Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By blackdogAC
  • 1 Post By Wildo6882
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By ramandeepghuman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC One (M8) GPe: Can you explain the benefits of stock Android?

    Here I am on an old gingerbread device... and considering the M8. If I opt for the GPE, I get timely android updates when available and I avoid carrier bloatware. So a few questions...

    What features besides Blinkfeed would a GPE lose?

    What is the bloatware on an ATT M8? Does it really suck that much?

    Is Sense6 that bad or is stock KitKat that good?

    Just trying to make an informed decision. Thanks for any help.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Welcome to Android Central! I don't have an HTC phone, but my preference is always for vanilla Android or something close to it (like Motoblur). Personally, I'd rather not have a skin that foists various features on me that I'm not necessarily interested in, and can't uninstall. A lot of those extra features often take up a significant amount of internal storage--Samsung is notorious for this, with the OS, TouchWiz, and other preinstalled bloatware taking up about 7 GB of internal storage on the Galaxy S3 and S4, meaning that the 16 GB phone actually had only about 9 GB of storage available to the user. But don't get me wrong--those extra features (be it from Samsung or HTC or whoever) can be quite useful for certain people, and so it's definitely a personal preference thing.
    Wildo6882 and Golfdriver97 like this.
  3. #3  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,806 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,246 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    At one time I didn't like Vanilla Android either. It had to be TouchWiz, I wouldn't have anything to do with any thing else. That was less than a year ago, now it is the exact opposite. I won't have anything to do with a skinned version of Android.

    Most of the carrier versions of phones often have tons of bloatware, with the Galaxy and Note series being very overweight. B. Diddy is right about TW, being at nearly 8 GB. Pretty significant on a 16 GB total memory.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    B. Diddy likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Thank you O Great Ambassadors!
    Right now I see that both options have advantages, and opinions are that Sense6 is significantly less intrusive than TW. There may be some very good stuff in Sense6 that I'd be giving up.
    Still, if I go standard Sense on an ATT phone, I'm going to get their bloatware too. And long waits on updates.
    BUT- if I go GPE, I'll have to pay $100 more...$700 plus tax straight cash!
    B. Diddy likes this.
  5. #5  
    uumeshh's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    the GPE would have its bootloader unlocked. this means easier rom flashing and Dev support. consider that if you like putting new roms on the phone
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    I've read about flashing ROMs for years. I don't know if I'd have the guts to mess with a $700 device...plus if stock android is so great, I probably wouldn't want to move to CM or something else.

    What's the legal status now regarding unlocking? If you're on ATT, can you legally obtain unlocking services on an ATT/contract phone?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    I've recently switched to AT&T and now that I can buy stock Android phones, I don't see me going to anything else. The bloated skins don't do much for me, and have tons of features that I just don't use. But like others have said, some of those features may be important to you. A lot of the extra things that skins provide can be somewhat replicated through 3rd party apps. Additionally, HTC is rumored to be releasing BlinkFeed to the masses, so you would be able to put that on stock Android, if you so desired. I also love not having to worry about carriers for updates. It's nice to have that "iOS-like" freedom where it comes straight from Google. And stock Android, IMHO, has become very beautiful in its own right, and I don't like to cover that up with flashy skins that don't do much for me.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    That is highly logical...
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    One more question: Are the unlocked phones (for AT&T) sold on Amazon, loaded with the carrier stuff?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    One more question: Are the unlocked phones (for AT&T) sold on Amazon, loaded with the carrier stuff?
    Unlocked phones do not have the carrier bloat. They will have all of the HTC additions, however, and run Sense instead of stock Android. But they get updates from HTC instead of AT&T. If you want Sense and not stock, in my opinion, this is the way to go if you can stomach the full price of the device.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Stock google device has all the google apps, and provides google with unfeathered access to your personal info. If you remotely worry about privacy, it would not be a good option.

    However, if you really don't care about that sort of things, Google device has frequent upgrade and give you a feeling of on the "cutting edge", who knows what that means.

