Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Play Music All Access - How to set genres?

So i notice that on the menu when you explore "My Library" - there is an category for "Genres".

However there's nothing there (despite 1000's of songs in my library).

It looks like you have to manually go into each album and edit the album info, then set the genre.

This would take forever. One of the things i hated about Spotify was not having genre categorization. Looks like Play Music has it, but you have to do a LOT of legwork.

Anyone have any suggestions? Im guessing Google will "at some time" get round to automatically setting the genres for all the albums?

Default Re: Play Music All Access - How to set genres?

I think this is a matter of your music being tagged right. Years ago I spent some time with MediaMonkey (which was popular at the time - not sure about now) to make sure all my metadata was correct on my music. When I uploaded it all into Google Music, it all seemed to go in ok and I didn't have to do anything (my genres are all populated).

I know that's not much help for you now. My understanding is they now have Music Match so you don't have to upload everything (like I had to), so maybe there's an issue with that now. This may also help, but I'm not sure you can do multiple albums at once (it mentions songs)
    https://support.google.com/googlepla.../1100174?hl=en
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't understand what you mean. I know i can tag my own MP3's that i upload, but these are songs already in Play Music, that i've simply "added" to library.

So to clarify what the original poster is referring to, when you have an all access subscription you have the option to add anything you want from Google's music database to your library. Even though these songs have complete meta data on Google's servers, when you add them to your playlist the genre gets dropped. It is really frustrating and I assume a glitch. I emailed Google about it today, but haven't gotten a response yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RPM84 View Post
    I don't understand what you mean. I know i can tag my own MP3's that i upload, but these are songs already in Play Music, that i've simply "added" to library.
    I'm sorry. I misunderstood the question. I just tested it as well and am experiencing the same behavior. Not much help I know.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrs View Post
    So to clarify what the original poster is referring to, when you have an all access subscription you have the option to add anything you want from Google's music database to your library. Even though these songs have complete meta data on Google's servers, when you add them to your playlist the genre gets dropped. It is really frustrating and I assume a glitch. I emailed Google about it today, but haven't gotten a response yet.
    Yep - spot on. Thanks guys - can you let me know if you hear back from Google
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Did you ever get a response from Google?

Nope.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Hilarious!

Google does not send replies to humans.