Will Allo be pre installed?

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Looks from the recent leaks like there's a basic messenger app installed. Wouldn't be surprised if Allo was preloaded though, especially in India.

Kaenon11

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if it will or not.

The leaked screens show the old Messenger, SMS client - not Allo.
Allo could still be pre-installed alongside Duo.

Both are good apps through my testing.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
You're worried about Allo when you use an operating system and/or products from a company that tracks your every move, web search, location, browsing history, scans your emails, and records your voice? By the way so does your cell phone carrier, ISP, and virtually every web site and application you use (minus the voice recording). Those companies then bundle up that data and sell access to it to people like me to target you with ads, hand it over to governments, and do anything else they want with it.

Is this like slacktivism for privacy concerns?

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
No they didn't - they had to contract it out.

Like another poster said, use the incognito end to end encryption if you're that worried. I personally could give two monkey turds if anyone intercepts my conversations about ice hockey, NFL smack talk, and **** jokes.

I really wonder if they actually had to do this. I realize that this is what they *claimed* they had to do. But as this was an investigation with potential international terrorism links, it means they had the full weight of federal agencies behind it: NSA, Homeland Security, Cyber Warfare Division, etc. Rest assured that if they knew who to contact in order to "contract it out," they very likely had already tapped that same pool of people and secured some of them for regular employment...i.e., some who could themselves crack the device. Their "need" to get someone to do it may well have just been theater.

Secondly, I wouldn't be so sanguine about surveillance because you think you have nothing to hide. I say this because it's statistically likely that you have unknowingly committed three felonies today, due to the breadth and minutiae of the U.S. Criminal Code (see Silverglate, 2009). That means any law enforcement official (or legally gathered evidence) could theoretically be used against you if a police officer or prosecutor decided to press the point in court. No snark or disrespect is intended to you in this post, it's just intended as food for thought.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I really wonder if they actually had to do this. I realize that this is what they *claimed* they had to do. But as this was an investigation with potential international terrorism links, it means they had the full weight of federal agencies behind it: NSA, Homeland Security, Cyber Warfare Division, etc. Rest assured that if they knew who to contact in order to "contract it out," they very likely had already tapped that same pool of people and secured some of them for regular employment...i.e., some who could themselves crack the device. Their "need" to get someone to do it may well have just been theater.

Secondly, I wouldn't be so sanguine about surveillance because you think you have nothing to hide. I say this because it's statistically likely that you have unknowingly committed three felonies today, due to the breadth and minutiae of the U.S. Criminal Code (see Silverglate, 2009). That means any law enforcement official (or legally gathered evidence) could theoretically be used against you if a police officer or prosecutor decided to press the point in court. No snark or disrespect is intended to you in this post, it's just intended as food for thought.

Dude, you need to get some fresh air. Seriously ... put the smartphone/tablet down, go outside, and talk to another human being.

This is effing ridiculous!

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Dude, you need to get some fresh air. Seriously ... put the smartphone/tablet down, go outside, and talk to another human being.

This is effing ridiculous!

It really isn't though. Merely having the concern about privacy isnt ridiculous, thats the larger point. Some folks here responded to the OP with reasonable suggestions or observations (switch the app off, use end to end encryption, you're already saturated in data collection in a thousand other ways regardless, etc.). Others were a little more sarcastic, belittling the OP for having the worry in the first place, and...in your case...going so far as to suggest those who think they have "nothing to hide" shouldnt worry at *all* about surveillance or data collection. I find this point far less convincing.

And I find your decision to strawman my lifestyle (which of course you know nothing about), as opposed to ignoring my post or actually responding to the points I raised, unsurprising but highly suggestive.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar