Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Default HTC One (M8): GPE vs Unlocked from HTC

I've been thinking about upgrading from my moto x to the M8(Yes, i go through phones quickly) and although I can tell sense isn't the worst android skin, i much rather have stock, the question is , will the GPE version still work with the dot view case? will the IR blaster still work? Am i losing a lot of features? What do you guys know/think ?

Global Posts
    26,643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: GPE vs Unlocked from HTC

I would personally get the GPe. After having two phones with minimal waiting for updates, I don't think I could go back to a skinned version of Android and be 2 or even 3 versions behind.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I would personally get the GPe. After having two phones with minimal waiting for updates, I don't think I could go back to a skinned version of Android and be 2 or even 3 versions behind.
    Could you get the Dev Ed and flash GPe ROM on it? (Or vice versa)? If possible, you'd have Sense or Stock Android at your disposal and save $50 if you bought the Dev Ed.

Global Posts
    26,643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    Could you get the Dev Ed and flash GPe ROM on it? (Or vice versa)? If possible, you'd have Sense or Stock Android at your disposal and save $50 if you bought the Dev Ed.
    Possible to my knowledge. But, I have also seen many times where flashing the GPe has been a nightmare on other devices.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Possible to my knowledge. But, I have also seen many times where flashing the GPe has been a nightmare on other devices.
    Forgot about that. Yes, it's worth the extra $50 to spare the headache of a problematic flash.

Anybody know if the GPe will have any carrier radio band limitations compared to the carrier, unlocked, or dev ed versions. Like how the M7 GPe wasn't fully functional on T-Mobile's LTE?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Well...GPE is what im leaning towards...although i want the gunmetal and they only offer silver...but im seriously concerned about the IR blaster functionality haha. will it work if its gpe?

Quote Originally Posted by slywalk View Post
    Well...GPE is what im leaning towards...although i want the gunmetal and they only offer silver...but im seriously concerned about the IR blaster functionality haha. will it work if its gpe?
    VERY doubtful. It doesn't work on the GPE G-Pad as there is no native app for it. Not sure if there is an app you can download that would use that functionality, however.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    VERY doubtful. It doesn't work on the GPE G-Pad as there is no native app for it. Not sure if there is an app you can download that would use that functionality, however.
    HTC has released Sense TV as a separate app and it specifically states "HTC Sense TV is updated to support HTC One (M8) Google Play Edition". The move from HTC to release their key features as separate apps is awesome!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tc.videohub.ui

Quote Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
    HTC has released Sense TV as a separate app and it specifically states "HTC Sense TV is updated to support HTC One (M8) Google Play Edition". The move from HTC to release their key features as separate apps is awesome!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tc.videohub.ui
    And there you have it! Awesome! I think we've got a winner here with the GPE. Now if I could only get mine...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Awesome thanks gentlemen. Now I just have to wait for the GPE gun metal....

Can anyone confirm/deny that the Google Play M8 supports T-Mobile's HSPA+ bands? I know the unlocked version doesn't, so it looks like the GPE is my only option(don't wanna buy through T-Mobile). T-Mobile has average service in my area and I really need HSPA so I don't have to deal with edge whenever I don't have LTE. I saw the thread regarding this, just looking for additional confirmation.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: HTC One (M8): GPE vs Unlocked from HTC

Hi Guy's Great info in here, But i am not getting it, I picked up the M8 From HTC Web Site"Unlocked Version" and i dont see a GP Edtion :o/ Only see an Unlocked Version and Developer Version, Unless its the Contract Carries Carrying the GP Edition?

Also why i am here, is there a way to back up my stock rom without unlocking boot loader or Rooting it? Thanks in Advance.

Default Re: HTC One (M8): GPE vs Unlocked from HTC

You should find the GPe version in Google Play/Devices
    EWY

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

The HTC One M8 GPe is compatible with both AT&T and Tmobile. I've contacted Google and verified it. It even said so on this page https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=htc_m8

Compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. Check with your carrier for details about coverage.