Why won't Google Play work despite having background data enabled?

A

AC Question

Google play won't work despite having background data enabled

every time I launch Google play I get the error message that I need to enable background dat. I've gone in to verify it already is enabled. It drives me batty. I cannot update apps, nor can I search for new ones. Any help appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google play won't work despite having background data enabled

Welcome to Android Central! When you go check that background data is enabled, is it the main background data setting, or is it the setting for the specific app? Go to Settings>Data Usage, and select Google Play Store. Check to make sure that its specific Restrict Background Data switch isn't turned on.

Larry Butchins

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I have taken your advice and enabled background data for the Google Play Store, and ensured that it is enabled on the main data usage settings as well - I still get the error message.
What Now?

Larry Butchins

aleandra

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue. Ultimately, clearing my data (it will also probably work if you simply clear your cache) worked for me. Clearing data and clearing cache for Google play store can both be found with the following steps:

* Go to: Settings > General (tab) > Application manager (under device manager) > scroll down until you find Google play store
* After selecting Google play store, first clear the cache
* After exiting, restart the device
* Once restarted, you should hopefully be able to open the Google play store

If not, follow the first step again then instead of selecting 'clear cache' you would select 'clear data'. Continue all following steps. Hopefully that works for you. Best of luck!

Donnie Hazle

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Google play won't work despite having background data enabled

Thank you so much for this information!! I have searched for a solution to this problem for months and you are the first person I have found to recommend looking at the individual data usage and checking there for background data restriction! I can now update previously downloaded apps bought on google play. I appreciate your assistance.

Yan Y

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I just bought an OPPO R7 and initially I couldn't download from Play Store too. This is what I did and it worked:
1) Checked for latest upgrade of software -> installed
2) Cleared cache in Play Store app
3) Re-started mobile phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37