Anyone Cancel Project Fi?

FZDolfan

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
What happens if you buy a phone through FI and you have problems? If you decide to cancel will they take the phone back?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of cancelling right now (number is porting back to GV, which is why I'm here now...to find out how long it takes). I financed a Nexus 6P and the page says you can return the phone for a refund if it's less than 15 days since you received it (I received mine on 11/9/15). As much as I like the phone, my Galaxy S5 on Verizon is still more than capable, so I can't justify keeping a $650 phone I don't really need.
What I haven't found out yet is if they deduct the $50 for the Google Play credit I received for signing up.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6183893?hl=en

FZDolfan

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
and wait on my confirmation of my cancellation, the conversion back to Google Voice is still in progress at this point.

How long did it take to cancel and go back to Google Voice? I'm waiting about 5 hours at this point. It only took 5 minutes to activate Fi from GV initially.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The service is going down hill sharply...that includes customer support, bugs, and coverage. Unless they improve all that, I wont be staying with them much longer. (got some international traveling to do, then might cancel) They said some changes are coming within few months......they could be lying too since they dont even say what changes.

At launch they used to actually help and fix problems. Now all support help is just copy/paste bs. They seem to have trouble assisting and providing service for 10k members. I was very excited at first, but at this point cant recommend Fi to anyone.

dgenxindiah

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Google Fi Pros and Cons:-

Pros
- Good Service
- Discounted Nexus
- High speed internet
- Most of the time signal strength is high
- Easily Track usage
- Google refunds unused amount

Cons
- Internet outage ( sometimes in some areas)
- Project Fi app will use your data too
- No Free international calling as provided in same rate by Lycamobile
- Very expensive to repair Nexus phones
- You cant use google voice with FI, ( google products incompatible with google products ?? I know right )
- Some times there is a network congestion and you have to delete cache and reactivate your service ( 5- 10 mins work)

I guess the minds behind Fi are the same , who were behind Google+ LOL

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Odd, I've not seen an Internet Outage, or even heard from one that wasn't affecting one of the network's Fi is using. At that point, if there is an outage in your area, it seems like is should switch and, failing that, you should be able to switch to another carrier (unless neither of the other two get a signal in the area you need it). I've also never heard of having to "delete cache" and reactivate service. I largely read all the Google+ posts and don't recall hearing about these issues there, not in an ongoing type of way, either.

I'm not trying to claim you haven't had the issues, just that it seems like a rather isolated issue.

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I am a 20 year ATT wireless customer who decided to give Fi a try (without cancelling ATT). I was intrigued by the concept and the international roaming, and getting a Nexus 5X for $199 made it a great deal.

All in all I was pleased with the level of service and coverage (comparable to ATT and Verizon where I checked it) and VERY pleased with the monthly bill. However, one of the main reasons I was interested in Fi was for voice and data roaming in Canada. When I signed up with Fi, ATT was not offering affordable Canadian data roaming and phone calls were $1/minute in Canada so Fi looked to be an affordable alternative. Unfortunately, on my first Canadian weekend trip Fi let me down. My phone had a great signal and good data on the phone itself. However, WiFi tethering did not work. My laptop could connect to my phone OK but the phone did not pass any data to the laptop.

I called Fi three times to try to figure out what was wrong. And I got three different answers. A) "tethering works in Canada, just not in the town where you are", B) "tethering does not work in Canada at all", and C) "tethering works in Canada and should work you are, but we have no idea why it is not working". I finally gave up and used my ATT phone (ATT recently has started offering free Canadian roaming) and cancelled Fi when I got home. To add insult to injury, I was even charged for the three calls to Fi support at $0.20/minute.

A shame as I really like the concept of Fi.

Paul

jetrainer

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
The service is going down hill sharply...that includes customer support, bugs, and coverage. Unless they improve all that, I wont be staying with them much longer. (got some international traveling to do, then might cancel) They said some changes are coming within few months......they could be lying too since they dont even say what changes.

At launch they used to actually help and fix problems. Now all support help is just copy/paste bs. They seem to have trouble assisting and providing service for 10k members. I was very excited at first, but at this point cant recommend Fi to anyone.

jetrainer

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Your experience was your experience, so no one can argue with you.

I however, have had a completely different experience. I have used Project Fi for over a year and have had no problems with connectivity, data, OR service. For reasons of my own making I have contacted Fi support both by telephone and email and found their response to be immediate, through, and very effective.

As said above the connwctivity, data plan, and support has been fantastic. My bill averages $28 per month - including taxes. Like other posters, I have learned to use my WiFi and WiFi Hot Spots wisely. I only pay for what I use, with the balance credited back to my account. All of my calls are crystal clear.

For these reasons and others, I am not only not reluctant to recommend Fi, I heartily encourage selection of the service!

This is my experience...

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Im assuming you like project fi if you're going to leave verizon. Id like to do the same but im not willing to let my S7 edge go.

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I am generally ok with Fi but I am not really impressed with the coverage. I am in a Tampa suburb and LTE coverage is spotty. I live and work near major roads and yet I get way too much 3G signal or worse and I have had calls drop on me. This is especially frustrating when having to wait 20+ minutes on the phone to speak to a human being. I generally like Fi but the coverage is not what I am used to with Verizon. I am thinking about switching back.

As an aside, Fi also was useless to me when I went to Jamaica. Jamaica seems to be rather problematic for a lot of people.

anon(9410778)

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
So i just recently cancelled project fi and went back to Verizon which i hoped to not have to do.

I had lots of signal issues. My home area supposedly has solid tmobile and sprint coverage. Band 12 for tmobile is online here and we are a former clearwire covered area. So on paper It looked as though things should be great but in reality it was just okay to spotty. There were plenty of times i'd have no data but have a full LTE signal. Call quality suffered and often times i'd have callers tell me that they kept getting a busy signal when calling me with no option to leave a voicemail. That's one thing i cant live with, calls not coming through. I need to be available basically 24/7 to my family.

I assume that if I lived in a more major metropolitan area i'd get better coverage but my experience in Las Vegas was that same as it was at home for me. Those of you lucky enough to have Fi work for you, that's great and i'm not knocking the service. It just didnt work out so well for me.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear you had poor results in Vegas. I have had FI here in Spring Valley (Southwest Las Vegas) for 10 months with no issues. I work just south of town and have no issues there either. In my travels around Henderson and Las Vegas there have been plenty of switches between T-Mo and Sprint but both have provided LTE where ever I went (T-Mo always has faster LTE than Sprint though.)

anon(9410778)

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
For every person on here that has posted about thier reason for cancellation, someone has decided to directly refute thier experience with a claim of how well it works for them. Great and all, but this isn't the thread for you, it's for those of us who have left and for us to post our reasons. Please don't try to invalidate them with your stories of success on the network or how you save so much money.

The service didn't work for my uses. I live in an area that has great T-Mobile and Sprint coverage. My service in that area has been below what I expect of a modern cell service. I experienced slow/no data and missed calls that would go to a busy signal quite frequently to the point where I missed many important calls. Switching to wifi calling didn't help.

My travel experience was short. Again I was in an area that showed a great signal but I had a very slow data experience. It could've been congestion or whatever it may have been but on another network that my wife was using, the problem didn't exist.

My experience with was not good enough to keep me with the service.

That is not a statement telling anyone else the service sucks or that they should cancel and that there is no one who has good service on Fi. It is MY list of reasons of why I decided project Fi was not for ME.

gcstang123

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
I am a 20 year ATT wireless customer who decided to give Fi a try (without cancelling ATT). I was intrigued by the concept and the international roaming, and getting a Nexus 5X for $199 made it a great deal.

All in all I was pleased with the level of service and coverage (comparable to ATT and Verizon where I checked it) and VERY pleased with the monthly bill. However, one of the main reasons I was interested in Fi was for voice and data roaming in Canada. When I signed up with Fi, ATT was not offering affordable Canadian data roaming and phone calls were $1/minute in Canada so Fi looked to be an affordable alternative. Unfortunately, on my first Canadian weekend trip Fi let me down. My phone had a great signal and good data on the phone itself. However, WiFi tethering did not work. My laptop could connect to my phone OK but the phone did not pass any data to the laptop.

I called Fi three times to try to figure out what was wrong. And I got three different answers. A) "tethering works in Canada, just not in the town where you are", B) "tethering does not work in Canada at all", and C) "tethering works in Canada and should work you are, but we have no idea why it is not working". I finally gave up and used my ATT phone (ATT recently has started offering free Canadian roaming) and cancelled Fi when I got home. To add insult to injury, I was even charged for the three calls to Fi support at $0.20/minute.

A shame as I really like the concept of Fi.

Paul

did you have to pay full price for the phone after cancelling?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
did you have to pay full price for the phone after cancelling?

If you buy the phone with a payment plan through Project Fi, you must pay the phone off before you can cancel. If you buy the new Pixel phone on a Google Payment plan (through the Google Store), I don't believe you will need to pay it off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user