    PS. don't mistake stock android with stock google, there is really no stock android, a.k.a. AOSP, phone in the mass market, its all stock google. Basically, its google's bloatware vs everybody else' bloatware. There is little difference in reality.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4
  12. #12  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,223 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,267 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Stock google device has all the google apps, and provides google with unfeathered access to your personal info. If you remotely worry about privacy, it would not be a good option.

    However, if you really don't care about that sort of things, Google device has frequent upgrade and give you a feeling of on the "cutting edge", who knows what that means.

    PS. don't mistake stock android with stock google, there is really no stock android, a.k.a. AOSP, phone in the mass market, its all stock google. Basically, its google's bloatware vs everybody else' bloatware. There is little difference in reality.
    What in your estimation is the distinction between the privacy and security controls on GApps on a GPe or Nexus device versus any other device with GApps installed on it (so not a Kindle Fire, I guess...) and how is that change in privacy and security controls effected?
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  13. #13  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,806 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,246 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    PS. don't mistake stock android with stock google, there is really no stock android, a.k.a. AOSP, phone in the mass market, its all stock google. Basically, its google's bloatware vs everybody else' bloatware. There is little difference in reality.
    Actually AOSP is Android and is open source. You can flash any custom ROM without Gapps if you really want. Hard to do anything without them though.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    What in your estimation is the distinction between the privacy and security controls on GApps on a GPe or Nexus device versus any other device with GApps installed on it (so not a Kindle Fire, I guess...) and how is that change in privacy and security controls effected?
    I don't want to speak for the OP, but wouldn't that suggest that he/she doesn't want Google having access to his/her calendar, email, web searches, etc?
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon
  15. #15  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,223 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,267 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    I don't want to speak for the OP, but wouldn't that suggest that he/she doesn't want Google having access to his/her calendar, email, web searches, etc?
    That's what I took away from it too; I'm just wondering how it differs from any other device that has Google's apps on it. In either case the choice is the user's as to whether or not they use any of those apps and/or download other apps. What is the difference between TouchWiz, Sense, Optimus and Stock in how they handle any personal information that you do or do not submit?
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    That's what I took away from it too; I'm just wondering how it differs from any other device that has Google's apps on it. In either case the choice is the user's as to whether or not they use any of those apps and/or download other apps. What is the difference between TouchWiz, Sense, Optimus and Stock in how they handle any personal information that you do or do not submit?
    AOSP doesn't have google services, thus google isn't looking over your shoulder.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon
  17. #17  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,223 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,267 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    AOSP doesn't have google services, thus google isn't looking over your shoulder.
    Ah yes, let me rephrase that to the most "stock"-ish devices available for consumer purchases (Nexus and GPe devices) vs every other purchasable device (99% of which have Google services). What makes a Galaxy Note 3 more safe or more private than a Nexus?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    I'm headed towards straight-up purchase of an unlocked AT&T straight from HTC.
    Anyone think this has advantages over Amazon?
    Deal with Sense for a while and if the microSD issue doesn't make me nuts, hold off on root for a while.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Can you explain the benefits of stock android?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    I'm headed towards straight-up purchase of an unlocked AT&T straight from HTC.
    Anyone think this has advantages over Amazon?
    Deal with Sense for a while and if the microSD issue doesn't make me nuts, hold off on root for a while.
    Well they just got s-off on the one m8 so ethier way you can get Google play edition on there with a customized ruu. So get the one directly from HTC is my recommendation but just don't update til you know for sure what you wanna do!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Darth Spock likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8) GPe: Can you explain the benefits of stock Android?

    Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fact that GPE doesn't have Blinkfeed, I don't think there is native support for the IR blaster, tap to turn on also GPE doesn't have support for the dot view case. Does GPE do Zoes?

    These are the missing features that you will be passing up by going GPE.

    Personally, the tap to wake is a big one for me. Tall display with the power button on top of the device it would be nice to have an alternative to reaching to the top of the device to wake the screen. Also the IR blaster and their TV app is something I've been wanting to try out.

    I'm on the fence but leaning towards the T-mobile version.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8) GPe: Can you explain the benefits of stock Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironzey View Post
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fact that GPE doesn't have Blinkfeed, I don't think there is native support for the IR blaster, tap to turn on also GPE doesn't have support for the dot view case. Does GPE do Zoes?

