Facebook announcement cool but nothing awesome

jSterling

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Google will win. No doubt in my mind. Not only does the company name help, but look at what happened to MySpace when Facebook arrived. I haven't logged on in a year or two, and last time I did was out of curiousity.

Sent from my Optimus V running CM7 @ 825mghz

jcdrepair

Mar 16, 2011
www.jcdrepair.com
Google will win. No doubt in my mind. Not only does the company name help, but look at what happened to MySpace when Facebook arrived.

I wouldn't be so sure. First, the name thing doesn't necessarily help Google. A lot of people, myself included, get a little skeptical about putting too much of our information and trust in a single large company. I use Gmail and Google apps and have an Android phone...that might be enough for me and quite a few others. Also, Microsoft was the really big name trying to compete with the (then) relatively small Google. Microsoft got crushed by them because Google was very, very good at search. Facebook is very, very good at social media.

As to MySpace, they were one of the first big players in the that space. That's not always a good thing. Facebook came along and did a lot of the things right that MySpace did wrong. In effect, they learned from MySpace and then did things better. I've played with Google+ and it's nice. But not as good as Facebook at the moment so Google doesn't have that going for them. Also, the number of people on social media was fairly small with the MySpace craze (at least compared to today) and it was brand new so people hadn't really pledged allegiances yet. Again, that's not the case today. Facebook has 100's of millions of users and a pretty faithful following.

Lastly, there have been some great articles about how Google's DNA just will not enable it to compete in the social media space. Much the same way Microsoft has not been able to compete in the search space - it's just not who they are.

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site
@jcdrepair I see what your saying but weight now we are comparing a beta to a full-fledged product of a few years and many iterations.

I think in the coming months we'll see exactly what G+ is about and I think it will come out on top. I think facebook has gone astray of its original intentions of connecting people and I think G+ is song that fairly well so far.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

jcdrepair

Mar 16, 2011
www.jcdrepair.com
Hey lingo622: Google+ very well may overtake Facebook some day, my first comment was to address the ides from jSterling that "Google will win. No doubt in my mind." I think there's a lot of doubt about it.

The thing is, I think Google finds itself in a very similar position in competing against Facebook that Microsoft found when competing against Google. Microsoft released an original product that wasn't as good as Google and then worked on improving it. The problem for them was that Google had a huge lead and Google didn't just sit still and wait for Microsoft to catch up. They kept improving.

Facebook has a huge head start and will not just sit still and wait for Google to catch up.

Overall, I think it will be a fun battle to watch over the next few years and it should result in better products from both Facebook and Google.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
There is one thing as well. MS has shown they are working on something on the social networking front. I wonder how this effect FB and MS relationship.

xHunt3r

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
There is one thing as well. MS has shown they are working on something on the social networking front. I wonder how this effect FB and MS relationship.

Really hard to tell from what was leaked if that is a product that actually competes against Facebook or not...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non