Advantage to a "pure" GPE edition phone vs a converted to GPE phone?

burt64

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Hope this question makes sense. I have a verizon HTC One M7 phone, and considering purchase of an M8 to use on GSM carrier (most likely Cricket). When I look at used phone prices, the unlocked / carrier model M8's are less expensive then the google edition versions. Assuming I can convert an AT&T version to a google play edition, is there any advantage to paying the premium for the GPE? My only experience with rooting / installing ROM was to take a droid razr maxx and root it and install Cyanogenmod, but I was ok with it. Would appreciate insights. Thanks!

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe there is any difference. I just converted my AT&T M8 a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it! It was a little stressful getting it converted though. I have rooted and rom'd around 6 different phones and it still was stressful.

Posted via the Android Central App

burt64

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it was stressful the time I did my phone. Did one step wrong and thought I bricked the phone... :) When you converted to GP, do you still have Sense TV app?

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Lol yes I thought I bricked mine when I did it lol yes you can download the sense TV app!! Not sure if it was because of my SD card or what, but it remembered my remote setups!

EWY

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hope this question makes sense. I have a verizon HTC One M7 phone, and considering purchase of an M8 to use on GSM carrier (most likely Cricket). When I look at used phone prices, the unlocked / carrier model M8's are less expensive then the google edition versions. Assuming I can convert an AT&T version to a google play edition, is there any advantage to paying the premium for the GPE? My only experience with rooting / installing ROM was to take a droid razr maxx and root it and install Cyanogenmod, but I was ok with it. Would appreciate insights. Thanks!

GPE version has a different radio that allows it to go on both AT&T and T-Mobile networks. A converted AT&T M8 would not be able to be used on T-Mobile.

Aron Kamp

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I converted mine a few days ago. It wasn't that hard exept that firewater didn't work on My Phone. And in the end i think i was to fast with running on art, The playstore disapeared and was nowhere to be found. I installed the. Apk and now it works perfectly, was about 2 to 3 hours of work. I found a perfect YouTube (3 steps: root, s-off and installing costum rom) s-off didn't work on My Phone and i had to pay $25 for sunshine. But i am very happy with the result!

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I converted just a few days ago myself. I also found some helpful YouTube videos, and I found the process to be fairly simple (i.e., I didn't run into any problems ... took me about 1.5 hours). The primary reason I converted was so I get Lollipop right away rather than waiting 3+ months for HTC to release and update.

So far as I can tell, the phone behaves exactly as a non-converted GPE phone would. I guess the real test will be whether I get an OTA Lollipop update in early November.

burt64

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
GPE version has a different radio that allows it to go on both AT&T and T-Mobile networks. A converted AT&T M8 would not be able to be used on T-Mobile.

Good to know that, though it was after the fact. I ended up buying an at&t m8 already converted to Google Play edition. I am on Cricket now, having moved from Verizon, and am happy with the phone and the network. I will keep that in mind if in the future I consider a move over to T Mobile

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

I think the T-Mobile one if converted could so AT&T, but not the other way around. Or the reverse. One of them is comparable with both networks. Forgot which.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I converted mine a few days ago. It wasn't that hard exept that firewater didn't work on My Phone. And in the end i think i was to fast with running on art, The playstore disapeared and was nowhere to be found. I installed the. Apk and now it works perfectly, was about 2 to 3 hours of work. I found a perfect YouTube (3 steps: root, s-off and installing costum rom) s-off didn't work on My Phone and i had to pay $25 for sunshine. But i am very happy with the result!

Sakitech on YouTube? It was an EXCELLLENT three video instruction tutorial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair