Lingering problems with Google Play that have persisted for years!

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Every single time I hear of an update to Google Play, I think "Will this version fix all the stupid updating/installation issues of apps?"

I've experienced the below issues on multiple devices, multiple carriers, multiple phone manufacturers, so unless something is specifically borked with my Google account, the issue is a Google Play issue.

1. Updating apps is a PITA and hardly ever works 100%. If I have apps to update, I click Update All and then exit the store. It's a roll of the dice if any/all of them update. Perhaps 1 updates? maybe 2.. or I could go back into my apps in a few minutes and it's stopped the updating process all together and I'll have to click Update All again. The only way I can get them all to update without issue is to leave the store open at the update screen and watch them all update one at a time. Obviously I dont want to do this..

2. Installing apps. I can watch as Google Play's process for installing apps happens sooner than what is shown on my Notification bar. I'll see that Google Play will have an app fully installed but it'll still show Installing on my notification bar.

3. Does auto-update even work anymore? It seems that if I have apps to update on my phone, they don't update unless I go in and click Update All.

And the last one isn't necessarily an issue with the Play Store itself, but more of a gripe that Google hasn't fixed in years.

4. Paid apps. Why for the love of all things sane is there no way for me to view all the apps I've purchased?????????? It should be super simple to add a "Paid" tab inbetween "Installed" and "All". Come on Google.. seriously? if I switch to a new device, I should be able to view all my purchases and reinstall them.. I don't remember what I've purchased throughout the years. The only way I remember is scrolling endlessly through the categories and looking for the "Purchased" verbiage on the apps. This should be a no brainer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First off, what device are you using? Does this behavior occur on multiple devices? I've never experienced what you're describing on any of my devices, either now or in the past (Nexus 5, 2012 Nexus 7, 2013 Nexus 7, Asus Transformer TF 300, Acer A500, Acer A100, Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Droid Incredible). Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying that you're not having a problem. I just wonder if this is an issue with your device and/or its firmware, rather than the Google Play Store.

Regarding the question of a list of your purchased apps--can you describe the advantage of seeing your Purchased apps separate from the full list of all apps you've ever purchased or installed free? What is the difficulty with going to the "All" list and selecting apps to install from there? Do you have a ton of free apps that obscure your purchased apps?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I've had an HTC One M7, a Galaxy S4, the LG Optimus G, then a LG G2, and my current device, the HTC One M8. I actively use my LG G2 and M8 daily.

as for tablets, I have the 2012 Nexus 7 and the Asus TF300t and I've experienced these issues on all of them, no joke. I don't use my N7 and Asus every single day, so when I do use them, there's a handful of app updates.. so I click Update All and like half the time I do that, if I'm not watching them download and update, they just never do. Yesterday as an example, I had a Twitter update and JetPackJoyride update.. so I click Update All... I see the line moving that indicates they've both been queued up.. I exit the app and turn screen off... like 30m later I turn it back on and see that only Twitter updated.. I go back into the play store and see JetPackJoyride is needing to update, so I have to click Update All again this happens ALL the time.

As for the purchased apps.. I've had Android since the OG Droid and have switched to a large list of devices.. those 5 devices I listed above are just the most recent. I've had the OG Droid, the Bionic, the Droid Incredible, the Atrix 4G, the Galaxy S3, the HTC One X, the One X+, and then those 5.. installing TONS of apps throughout the years and you have a huge list in the "All" section.. and if you mistakenly decide one day to clear the app list of old stuff including apps you've purchased, the only way to find them again is by accident.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have wifi set to stay on while asleep? If the setting is for it not to stay on, then any updates will cease or postpone once the screen is off.

If you cleared out an app in your My Apps list in the Google Play Store app, you can still find it in the Google Play Store website on your computer browser in your My Apps. On the website, you can also click on the gear icon at the upper right, select My Orders, and see all that you've bought from Google Play. You can further narrow things down by clicking on the "All Orders" dropdown at the mid upper left, and select Android Apps--that will show you all apps you've installed, including their price. I believe that lists paid apps only.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
WIFI is set to stay on always.. this happens with cellular and wireless. It's just so odd that it's happened to me throughout many different devices and carriers.. the only common factor is my account.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to submit some sort of ticket to them or if it's even worth my time..

Thanks for the tidbit about the paid apps on the website.. I'll have to check it out for sure.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you ever use task killer apps, or the Developer Option that kills an app once you leave it? If so, that could stop an update in its tracks once you go to a different app.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Do you ever use task killer apps, or the Developer Option that kills an app once you leave it? If so, that could stop an update in its tracks once you go to a different app.

Negative. I wish it was user related, than I could stop doing it, but I don't root my phones, don't install any task killers/mem cleaners or anything else. I install games and news apps.

It's frustrating because I chew through so much data having to redownload apps multiple times to get them updated. Fortunately I'm on my companies AT&T plan and we get unfettered, unrestricted, unlimited data.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Negative. I wish it was user related, than I could stop doing it, but I don't root my phones, don't install any task killers/mem cleaners or anything else. I install games and news apps.

It's frustrating because I chew through so much data having to redownload apps multiple times to get them updated. Fortunately I'm on my companies AT&T plan and we get unfettered, unrestricted, unlimited data.

My suggestion would be to contact Google and let them know. You can all get help for the play store over the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21