OG unlocked Nexus 6 on sale for 300 USD

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Just a bit annoyed/confused.
Read the hands on over at Anandtech site for Nexus 6P/5X.
The specs given show 6P is larger than 6 by a smidgen.
Then proceeded to trash the N6 for being to big vs the 6P.
Comparing specs the obvious "gorilla in the room" difference is price...which disappears with current pricing.
Now I get the idea of promoting new tech and it's incestuous food loop.
But my goodness lets keep it real.

EDIT: Forgot LINKY

Last edited:

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Just a bit annoyed/confused.
Read the hands on over at Anandtech site for Nexus 6P/5X.
The specs given show 6P is larger than 6 by a smidgen.
Then proceeded to trash the N6 for being to big vs the 6P.
Comparing specs the obvious "gorilla in the room" difference is price...which disappears with current pricing.
Now I get the idea of promoting new tech and it's incestuous food loop.
But my goodness lets keep it real.

EDIT: Forgot LINKY

The 6P is slightly taller (by half of a mm) but is narrower, I believe that is the point you are missing. Because the 6P is 5 mm narrower and 3 mm thinner, it fits easier in the hand, despite the extra half mm in height.

Other than that, the 6P should be slightly faster and has a slightly larger battery, has a much improved camera (due to the 1.55 micron pixel size) and also the front facing camera is better, as well as the fingerprint reader. The 6P will also charge faster with the USB-C connector, though it is missing wireless charging.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
The 6P is slightly taller (by half of a mm) but is narrower, I believe that is the point you are missing. Because the 6P is 5 mm narrower and 3 mm thinner, it fits easier in the hand, despite the extra half mm in height
My point: Both are large enough that calling out one for being TOO large is bogus.
Slightly faster, Slightly larger battery .
My point: Not meaningful.
much improved camera (due to the 1.55 micron pixel size) and also the front facing camera is better
Agreed, Camera's are better. FWIW. When I take pictures the limiting factor is myself, mostly anyway, not the hardware.
fingerprint reader. The 6P will also charge faster with the USB-C connector, though it is missing wireless charging.

To me these are all detriments. When other hardware utilizes USB-C then it becomes useful, now it is a minus.
In conclusion:
1-I agree that these are the latest and greatest from Google.
2-My point is the incremental improvement to current Nexus is minimal.
3-Understand that upgrades are rarely driven by necessity.
4-Anyone looking for an upgrade on a budget getting a Nexus 6 for half the price is compelling.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I found them for $280 on eBay, new and sealed, but they had some weird build on them (bootloader said it had been "modified"). Luckily, this being Nexus-land, such is not an issue when armed with factory images. :D