Play store recommended for you problem

pixieloulou

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me as this problem is driving me mad!!

On my Google Play store, under the recommended for you section, it keeps on recommending songs by an artist my friend watched on my phone 6 months ago. It is also recommending similar artists, none of which I am interested in. I keep clicking the "not interested" button in the hope that it will learn that I am not interested and actually show me music and artists which I am interested in. So far this is not working.

SO, I went onto my YouTube account and cleared my search history and my watch history. That didn't fix it.

I deleted my Google+ account. That didn't fix it.

I went onto my Play account and deleted the search history on there too, as well as cookies etc on my computer. Nope, didn't fix it.

I searched for a band that I am interested in on YouTube and watched a whole load of their songs in the hope that the search history would then link to my Google Play store and start recommending music by that band, or similar bands.

Nope! It just keeps recommending similar bands to the artist that my friend watched.

I know it is such a minor thing, and not an issue at all, but it is actually driving me mad. I would like to be shown recommended music based on what I am already interested in, not what someone watched on my account once. Is there anyway of fixing this, or unlinking my YouTube from Google Play so I don't keep on getting the same stupid recommendations popping up all the time?

Any ideas would be appreciated,
Thanks

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is just you. Mine has been bombarded with Miley Cyrus songs, probably just because I watched some parodies of Wrecking Ball. Been telling Play for a couple weeks now that I am not interested. I think it just takes some time.

Something to consider: Have you bought music on Play? If you buy what you like, that might help too.

pixieloulou

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I haven't purchased anything from the Play music store yet but if that will fix the problem then I will definitely do it. I just don't understand how I have been watching music on YouTube and it doesn't seem to be linking it to the Play Store. Do you think I have to watch it on the PC rather than my phone app?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't purchased anything from the Play music store yet but if that will fix the problem then I will definitely do it. I just don't understand how I have been watching music on YouTube and it doesn't seem to be linking it to the Play Store. Do you think I have to watch it on the PC rather than my phone app?

I think purchases have more of an influence on suggestions. I don't think it will fix the issue.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

pixieloulou

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this. I may have fixed the issue without purchasing music. I cleared the cache/cookies/history on everything then loaded the YouTube app up and watched a load of videos from the Vevo channel rather than just videos that people had uploaded. Now my "recommended for you" is showing artists that I have listened to!

There must be something to do with the Metadata of videos on the Vevo channels, or I fixed it by clearing loads of data on my phone! Phew!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this. I may have fixed the issue without purchasing music. I cleared the cache/cookies/history on everything then loaded the YouTube app up and watched a load of videos from the Vevo channel rather than just videos that people had uploaded. Now my "recommended for you" is showing artists that I have listened to!

There must be something to do with the Metadata of videos on the Vevo channels, or I fixed it by clearing loads of data on my phone! Phew!

Glad you got something to work out. I do know purchasing music is one way to get recommendations. Thanks for posting your solution.
See you around the forums.

From an SOKP Nexus 5