1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Play store Movies in 5.1 in the U.S.A but not other countries?

Hello all

I currently live in Australia and have noticed that all movies in the play store are in stereo. Doesn't make a difference whether it's HD, SD, rented or bought.

Even movies that are available overseas that are in 5.1 are only available in stereo here.

For example Prometheus in the US play store is available as 5.1 whereas in Australia it is only available in stereo.

The only exception I've noticed is in 5.1 surround is "Transformers the Dark Side of the Moon" which came free with my Nexus 7. If I look in my purchased movies it shows it as 5.1 and plays back in surround sound via my Chromecast. However if you search for it in the play store it's only available in stereo.

Any one in other countries notice this? Any ideas folks?

Default Re: Play store Movies in 5.1 in the U.S.A but not other countries?

It's the whole copyright issue. The content owners don't license the same content in the same way on every region. That's why some movies are available in the US but not in your region, or Spotify USA doesn't have the exact same songs as Spotify Mexico. Furthermore, some movies don't even let you stream to a TV from your device! They are only licensed to be played on the mobile device and that's it.

It's really stupid, but it's how it works. If all regions had all content at the same time with the same features, piracy would go down for sure. But when you want to watch a movie or listen to a song that you've been expecting for ages and it won't come out in your country until next year because of these licensing bullcraps, it's hard not to understand why people resort to pirated copies.
    Thanked by:
    yyue