    These are the missing features that you will be passing up by going GPE.

    Personally, the tap to wake is a big one for me. Tall display with the power button on top of the device it would be nice to have an alternative to reaching to the top of the device to wake the screen. Also the IR blaster and their TV app is something I've been wanting to try out.

    I'm on the fence but leaning towards the T-mobile version.
    Hi Ironzey,

    If you'd read through the other threads you'd find that it does in fact support IR Blaster, it does support double-tap-to-turn on and the dot view case (with some features missing). It also supports the duo-camera when you edit pictures taken with the stock camera. But you're right, it does not have Zoe or Blinkfeed.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8) GPe: Can you explain the benefits of stock Android?

    The HTC One M8 has a Google Play edition, but how is it different? (hands-on)

    I stand corrected patrikr. It does support the dot view case just not all the gestures which I can live with. I didn't go through any of the other threads in the forum (a lot of reading, most of which will be irrelevant) so I might be wrong. Android does support IR Blasters but the quality and user experience of third apps I suspect would be sub par compared to what comes with Sense.
    Example one looks good:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.freeirtv
    Example two looks outdated:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hill.irblaster
    Sense TV : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tc.videohub.ui

    After reading the above article and seeing the apps available on the playstore I'm now leaning towards the GPe. The only thing I need to figure out is what the differences in frequencies might be.
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8) GPe: Can you explain the benefits of stock Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironzey View Post
    The HTC One M8 has a Google Play edition, but how is it different? (hands-on)

    I stand corrected patrikr. It does support the dot view case just not all the gestures which I can live with. I didn't go through any of the other threads in the forum (a lot of reading, most of which will be irrelevant) so I might be wrong. Android does support IR Blasters but the quality and user experience of third apps I suspect would be sub par compared to what comes with Sense.
    Example one looks good:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.freeirtv
    Example two looks outdated:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hill.irblaster
    Sense TV : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tc.videohub.ui

    After reading the above article and seeing the apps available on the playstore I'm now leaning towards the GPe. The only thing I need to figure out is what the differences in frequencies might be.
    You can get HTC TV from the play store for the ir sensor!! Its the same as sense. And I'm hoping HTC will update the dot view case for view for more gestures as this is a simple app update they need to do in the play store!

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. #24  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8) GPe: Can you explain the benefits of stock Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironzey View Post
    The HTC One M8 has a Google Play edition, but how is it different? (hands-on)

    I stand corrected patrikr. It does support the dot view case just not all the gestures which I can live with. I didn't go through any of the other threads in the forum (a lot of reading, most of which will be irrelevant) so I might be wrong. Android does support IR Blasters but the quality and user experience of third apps I suspect would be sub par compared to what comes with Sense.
    Example one looks good:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.freeirtv
    Example two looks outdated:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hill.irblaster
    Sense TV : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tc.videohub.ui

    After reading the above article and seeing the apps available on the playstore I'm now leaning towards the GPe. The only thing I need to figure out is what the differences in frequencies might be.
    Sorry if my response was a little aggressive, had a stressful morning yesterday

    I installed the HTC Sense TV app last night and set it up to control my TV, DVR and receiver. Very easy to do and works great.

    I personally really like the GPe edition but I came from a Nexus 5 so it's what I was used to. For me DashClock Widget is almost a must-have and from what I've heard you can't use custom lock-screen widgets on the first lock-screen page with Sense so that's almost a show-stopper for me personally. In terms of frequencies the GPe has the best support of all phones in that it supports all AT&T and T-Mobile frequencies. The Unlocked and Developer versions from HTC is missing AWS which is good to have if you're on T-Mobile.

Similar Threads

  1. Galaxy S5: How excited are you?
    By jakeypride in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 12:25 PM
  2. Study Finds Android 4.x Twice as Stable as iOS 7
    By onthecouchagain in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
  3. Which sd card do you all recommend?
    By kami8586 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 11:13 PM
  4. Rooting the Evo 4G Phone? What's your opinion!
    By Ronnie Marlow III in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 08:58 PM
  5. So, what's the deal with the s pen registration error?
    By bugeyed in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions