Have an Invite for Secondary Account

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
What are the repercussions of accepting an invite for Project Fi under a secondary account? I signed up under a secondary account that I use for bill paying and financials. At the time it made sense to me, Project Fi is a cell service, aka a bill. Now, I'm wondering what problems this will create while using my phone which uses my primary account.

I have a Google Voice number associated with my primary account, but I don't mind losing it. I setup my secondary account on my phone, but won't this get messy with Hangouts, Play Store, current apps, etc?

Help me think this through, please.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it's best to use Project Fi with whatever Google Account you use as a "primary" one -- aka one that you'd use most for the Play Store, hangouts, etc.

Google already struggles enough to offer good multi-account support, you don't wanna mess with that by having your phone number and service tied to a secondary account.

drt777

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I, too, have a secondary account. If I get a Fi phone for my secondary account, and I activate it as a forwarding number on my primary GV account? (I know I cannot forward my primary GV account to a secondary GV phone number. But can I forward my primary GV account to a secondary Fi phone number?)
Any insights from actual experience would be most appreciated. I can't give up some of the GV functionality by going Fi on my primary account.
THANKS, in advance, for your replies!

ptScott

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I had the same concerns before switching to Fi and after some tinkering and research was confident that everything would work. It did.

With the old Google Voice (Before hangouts integration), it would not have worked. Google Voice forwarded incoming calls to your telephone number. This does not work with Fi, as your Fi number is recognized as a Google Voice number (Cannot forwarded from one GV to another). With Hangouts integration, incoming phone calls are routed to Google Chat (VOIP).

As I wanted Fi to be on my primary Google account, I transferred my GV (Work) number to a secondard Google account. The below link can be used to move GV numbers between accounts:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3527591?hl=en

I now have my primary and secondary accounts logged into my phone and I can send/receive SMS and calls through the Hangouts app. Single caveat to this is that data is used for the GV/Hangouts function. This works perfectly for me as I have WiFi in most places I work and very little data is required for VOIP - A weak 3G connection has sufficed and I imagine 2G may work as well.

TofuTwit

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I had the same concerns before switching to Fi and after some tinkering and research was confident that everything would work. It did.

With the old Google Voice (Before hangouts integration), it would not have worked. Google Voice forwarded incoming calls to your telephone number. This does not work with Fi, as your Fi number is recognized as a Google Voice number (Cannot forwarded from one GV to another). With Hangouts integration, incoming phone calls are routed to Google Chat (VOIP).

As I wanted Fi to be on my primary Google account, I transferred my GV (Work) number to a secondard Google account. The below link can be used to move GV numbers between accounts:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3527591?hl=en

I now have my primary and secondary accounts logged into my phone and I can send/receive SMS and calls through the Hangouts app. Single caveat to this is that data is used for the GV/Hangouts function. This works perfectly for me as I have WiFi in most places I work and very little data is required for VOIP - A weak 3G connection has sufficed and I imagine 2G may work as well.
I would love if this setup works for me. Are you saying that your Work number is able to be accessed via the GV app on your phone? Do calls to that number ring on the GV app?

ptScott

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I would love if this setup works for me. Are you saying that your Work number is able to be accessed via the GV app on your phone? Do calls to that number ring on the GV app?

I do not have the GV app on my phone. My Project FI number is used with the stand Phone app and Messenger to text. Hangouts handles phone calls and text for my GV number. To ensure this works, logon to your google.com/voice page and make sure that forwarding is set to Google Chat.

TofuTwit

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I do not have the GV app on my phone. My Project FI number is used with the stand Phone app and Messenger to text. Hangouts handles phone calls and text for my GV number. To ensure this works, logon to your google.com/voice page and make sure that forwarding is set to Google Chat.

Understood. I was mistakenly under the impression that Hangouts needed to be tied to your Fi account on the phone. If I can use Hangouts for just my GV number, then I should be good to go. I just signed up for Fi under my secondary account to test out reception and service. Fingers crossed! Thanks!