Carrier Email Protocol and Project Fi

zen2go

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone mention this:

I'm currently have my Nexus 6 on T-Mobile ($30/month prepaid with 100 minutes and 5GB of LTE), and I receive "text" alerts from websites of banks, brokers, and other financial, sports, and service sites from web servers using the carrier email protocol rather than a "real" SMS that I would receive from another cell phone (they often have a carrier drop-down selection box when I set up the alerts, but even if they don't, I can tell when Google Voice can't receive the validation code or any texts from that source).

I also forward some high-priority emails using gmail filters to my <number>[at]tmomail.net address, to make sure they catch my attention when they arrive as text messages.

If my Fi number (still waiting) doesn't support a similar text protocol, then I'll lose everything listed above, in addition to much of my Google Voice functionality, the ability to ring all of my phones (yes, some people still have home phones - especially in home offices) from a single number, the ability to manage all of my calls in a single call log (with annotations), and the ability to record conversations in some cases.

This is a very high price to pay for "the future" - I don't think I can ever recall an "upgrade" that destroys so much useful current functionality (and in my case, costs more than my current plan) - it may be an upgrade for Android devices, but it's a major downgrade for all other forms of communication (as if Google is simply refusing to acknowledge that anything outside of Android could matter, or be useful to its customers - even early adopters). I guess this is what they mean by "disruptive technology".

benh57

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if you message was just to complain, since you didn't ask anything. I did see your issue mentioned before on twitter and in another forum.

One possible workaround:

I haven't tried this channel, but IFTTT can push emails to pushbullet:

<>iffttt.com/connect/email/pushbullet

You could set up a secondary email address that does this. Those emails would then pop up as a very obvious notification on your phone.

Pushbullet pushes also can pop up everywhere on many devices at once. I really love pushbullet.

-Ben

wservers

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking for the same feature of email to sms for Project fi.

Pushbullet or any other app solution is not even a close viable option for email-to-sms for reliable alerts. I hope they add that feature sometime soon.

-Jeff

MarkA77

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Well, 6 months have passed and Project Fi as of 12/17/2015 still responds, "Currently, Project Fi doesn't support email to SMS Gateway." Why doesn't it have this business feature? This makes Project Fi a BETA version in my view. After all, with Google's huge financial and intellectual resources there is no excuse not to be work and business friendly.

Another stopgap option I've seen described is to create an additional email account such as 1112223333.pager_at_gmail.com (where the numbers are your phone number) then set it up on your phone with a unique or distinctive chime for incoming emails. The person describing this alternative said you have to be out of the account in order for it to chime.