All,

I was recently trying to make a purchase from the Play store, but my transaction errored out. No message, just said that there was an error. I got an email that says Google failed to verify my account and that I need to provide a copy of a recent utility bill and government ID. Are they serious??

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    03-25-2013 01:06 PM
    All,

I was recently trying to make a purchase from the Play store, but my transaction errored out. No message, just said that there was an error. I got an email that says Google failed to verify my account and that I need to provide a copy of a recent utility bill and government ID. Are they serious??

Why don't you email support directly and ask what this is about? You will get more help doing it that way.
    03-25-2013 02:03 PM
    I did that already. No response yet. Trying to see if anyone else has been through something similar.

03-25-2013 02:09 PM
    They're serious, although insane. I have a similar problem, and got the same lack of response. I've actually created 3 accounts, tried to purchase the Chromebook Pixel LTE with three different (totally valid) credit cards. Each time the order gets cancelled with no reason given, and they require the verification process with the Gov't ID and a secondary document like a utility bill. The other bad part is the 3-5 day wait to find out it it worked. Nobody takes 3 days to do anything anymore. All I want to do is buy a freaking tablet! They need to sell it through Best Buy or somebody that understands how to do retail. Stick with the search engine, Google.
    hidayat 1 likes this.
    05-20-2013 10:18 AM
    Yeap I am having same problem.
    Google thinks they are police or something? Customer representatives I have contacted keep repeating that they have to verify my ID.
    Are you serious? let visa or mastercard verfiy my id when I give them my credit card infomation and billing address
    No may I am scanning my id and sending it to google
    I am so disappointed with Google and I am switching to Iphone f*** it
    07-01-2013 05:01 PM
    Your account is going through a standard account check because it is the law that every finanical services organization verifies everyone's idenity before servicing anybodies account so that is why you can't download apps and you need to submit documents.
    11-11-2015 10:26 AM
    I was wondering, why exactly does google want a copy of my SSN, Government issued ID, and/or a copy/photograph of my Drivers License? Ok, i'm willing to send them a picture of my ID but there is no way in hell I'm sending my SSN...
    11-25-2015 02:43 AM
    Yeap I am having same problem.
    Google thinks they are police or something? Customer representatives I have contacted keep repeating that they have to verify my ID.
    Are you serious? let visa or mastercard verfiy my id when I give them my credit card infomation and billing address
    No may I am scanning my id and sending it to google
    I am so disappointed with Google and I am switching to Iphone f*** it
    Your all complaining because they froze your account awe I feel so sorry for you not losing everything you own. Too bad I wasn't treated like you were maybe just maybe when they flagged it twelve times for fraud if mine would if been froze they wouldn't of ruined me! To be clear 1000 transactions that merchants say are invalid but Google said I made! Over 300 transaction canceled for high risk! So I'm sorry but sick it up buttercup you didn't loose everything and be lied to to cover up the fact wallet and play store double and triple billed! Between 5000 and 7000 I've never been given a accurate total! Good luck with that three years later!
    04-06-2016 02:47 PM