3 day into Project Fi

tviren

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
One of the reasons I chose to use Project Fi is that I wanted to make phone calls and texts from my home, that is not served by T-Mobile my previous carrier. I was getting a small amount of signal, with an "R" on top of it. I assumed it meant rooming, and it must have been Sprint.

In any case I was unable to make or receive calls. Part of the problem appeared to be that my Google Hangout was out of date and all attempts to update it failed.

My first break came the second day when I went to a Medical appointment in town and had a strong Lte signal. I updated Hangout and the rest of my apps quickly. I was also able to call out.

The updated Hangout now showed Project Fi settings and was 3.3 the latest.

I was able to make calls out, but not receive call in. After additional contact with support I turned off/on Airplane mode without success. I then powered off and on, and that helped. I was able to receive calls but not consistently.

It was still not delivering on the promise of WiFi calling. I just tested it again. I call my N6 using my home phone. The call went through, but when I answered it there was no response, and my home phone continued to ring, then forwarded to it's answering machine. My home phone is one of the numbers that Google Voice(Hangout) forwards calls to.

I am hoping time will solve these issues, but anyone has suggestions I am all ears.

Mikhel

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
There is a thread about someone having difficulties receiving calls. It seems to be similar to your issue. If I remember correctly, the problem might be due to the fact that your home phone is a forwarding number of your Google voice number. You have to go specifically turn that off.
Good luck.

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
One of the reasons I chose to use Project Fi is that I wanted to make phone calls and texts from my home, that is not served by T-Mobile my previous carrier. I was getting a small amount of signal, with an "R" on top of it. I assumed it meant rooming, and it must have been Sprint.
I was able to make calls out, but not receive call in. After additional contact with support I turned off/on Airplane mode without success. I then powered off and on, and that helped. I was able to receive calls but not consistently.

It was still not delivering on the promise of WiFi calling. I just tested it again. I call my N6 using my home phone. The call went through, but when I answered it there was no response, and my home phone continued to ring, then forwarded to it's answering machine. My home phone is one of the numbers that Google Voice(Hangout) forwards calls to.

I am hoping time will solve these issues, but anyone has suggestions I am all ears.

I had the same problem with my home phone and my Google Fi Nexus 6 last weekend - the only time I could get a call from my home phone to ring on my Nexus 6 phone while the Nexus 6 was connected via my home Wi-Fi was after I tried powering the Nexus 6 off and on and then calling my home phone from my Nexus 6. Note that it wasn't the case that the call wasn't being connected (when I just let it ring it eventually connected me to my Fi voicemail, I could leave a Fi voicemail msg, and then see and listen to the Fi voicemail on my Nexus 6 phone) - it was just that the Nexus 6 wasn't ringing when called from the home phone.

As I said, this is no longer a problem for me - just now called my Nexus 6 (while the Nexus 6 is sitting next to me connected to my home Wi-Fi) from my home phone and the Nexus 6 rang.

I SUSPECT some Fi bug, and/or that it might have been some kind of issue with the underlying Google Voice functionality in Google Fi, and/or that there was some remnants of my former Google Voice account forwarding that was carried over when they created my Fi account and migrated my old Google Voice account - IOW, that calls from numbers associated in my old Google Voice account were causing some kind of call setup loop in Google Fi and not doing all of the proper phone network signalling that makes the Nexus 6 ring. It may be that last weekend Google did some "cleanup" and/or final migration of my old Google Voice, and that [finally] cleared out any confusing data that had auto-migrated to my Fi account.

If you previously had a Google Voice account before you got Google Fi, I suggest you login to Google Voice on your desktop and check your forwarding numbers to make sure your home phone is no longer in there.

[ NOTE: in my case, "before Fi" I had a T-Mobile # on a Moto X 2014 coupled to a separate Google Voice #, and the GV # was forwarded to the T-Mobile # on my Moto X 2014. When I activated Google Fi I told them to give me a new Fi # (my old T-Mobile and GV #s were overrun with cold-call spam), so my old GV account had to go away (be migrated/merged into my new Fi account) ... and some remnants of my old GV account may have confused my Fi account. In any case, when I started up Fi I did NOT have my old GV account forwarding to my home phone #, so I'm not sure why the GV to Fi migration would have confused Fi's signalling. All I know is that today, almost exactly one month after I activated Fi, my Fi calling on home Wi-Fi seems to be fine. ]

--
Alex

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

In any case I was unable to make or receive calls. Part of the problem appeared to be that my Google Hangout was out of date and all attempts to update it failed.

My first break came the second day when I went to a Medical appointment in town and had a strong Lte signal. I updated Hangout and the rest of my apps quickly. I was also able to call out.

The updated Hangout now showed Project Fi settings and was 3.3 the latest.

Also, there is another thread here where it was reported that Google has acknowledged a bug: if you are logged into Hangouts on your desktop then your Fi Nexus 6 will not ring. I un-installed my Windows Chrome Hangouts extension and logged out of Gmail Hangouts in order to work around this issue.

[ I'm pretty sure this wasn't the problem last weekend, because I actually shut down my PC and checked my Google Account to make sure I wasn't logged in anywhere else while debugging my "Nexus 6 doesn't ring when called from home phone" problem. ]

--
Alex

tviren

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Alex, I think you have probably found the issue. I also was on T-Mobil and ported my cell# from them. This replace my old GV # with my Fi #. It wasn't clean and traces of my old GV# lingered in my hangout account. This was due to an old version of Hangout on my N6 Fi phone. When that go fixed by visiting a area that had signal I started getting inconsistent success. I think the fact that my home phone is connected to GV is the rest of the problem. The problem however is that when I attempt to go into my GV account on the desktop it immediately transfers me to my Project Fi account, and there is no place to make adjustments to forwarded number in that account. I will try tech support a little later today and see it they can direct to the right location. I also agree that these are early bugs that they are probably aware of and will eventually be ironed out. Thanks again, and I will keep this thread update on steps that seem to work.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Alex, I think you have probably found the issue. I also was on T-Mobil and ported my cell# from them. This replace my old GV # with my Fi #. It wasn't clean and traces of my old GV# lingered in my hangout account. This was due to an old version of Hangout on my N6 Fi phone. When that go fixed by visiting a area that had signal I started getting inconsistent success. I think the fact that my home phone is connected to GV is the rest of the problem. The problem however is that when I attempt to go into my GV account on the desktop it immediately transfers me to my Project Fi account, and there is no place to make adjustments to forwarded number in that account. I will try tech support a little later today and see it they can direct to the right location. I also agree that these are early bugs that they are probably aware of and will eventually be ironed out. Thanks again, and I will keep this thread update on steps that seem to work.

Check out the "forwarding" area of the Project Fi settings either in the Fi app or on the Fi website.

You can also get back to the Google Voice website to tweak settings by going to the Project Fi website, then clicking the "Google Voice" button down at the bottom of the page (small font in the bottom bar).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs