What is the Project Fi sequence?

SomeWhoCallMeTim

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I realize this may have already been covered elsewhere but a search didn't find what I was looking for. I was wondering what an appropriate sequence might be for getting started with Project Fi.

In my case I have an invite in hand for a gmail address. I haven't acted on the invite. I haven't ordered a sim, I don't yet have a Project Fi'able phone.

Is my sequence:

ask for invite -> get invite -> decide what to do about Google Voice number -> accept invite -> order Google Fi sim -> get Project Fi'able phone (currently certain Nexus 6s) -> activate phone?

Q: Does accepting the invite automatically involve ordering a sim?

Q: Can one accept an invite, not order a Google Fi sim, and participate in the protected Project Fi googlegroup or does one need to be actively using a sim?

Q: Where in the above sequence can I pause without incurring charges?

I've got my invite, but am trying to figure out the next step, thinking that I might want to wait (perhaps for a long time) for a phone that works with Project Fi that isn't a Nexus 6.

My conclusion is that I should sit on my invite without accepting it until I figure out what phone I'll use (buy a nexus 6 or wait in hopes newer nexuses are added). Is there any reason to accept an invite now? Access to the google group for example?

thx

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Since you are undecided about the phone, I would pause right where you are and not order the SIM card now.

A. Yes, going through "picking up" the invitation involves ordering the SIM card.

A. I'm not sure, but I think that you have to accept the invitation in order to get access to the private Google Plus Project Fi community. I don't think that the SIM card would have to be active, but I'm not sure. My SIM card was active before I joined the private community.

A comment here is that you aren't missing much if you aren't in the private community. The public Project Fi community has plenty of Fi users that are sharing their experiences.

A. You can pause where you are now and not incur charges. You have a 30-day window that you must act in once you order the SIM card. I've seen different answers as to what happens if you get a SIM card but don't activate it within 30 days. You can also suspend service once you start Project Fi for up to 3 months.

fiverings5

May 16, 2014
Visit site
You can order just the sim card for now. Amazon has a sale on the Nexus 6 $349 for 32gb & $399 for 64gb available in blue or white.
Brand new XT1103 sold by Amazon. Fi advises you to call them before you put sim in phone and they will activate you phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol