Incoming Call Issues, Anyone?

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
So, I had thought that my biggest issue on Fi was all the random texts (and calls, including at ~ midnight last night) from folks that apparently never got the word that their old "bro" no longer uses my new Fi # ... So, today, I decided to try calling my Fi # from my home phone #

1st Try: Nexus 6 didn't ring - however, I WAS connected to Fi Voicemail, left a msg, and the Voicemail notification DID appear on the Nexus 6 - welcome to BIZARRO WORLD!

OK, thought I, maybe the issue with me being logged into Google Chrome on my desktop (even though I no longer have desktop Hangouts installed and wasn't logged into GMail, much less logged into Hangouts under GMail) is still preventing my Nexus 6 from seeing incoming calls, so I logged out of Google on Chrome, and then, to be absolutely sure, shut down my desktop PC. At this point I was only logged in to Google on my Nexus 6 phone, my Nexus 7 tablet, and my old Moto X 2014 on my old T-Mobile #.

2nd Try: Nexus 6 didn't ring

OK, let's try the BIG RED BUTTON this time .... Powered off the Nexus 6, then powered it back on.

3rd Try: Nexus 6 didn't ring

Whoops, I thought, maybe my Fi # is completely hosed ... wonder if calls the other direction work? So I called my home phone from the Nexus 6, and the call went through immediately without issues.

4th Try: Nexus 6 FINALLY rang

VERY ANNOYING!!!

-----

EDIT: Hmmm, my issues with incoming calls to my Fi Nexus 6 appear to be gone as of Monday AM - maybe my [recent/new] inability to access GV on my desktop means that Google was updating / migrating my GV account this weekend?

--
Alex

Last edited:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Did you port your number to Fi from another carrier, or bring in a Google Voice number?

Carrier ports can (quite annoyingly) take multiple days before they fully move over and you can receive calls on that number with the new phone.

As someone else pointed out in another thread here as well, if you ported from your carrier and previously had a Google Voice number forwarding to that number, it may have crossed the lines a bit. When in doubt, you can go to the Project Fi website, scroll to the bottom bar and click "Google Voice" to get back into your Voice settings and see if there are any odd forwarding numbers or issues.

I personally started up Fi with my Google Voice number brought over, and haven't had any incoming/outgoing call issues.

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Did you port your number to Fi from another carrier, or bring in a Google Voice number?

Carrier ports can (quite annoyingly) take multiple days before they fully move over and you can receive calls on that number with the new phone.

As someone else pointed out in another thread here as well, if you ported from your carrier and previously had a Google Voice number forwarding to that number, it may have crossed the lines a bit. When in doubt, you can go to the Project Fi website, scroll to the bottom bar and click "Google Voice" to get back into your Voice settings and see if there are any odd forwarding numbers or issues.

I personally started up Fi with my Google Voice number brought over, and haven't had any incoming/outgoing call issues.

No, when I activated Fi I told them to give me a new # - my old T-Mobile # and GV # were overrun with cold calls, including from collection agencies for somebody who apparently dumped their phone # after skipping out on a student loan - so I wanted a clean slate with my new Fi account.

OK, just went into the Fi account page, then to the Google Voice link at the bottom (thanks for reminding me that it's there!), and while I did still have GV forwarding to my home landline phone, it was to an old landline # that I dumped a while ago (I had to get a new landline # after some scammer started spoofing my old # - which resulted in some nasty "stop calling me" calls from some people that apparently have never heard that Caller ID / ANI can be spoofed).

So, no more GV forwarding #s now - Hopefully that will get rid of any residual flakiness ...

--
Alex

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Did you port your number to Fi from another carrier, or bring in a Google Voice number? ... As someone else pointed out in another thread here as well, if you ported from your carrier and previously had a Google Voice number forwarding to that number, it may have crossed the lines a bit. When in doubt, you can go to the Project Fi website, scroll to the bottom bar and click "Google Voice" to get back into your Voice settings and see if there are any odd forwarding numbers or issues. ...

Nope, didn't port my GV number (as I noted in my other response), and after testing today it appears that it wasn't an issue with old GV forwarding either. After I made sure the other day that my GV and Fi accounts were clear of all forwarding numbers, ...

I tried calling my Nexus 6 from my home landline (a Verizon FiOS Digital Voice #) again today, and confirmed (a couple of times) that if I'm logged into my Google account on my desktop - logged into Calendar, not even logged into Hangouts - my Nexus 6 will not ring. But if I log out of my Google account on my desktop, or shut my desktop PC down, then calls from my home landline # DO ring through to my Nexus 6 phone.

EDIT: OK, just for the halibut I tried again several times while logged out of Google AND even with my desktop PC shut down - and now NONE of the calls from my home landline phone rang on my Nexus 6. I let one ring all the way through until my Google Fi voicemail kicked in, so the Fi network is definitey routing the call correctly, it's just not notifying my Nexus 6 phone that there's an incoming call (when the Nexus 6 fails to ring, no incoming call shows up in the Recents call log). So, just when I thought I had reproduced the issue, the behavior went back to completely inconsistent again. NOT desireable behavior for a telephone service!

EDIT 2: OK, so I just tried the procedure I've decided to call the "Google Fi 5-Minute Detox Cleanse" (sa referenced from another thread here, apparently found on the Project Fi Google+ page:

1. Power down Nexus 6
2. Remove SIM
3. Power up Nexus 6 with no SIM installed (I re-installed the SIM tray witout a SIM in it).
4. Settings - Apps - Project Fi:
5. Clear Cache (Project Fi app)
6. Clear Data (Project Fi app)
7. Uninstall (Project Fi app)
8. Settings - Storage - Cached Data (scroll towards bottom of list) - Clear Cached Data
9. Power down Nexus 6
10. Re-install SIM
11. Power up Nexus 6
12. Re-install Project Fi app
13. Re-Activate Project Fi

After all this run-around, I'm still having issues not being able to get calls from my home landline to ring through to my Fi Nexus 6 - they still eventually connect to my Fi voicemail, but they only ring on my Nexus 6 occasionally.

EDIT 3: Just re-confirmed an earlier finding - after a call from my home landline to my Nexus 6 fails to ring on the Nexus 6, if I then place a call from my Nexus 6 to my home landline (which works fine), then immediately place a call from my home landline to my Nexus 6, the call [FINALLY] rings on my Nexus 6. However, 5 minutes later, a call from my home landline to my Nexus 6 fails to ring again.

--
Alex

Last edited:

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
OK, so after joining "The official, invite-only Project Fi community" on Google+ (they invite you when you join Fi - all you have to do is accept the invite ...) and poking around a bit, I found the following moderated Troubleshooting discussion, which makes it pretty clear that there is an on-going, non-trivial issue with people not getting incoming calls on the Fi Nexus 6:

Missed Calls? Read this post!

Here's a quoteed post from the moderator as of 24 Jun (emphasis mine): "Thanks everyone for your patience! I just want to let everyone know that the team is diligently working on finding a solution for this high priority bug. They understand it is affecting a lot of users and that it is imperative for everyone to receive all of their calls. I'll keep you updated as I receive updates. In the meantime, please continue to send reports as instructed above so they have as much data as possible to fix the issue!?"

Included in this post are recommended methods for reporting the issue via Fi Feedback, what to report, and which hashtags to add to that your reporting ends up in this post. As soon as I get a chance I'll try logging the issue as they request and reporting it the way they ask ....

I have seen the following suggested in various posts throughout the Community:

If you only/mostly have issues when on Wi-Fi and want to use (prefer to use) Wi-Fi, put your phone in Airplane Mode then enable Wi-Fi ... It has been reported that Fi currently prefers cellular data over Wi-Fi and turning off the cell data connection may make your Wi-Fi connectivity "more reliable".

--
Alex

Chipras3

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having similar issues.
when I get calls, about 50% of the time the caller never hears a ring and when I answer it's just perfect silence on both ends of the line.
a smaller but still significant percentage of the time, when I place calls the same thing happens.
I can hear them pick up, then silence
Sometimes the calls work just fine with no issues
and then sometimes they work fine at first and then silence for a few seconds and then back
or the call just disconnects altogether.

It does seem like it mostly happens with I'm not around Wifi but Wifi is turned on.

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
There is or was an issue with Sprint + WiFi ON, phone would not ring

They seem to have changed something - either with the Nexus 6 "Connectivity" system or with the carrier network provisioning ...

When I first activated Fi I was very happy to see that I had a nice strong LTE cell signal inside my house. I previously only had weak 1-/2-bar T-Mobile EDGE, which frequently dropped completely unless I walked to the part of my house closest to the miles-away T-Mobile tower.

After I installed SignalCheck Pro I discovered that I was connecting to a strong Sprint LTE 800 signal from a much closer Sprint tower, so I was a much happier camper than I was as a [just] T-Mobile customer.

Now, after you mentioned the Sprint + WiFi incoming call issues, on checking SignalCheck Pro the past few days I notice that I'm no longer connecting to the Sprint LTE 800 signal while at home - instead I'm seeing T-Mobile LTE AWS or (SURPRISE) T-Mobile LTE 700 at a significantly lower signal level than the Sprint LTE 800 (probably from the same miles-away T-Mobile tower). Maybe Google/Sprint decided to change some things around to see if "preferring" T-Mobile while connected to Wi-Fi (even if Sprint has a stronger signal) might help with the incoming call issues.

--
Alex

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
They seem to have changed something - either with the Nexus 6 "Connectivity" system or with the carrier network provisioning ...

When I first activated Fi I was very happy to see that I had a nice strong LTE cell signal inside my house. I previously only had weak 1-/2-bar T-Mobile EDGE, which frequently dropped completely unless I walked to the part of my house closest to the miles-away T-Mobile tower.

After I installed SignalCheck Pro I discovered that I was connecting to a strong Sprint LTE 800 signal from a much closer Sprint tower, so I was a much happier camper than I was as a [just] T-Mobile customer.

Now, after you mentioned the Sprint + WiFi incoming call issues, on checking SignalCheck Pro the past few days I notice that I'm no longer connecting to the Sprint LTE 800 signal while at home - instead I'm seeing T-Mobile LTE AWS or (SURPRISE) T-Mobile LTE 700 at a significantly lower signal level than the Sprint LTE 800 (probably from the same miles-away T-Mobile tower). Maybe Google/Sprint decided to change some things around to see if "preferring" T-Mobile while connected to Wi-Fi (even if Sprint has a stronger signal) might help with the incoming call issues.

--
Alex

Possible. It's a well know Sprint bug, not Project Fi. I would prefer T-Mobile network anyway, Sprint doesn't support simultaneous call and data + I think T-Mobile LTE is faster

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Possible. It's a well know Sprint bug, not Project Fi. I would prefer T-Mobile network anyway, Sprint doesn't support simultaneous call and data + I think T-Mobile LTE is faster

T-Mobile is _potentially_ faster, given the same RF conditions, but the T-Mobile tower is 3 miles futher away, on the other side of a hill (the hill that the Sprint tower is on top of), and the Sprint tower is is about 100 ft taller in overall height on top of that. In addition, until T-Mobile fully rolls out a 700MHz signal in my area, the T-Mobile 1700/2100MHz LTE AWS is under some serious disadvantages propagating to me compared to the Sprint 800MHz LTE signal from a 3-mile closer antenna (I was on T-Mobile before and the signal was notorious for giving me only 1-2 bars of EDGE signal in my house, then dropping out in the middle of a call - called T-Mobile Customer Service to report the issue and they had no answer, just closed my ticket without doing anything). My phone calls don't work on John Legere's bluster or notional LTE spec sheets, they work on the reality of my RF environment.

--
Alex

Jezepol

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar problem in which I'd call my Nexus 6 with my old t-mobile phone, but no call would get through to my Nexus6 (used my GV # for it). I'd only be automatically asked for my pin to access my GV #'s voicemail.

This happened consistently until I went to my Fi account online and turned off that "being able to access my voicemail through any phone" option. I can get incoming calls to my Nexus 6 now. It's still a bug, right, but I hope my input would help for now. Does this work/not work for anyone else?

Yes, I totally made this account just to write this post.

enyce9

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
This is still an issue on the Sprint network, I have had this problem for over 6 months, and on my second nexus 6, still with this major problem. If you are on fi and not getting incoming calls you are more than likely connected to Sprint when you are having the the incoming call issue.

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
This is still an issue on the Sprint network, I have had this problem for over 6 months, and on my second nexus 6, still with this major problem. If you are on fi and not getting incoming calls you are more than likely connected to Sprint when you are having the the incoming call issue.

Thanks for confirming your non-Fi experience with Sprint incoming call issues.

On Fi there's a compounding issue - if you have both a Sprint connection AND a WiFi connection, then Fi currently "prefers" the Sprint cell connection, which of course means that you are then subject to the unrealiable Sprint connectivity regardless of the quality of your WiFi connection. The Fi "answer" is just a workaround - put your N6 in Airplane mode then turn WiFi back on - which works fine until you walk or drive away from your home WiFi connection with Airplane mode still on.

So, even though the closer Sprint tower and their LTE 800 deliver a "better" cell signal for me than the far-away T-Mobile tower (even with T-Mobile's LTE 700 service), I'm still stuck with the unreliable Sprint connectivity when I'm at home with WiFi.

--
Alex

enyce9

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for confirming your non-Fi experience with Sprint incoming call issues.

On Fi there's a compounding issue - if you have both a Sprint connection AND a WiFi connection, then Fi currently "prefers" the Sprint cell connection, which of course means that you are then subject to the unrealiable Sprint connectivity regardless of the quality of your WiFi connection. The Fi "answer" is just a workaround - put your N6 in Airplane mode then turn WiFi back on - which works fine until you walk or drive away from your home WiFi connection with Airplane mode still on.

So, even though the closer Sprint tower and their LTE 800 deliver a "better" cell signal for me than the far-away T-Mobile tower (even with T-Mobile's LTE 700 service), I'm still stuck with the unreliable Sprint connectivity when I'm at home with WiFi.

--
Alex
The quote- unquote FI answer just shows there is a major problem with the nexus 6 and the Sprint LTE network..... This problem needs to be addressed asap. I have a FI sim ready to go but holding off on activation because my problem with missed calls while having an LTE connection and WiFi at the same time on Sprint will only be carried over to FI

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

TheRoyalFig

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the N6 and on Sprint. I think I receive maybe only 25% of incoming calls. It's hard to tell, because the only way to know whether I missed one if there's a voicemail indicating it (and who leaves voicemails these days?). My Fi sim card is on its way, but I'm less inclined to switch if this will continue to be an issue. Hopefully Google can figure this out, because I have no faith in Sprint!

enyce9

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is, if users don't report this issue this will never get resolved, call sprints executive # and report it. Be very specific, let them know when WiFi and LTE are connected at the same time.
The phone # on the better business bureau website will get you to executive customer service.
BBB dot org/kansas-city/business-reviews/telephone-communications/sprint-corporation-in-overland-park-ks-98010534/
I can't post links evidently

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674