Google Play Store & GApps stopped (with a twist), how can I get them working again?

A

AC Question

Google Play Store & GApps stopped (with a twist)

I'm getting constant "Google Play Store has stopped" and also .... "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" one after the other repeatedly. I've gone through dozens of help & forum web sites and they all give advice about the Play Store stopped and how to get it working again. I've been through every suggestion and cannot get rid of the problem even though I have tried every suggestion I can find. I turned off everything with Google in the name and by doing so I can get rid of the "gapps" issue. Also, the Google Play Services options within settings is grayed out (non-clickable) so I cannot disable and re-enable as some folks have suggested. Similarly "force Stop!" is grayed out too. I can force stop & disable the play store and re-enable, but that doesn't work either.

I suspect that P{lay Store Servies App is corrupted, but I don't know how to uninstall it.

So I gave up and tried a Hard Re-set (down Volume & power) It doesn't work !! I tried it many times. It just reboots and retains the data. I simply do not get the factory re-set screen. I tried doing a reset from within settings (Backup & reset) That didn't work either.

I tried using a browser to install Play store, but when I click the button to install, I am advised that it is installed.

Absolutely at my wits end.... I've been messing around with this for days and I can't get my applications (e.g. Whats Ap) installed and working again.

Can anything help?

Jimbo

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Play Store & GApps stopped (with a twist)

Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Is it rooted? What version of Google Play Services does it have? It should be up around 7.5.74.

Go to the Google Play Services page on the Google Play Store website on your computer browser. Click Installed, then see if the device is listed as eligible for an update.

James Dawson3

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

Hi B. Diddy,

Appreciate you taking an interest is my problem...

HTC One mini 2 running exactly the version of Play Store Services that you forecast 7.5.74.

Been to Google Play Services web site as you suggested ... the site tells me that I already have it installed. (I used the browser on the Windows Laptop that I have used to sync the phone). The phone was not tethered to the laptop at the time, but was last connected a few days ago. I checked the App version on the phone and it also confirmed 7.5.74.

I tried to get all my data off before I started messing around with the device.

Not entirely sure whether the phone is "rooted"... I don't know how to check it (?) I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be with Android. Competent in Windows Xp, 7 & 8 and MS apps, but poor knowledge of Android

I did have a problem a couple of months back which resulted in my doing a hard re-set - which, on that occasion, was successful.

In the current problem (which is still driving me mad) I have been working through all the recovery options I can find on the internet for my problem/s to avoid having to do the hard re-set again, without success, so yesterday, I got to the end of the line and tried the hard re-set and it didn't f**king work !!! It appeared to hard reset, but when it woke up again after it's little "recovery sleep", my apps and data were all still there (Weird!!)

Any help would be appreciated

Jimbo

Me thinks the inability to hard reset suggests a deeper problem with the phone (?)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I think you're right--the phone shouldn't be preventing you from doing a factory data reset.

Did you buy the phone brand new or used? If it's used, then there's more of a chance that someone rooted it and installed a custom ROM that might be causing issues. To check if it's rooted, install and run Root Checker.

James Dawson3

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Google Play Store & GApps stopped (with a twist), how can I get them working again?

I always buy my phones new... and as I mentioned above. I did a hard reset on it a couple of months ago. I'll run Root Checker and revert to you

James Dawson3

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Google Play Store & GApps stopped (with a twist), how can I get them working again?

I attempted to download Root checker using Google's Chrome browser on the phone . (because as you know, the Play Store and the Play Store Services aren't working.... It appeared to work and the notice on the screen told me that it was "INSTALLED", but I can't find it in the list of Apps. I'm losing the will to live !! :'(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

How did you try to install it using the Chrome browser? Did you find the apk file and download that, or did you go to the Play Store website on the browser and try to install it there?

What happens if you use the Google Play Store website on your computer browser, select Root Checker, and remotely install the app from there? This still might not work, if Google Play Services is messed up, though.

James Dawson3

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

Hey B. Diddy, Sorry for being unclear... I went to the Play Store website using Chrome on the HTC One Phone and installed from there.... The website confirmed that it had been installed, but it doesn't appear in the apps list. I didn't download an apk file because I didn't know apk files existed until today !

I've never installed an App remotely from a computer... but I'll give it a go. I'm at an office where I don't have the USB to phone cable, so I'll have to go get one and try this later. If you don't mind guiding me through this F**kfest, I'll come back to you in due course with an update... I'm on a steep learning curve.

I've been into my carrier's local phone store (Vodafone) a couple of times, but the kids in there don't really know much, so it's like speaking to a brick wall and they always assume they know more than you.

Any thoughts in the meantime about the the inability to hard reset? As mentioned earlier, the hard reset button combination just doesn't work... it simply re-starts the phone and what data & apps I have on the phone are un-affected. (I've removed everything of value) So after my attempts of master re-set, my Evernote comes out of that re-boot unaffected.

I tried the master reset from the Settings menu and that looked like it might be doing a more serious reset....Phone shuts down and looks like it might be re-setting, but then I get the Icon with the red triangle and exclamation mark (!) for a few minutes, then it just reboots and I'm back to where I was.

This phone is less than a year old !

Jimbo

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I've never installed an App remotely from a computer... but I'll give it a go. I'm at an office where I don't have the USB to phone cable, so I'll have to go get one and try this later.

Remotely installing an app doesn't require a cable connection. Just make sure the phone is connected to the web via mobile data or wi-fi, go to Google Play Store on your computer browser, select the app, then click Install. Select the phone to install to, and it should install shortly on the phone. Of course, since Google Play Services seems like it's messed up, this might not work either, but it's worth a try.

Just to be sure--is this how you tried to get to the Recovery Menu? http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...ow-reboot-into-stock-recovery-htc-one-m8.html. If this is successful, try wiping the cache partition first. If that doesn't help, then try the factory reset option instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37