1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Default When and on what devices does HD get streamed in Movies/Tv shows

Folks I'm in between with equal content(Movies) on itunes and Google Play Store.

If I get Star Trek into the Darkness on itunes, I'm pretty confident of displaying it in HD, through either Apple TV, or any of my devices.

My question is more about the Play Store (which I would prefer) I would be disinclined to use the Chromecast... My HTPC has a faster wired connection, but will it be streamed in HD over the web? Or will it be streamed in HD over the Chromecast(Provided my 35MbX35Mb Fios is fast enough. The Wifi runs close to the wired speed, depending on my distance.

I know my Airs will play everything over Chrome, and my Android device's as well. Looks like the limitation is the ipad and sending it to the Apple TV over Airplay.

So can anyone confirm that if you buy a Play Store HD movie where and when it will stream HD? I only have movies in SD so I can't test it either through my HTPC or CC.

Thanks

I rarely need to see a movie before the BR comes out, but this is one of those rare exceptions where I don't want to wait for Redbox or the 10th when its on sale. I would like to watch it on the HTPC tonight, in as high a quality sound and vid as possible.

I can see why folks Torrent...I simply want to give one of these Co's my money and its a PITA figuring out my eco system!
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Default Re: When and on what devices does HD get streamed in Movies/Tv shows

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    Folks I'm in between with equal content(Movies) on itunes and Google Play Store.

If I get Star Trek into the Darkness on itunes, I'm pretty confident of displaying it in HD, through either Apple TV, or any of my devices.

My question is more about the Play Store (which I would prefer) I would be disinclined to use the Chromecast... My HTPC has a faster wired connection, but will it be streamed in HD over the web? Or will it be streamed in HD over the Chromecast(Provided my 35MbX35Mb Fios is fast enough. The Wifi runs close to the wired speed, depending on my distance.

I know my Airs will play everything over Chrome, and my Android device's as well. Looks like the limitation is the ipad and sending it to the Apple TV over Airplay.

So can anyone confirm that if you buy a Play Store HD movie where and when it will stream HD? I only have movies in SD so I can't test it either through my HTPC or CC.

Thanks

I rarely need to see a movie before the BR comes out, but this is one of those rare exceptions where I don't want to wait for Redbox or the 10th when its on sale. I would like to watch it on the HTPC tonight, in as high a quality sound and vid as possible.

I can see why folks Torrent...I simply want to give one of these Co's my money and its a PITA figuring out my eco system!
    Play store purchases will play over HD but what device are you trying to play off of? For example if you want to watch a Playstore movie you have to hook up your device i.e. directly to the TV through HDMI.

If you wish to do it through your HTPC, that option is not available. Only through your Android phone or Tablet.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Play store purchases will play over HD but what device are you trying to play off of? For example if you want to watch a Playstore movie you have to hook up your device i.e. directly to the TV through HDMI.

If you wish to do it through your HTPC, that option is not available. Only through your Android phone or Tablet.
    Thanks for the reply but why wouldn't it play on my PC?(HTPC) and be fed out through my Hdmi into my receiver like games, movies and everything thing else. Or are you thinking I'm playing it through my Chromecast? With the HTPC of course it would stream through Chrome(browser). The CC is plugged into my Yamaha receiver.

When you go to buy an HD movies it says it will stream as HD through supported devices and SD over the Web...So thats my concern my connection through the PC(Web) Is faster than the CC's Wifi, but they are inferring that it won't be HD. That seems strange.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Thanks for the reply but why wouldn't it play on my PC?(HTPC) and be fed out through my Hdmi into my receiver like games, movies and everything thing else. Or are you thinking I'm playing it through my Chromecast? With the HTPC of course it would stream through Chrome(browser). The CC is plugged into my Yamaha receiver.
    Sorry

It will stream through your browser as you stated. What I have noticed which is weird, I will get 1080p through my phone to my tv but only 720p through my browser.

When I think of HD I think in 1080p.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Sorry

It will stream through your browser as you stated. What I have noticed which is weird, I will get 1080p through my phone to my tv but only 720p through my browser.

When I think of HD I think in 1080p.
    Yeah,I'll be happy to stream through my N4 or N7 if thats the only HD I can get...How was the stream pretty steady? I had some choppiness using Youtube on the CC. I think of HD as 1080P as well, tho clearly Google may not. I just know the leap from SD at 480P to 720P seems to be greater than the jump from 720P to 1080P. The "first world" problem of finding 480P as intolerable to watch, is alive and well! I can do it if its free content but for $20 its not acceptable.

We may wait till the BR comes out at this point, thats one of those movies I want to see at its best. I guess it will be watched many times as well. I got side tracked last night researching why my HTPC was only putting out PCM and stereo wasted most of the night working on that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah,I'll be happy to stream through my N4 or N7 if thats the only HD I can get...How was the stream pretty steady? I had some choppiness using Youtube on the CC.

We may wait till the BR comes out at this point, thats one of those movies I want to see at its best. I guess it will be watched many times as well. I got side tracked last night researching why my HTPC was only putting out PCM and stereo wasted most of the night working on that.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Youtube and Netflix to Chromecast is a direct cast so if there is any choppiness that is a wifi issue.

Tab Casting is where things can get really choppy. Some users on only machines have to downgrade the tab cast from 720p to 480p to get rid of that stutter. I have casted Hulu from tab, Netflix, and Youtube with zero lag/stutter.