Need Help with Google Play!!!

rjayy

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
So, I recently synced my new Google + account to my phone. Everything is going smoothly, I selected it as the account to use in the Google Play Store...but...whenever I try to download an app from Google Play, a message pops up that says "Authentication Required--you must sign into your Google account." So I go to my Google + settings and choose to sign in with my account, but every time it says "Couldn't connect to the server." Why am I having this problem? I deleted a lot of apps that were taking up space and now I can't re-install anything because I can't sign into my Google account (although somehow it still synced, argh). And tbh I have no idea what the "server" is; I have perfect service and wi-fi so I don't know why my phone won't connect. Help!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It might be worth removing your Google account completely from your phone, and then re-adding it. To remove the account:

1. Go to Settings/Accounts-Google/[your Google account], and make sure all of your Google data has been synced recently (you'll see under each Google app when the last sync time was.

2. Tap Menu/Remove Account, and accept.

3. After your Google account has been removed, you'll probably be prompted to add a Google account. If not, just go to Settings/Accounts, and Add Account.

As long as you've synced your data before doing this, you won't lose any Google data--it will have been synced to your cloud, and will be resynced to your phone when you add the account back.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I recently synced my new Google + account to my phone. Everything is going smoothly, I selected it as the account to use in the Google Play Store...but...whenever I try to download an app from Google Play, a message pops up that says "Authentication Required--you must sign into your Google account." So I go to my Google + settings and choose to sign in with my account, but every time it says "Couldn't connect to the server." Why am I having this problem? I deleted a lot of apps that were taking up space and now I can't re-install anything because I can't sign into my Google account (although somehow it still synced, argh). And tbh I have no idea what the "server" is; I have perfect service and wi-fi so I don't know why my phone won't connect. Help!!!

It may be on Google's end.
Do you have your Gmail under Settings>Accounts?

rjayy

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Ha! My Google + settings stil says "cannot connect to server", but all I had to do was go to settings on my phone, applications, manage applications, and cleared the cache and data from the google play store. Then I opened it back up and now it's letting me download everything! Thanks, guys!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may be on Google's end.
Do you have your Gmail under Settings>Accounts?

That's a good point. There was some funkiness going on with Google Play Services today, causing a lot of people to have significant battery drain. Maybe wait until tomorrow, then try again, before considering the Google account removal and readdition.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! My Google + settings stil says "cannot connect to server", but all I had to do was go to settings on my phone, applications, manage applications, and cleared the cache and data from the google play store. Then I opened it back up and now it's letting me download everything! Thanks, guys!

Great!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for posting the solution. See you around the forums.