Project Fi Activation from Verizon Inquiry

Joe92t

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys, just a quick one for you.

My Contract for Verizon is up In November, I just received my Project Fi Invite today, which I am looking to try, however do not want to be subject to an ETF from Verizon since Im so close to being out of agreement.

Can I go through the Fi Application process via the Website, order my SIM and get everything together while i Wait, or will ordering a SIM cause my number to Port to Project FI, thereby incurring an ETF from VZW??

Specifically, does signing up via the Fi Invite automatically port your TN over, or can I get a Sim, Hold onto it for awhile, and then when im up with VZ, Activate it via the Android Project Fi Application to port?

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
One option you can go with is to request a new number with Project Fi and then port in your Verizon number after the contract is over. Not sure though if Fi lets you do that. I know other carriers will typically let you port a number in after the initial account set up but one never knows with Fi.

Joe92t

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i guess the real question is when does the number port from old carrier to new take over... When you order a SIM or when you activate via the android Fi App

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i guess the real question is when does the number port from old carrier to new take over... When you order a SIM or when you activate via the android Fi App

It's always when you activate. They can set up a pending port when you order but it wouldn't execute until you actually activate your service on the phone.

Joe92t

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
This is good news, and i imagine a pending port wont affect my verizon in any way shape or form until i actually "press the button" and activate via Fi App?

I know the SIM Cards have been backordered for awhile now, so just trying to snag mine before I actually need it. That way im 100% ready to go at the click of a button later on

rsimandl

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
But definitely wait to activate until your Verizon contract is up.

I made my last Verizon payment 9/5 (due 9/18) and figured that would be good enough.

I activated my Project Fi account and switched my number 9/10.

On 9/19, I received an e-mail from Verizon informing me I owed them a $120 ETF fee. Never mind that it was only 8 days before the official end of my contract and never mind that I made the last payment in full a week before THAT.

Local Verizon store manager said that's the rule, nothing she could do. Verizon support web chat said that's the rule, nothing he could do. Went through 3 CSR's at their 800 number before finally getting someone that agreed charging me an ETF was stupid and had the authority to do something about it.

She took care of it. But if I had the whole thing to do over again, I wouldn't have activated Project Fi until 9/18.

Joe92t

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
But definitely wait to activate until your Verizon contract is up.

I made my last Verizon payment 9/5 (due 9/18) and figured that would be good enough.

I activated my Project Fi account and switched my number 9/10.

On 9/19, I received an e-mail from Verizon informing me I owed them a $120 ETF fee. Never mind that it was only 8 days before the official end of my contract and never mind that I made the last payment in full a week before THAT.

Local Verizon store manager said that's the rule, nothing she could do. Verizon support web chat said that's the rule, nothing he could do. Went through 3 CSR's at their 800 number before finally getting someone that agreed charging me an ETF was stupid and had the authority to do something about it.

She took care of it. But if I had the whole thing to do over again, I wouldn't have activated Project Fi until 9/18.

Thank you for the insight. I spoke to Fi Support yesterday and they informed me I could start services with a random google provided TN and then port my verizon number over after the fact to my existing Fi Account, thereby replacing the generic google one i originally would select during the invite process.

What I thought of doing was activating via a google provided TN, and then pausing service after activation, which will stop billing. However, then i will have my Fi Service "Ready To Roll" at the press of a button (reactivation, so im not paying for two numbers) and then I can port my verizon TN over on a whim when the time comes

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I still have an unlimited VZW plan and I see they are going to bump up the cost again when your contract ends. The thing is I don't have a contract and haven't for a while. I pay month to month. I will likely switch to Project Fi rather than pay more.

zavandiver

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I just did this today. I used my Google Voice number to activate Fi to try it out until my ATT contract was up on 10/5. Did the late port today, no issues.

Jaxonb

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a Smart Talk prepaid account. I'm a little confused about activating Fi with a new number and waiting to port my old number until after my current service terminates. When I spoke with Fi support, they were very specific about not terminating my previous service until after the number had been ported because if I did, some carriers would then not port the number because I would no longer own it. That said, paying a contract bill late is not actually terminating the service, though you then may be liable for another entire month of service, but what about not paying a prepaid account? For sure the phone would shut down, but I'm not sure whether that would cause or trigger loss of my number or be a reason for them not to port it. Anyone know?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech