be f'n incredible.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes exactly. That's the reason I'm going to go after the Unlocked Moto Z Play that comes out October 20th. Was going to be the Pixel XL but I think for the first time in a very long time that I will keep the Google Nexus/Pixel line on hold. Can't wait for October 4th to see this announcement but I'm going for Battery life this time and Moto Z has proven to be f'n incredible.
I'm also considering this phone, which is why I said that lol. The only weakness to the phone is the camera and it isn't any worse than any other phone in its price range. It's between the Moto Z Play and whatever Google delivers. My Note 5 is a great phone, but the battery drain when idle is too high for me. It comes close to dying pretty much any time I take a day trip anywhere.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm also considering this phone, which is why I said that lol. The only weakness to the phone is the camera and it isn't any worse than any other phone in its price range. It's between the Moto Z Play and whatever Google delivers. My Note 5 is a great phone, but the battery drain when idle is too high for me. It comes close to dying pretty much any time I take a day trip anywhere.
Agreed. I'm on a Nexus 5 so the Moto Z Play camera is tons better haha.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Exact same situation with my note5

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
If it was up to me, this phone would have a 1080p screen and Snapdragon 625. I'd make it less powerful for much better battery life.

Your in a small minority, that wouldn't satisify the majority of nexus users at all. As a group we generally want the best specs that they can put in their, even when they sold the nexus 5 for like $400 people complained the specs were too low.

If that's what you want get a Moto Z play, it has all the bells and whistles on the outside, good camera, good screen etc and a 652 cpu inside.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Your in a small minority, that wouldn't satisify the majority of nexus users at all. As a group we generally want the best specs that they can put in their, even when they sold the nexus 5 for like $400 people complained the specs were too low.

If that's what you want get a Moto Z play, it has all the bells and whistles on the outside, good camera, good screen etc and a 652 cpu inside.

I know and it's the performance of the Moto Z Play that makes me want what it can do, but in other devices. The flagships with 820s have little to no performance advantage in real world use over the 625 and use way more battery. The 1080p resolution isn't that noticeable over 1440p. The Moto Z Play combined with a great camera would be better than any Nexus device.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If Google wants the premium price, they've got to put out a premium handset. If not, I'll just stick with my 5x. I'm happy with it.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree. This will be the first time in a long time I skip a Nexus device and go with something else. Eagerly waiting for my Moto Z Play. Craving that amazing battery life.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Has everyone forgotten the Nexus 6 already?

I paid $828 for my 32G model when it came out. That number included tax and the $120 Motocare insurance (I bought directly from Motorola).

The 6P was the first handset I skipped, and my 6 is running great. Just got 7.0 with Oct security yesterday. After a cache wipe it's fantastic (I might keep it a while longer).

After 2yrs, it's obvious that my yearly costs were just over $400 which is totally Nexus pricing.

Mine is still the original handset from Nov 2014 but I'll be using one of my insurance claims as the screen cracked not too long ago.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Has everyone forgotten the Nexus 6 already?

I paid $828 for my 32G model when it came out. That number included tax and the $120 Motocare insurance (I bought directly from Motorola).

The 6P was the first handset I skipped, and my 6 is running great. Just got 7.0 with Oct security yesterday. After a cache wipe it's fantastic (I might keep it a while longer).

After 2yrs, it's obvious that my yearly costs were just over $400 which is totally Nexus pricing.

Mine is still the original handset from Nov 2014 but I'll be using one of my insurance claims as the screen cracked not too long ago.

There's this thought that Nexus phones were all "cheap".

Whatever.

They weren't.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
There's this thought that Nexus phones were all "cheap".

Whatever.

They weren't.

How many stories have we read about people breaking their "cheap plastic" backs on their phones compared to glass? Remember those "cheap" indestructible plastic rotary phones? I'll take "cheap" any day of the week.

And metal backs make it harder for placement of antenna/charging coils/nfc etc.

Just another example of Crapple's "reality distortion field" at work.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How many stories have we read about people breaking their "cheap plastic" backs on their phones compared to glass? Remember those "cheap" indestructible plastic rotary phones? I'll take "cheap" any day of the week.

And metal backs make it harder for placement of antenna/charging coils/nfc etc.

Just another example of Crapple's "reality distortion field" at work.

Cheap as in price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995