Update to 6.0 now or wait?

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm using my non-Verizon Nexus 6 on Verizon now with Androiid 5.1.1. I'm going to switch to Project Fi when the SIM arrives in a few weeks. Is there any reason I should, or shouldn't, wait til I get the SIM to update to 6.0?

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm using my non-Verizon Nexus 6 on Verizon now with Androiid 5.1.1. I'm going to switch to Project Fi when the SIM arrives in a few weeks. Is there any reason I should, or shouldn't, wait til I get the SIM to update to 6.0?

Google's official recommendation is that you wait for the OTA - but they give no real reason for the recommendation, the implication being maybe that they don't want to officially support a small army of impatient Fi folks who break their phones because they screw up the flashing process.

I clean-flashed my Fi N6 to Marshmallow right before the Fi forum mods announced that they didn't want us to (they waited a day after the factory images were released to make the annoucement), but I had plenty of practice beforehand - I flashed my [unused] Nexus 5 (twice - once to M Preview 3, then to M final) and my Nexus 7 2013 to M before I did my N6, so I had the process down. I pulled the Fi SIM before I flashed, and after I put it back in it re-activated me on Fi with no problem.

Marshamallow on my N6 has been fine compared to 5.x, and Fi seems to work better for me (no recurrence of the dreaded Sprint + WiFi = "missed calls" since I flashed, so I no longer keep my phone in Airplane mode at home). M has really improved battery life for my N7 and N6 - the tablet and the phone seem to actually "idle" when they're not being used, so I expect things to get better as the app developers leverage all of the M APIs.

--
Alex

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
...before the Fi forum mods announced that they didn't want us to (they waited a day after the factory images were released to make the annoucement)........
Where are those images?
I take it they were pulled.

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Where are those images?
I take it they were pulled.

No, the standard Nexus 6 Android 6.0 Marshmallow MRA58K image is all that anyone has flashed, and it's still at:

Factory Images for Nexus Devices

Nothing has changed since Google posted the links to the Nexus 6 Marshmallow image, and the Fi team has not explicitly said that there [ever] will be a different, Fi-specific image - which is what's been causing all the confusion in the Fi forum(s) - they won't say why they recommend not flashing M, and they won't clarify anything about the poor wording of their post recommending that we not flash ....

The only thing worse than NO information is BAD / MISLEADING information, and, of course, paranoid Fi users are filling the void with FUD.

--
Alex

Last edited:

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Ok, cool.
Under the impression if one already has Fi sim installed flashing the image is np.
Trying to activate using the factory image is a problem.
Again, just my impression...don't know for certain.

Bought my Nexus straight from Moto so it is the T-M model.
was thinking of flashing... then thought...Why?
While feeling the tug of fresh newness.....figure I can wait a bit.
EDIT: Ha, just now got update notification. Still *28M

Last edited:

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... Under the impression if one already has Fi sim installed flashing the image is np.
Trying to activate using the factory image is a problem.
Again, just my impression...don't know for certain....
EDIT: Ha, just now got update notification. Still *28M

Your update notification may actually be for a ~ 23MB security update - lot of users joyously reporting they're getting "the update" on the Fi forums, then reporting disappointedly afterwords that it's not the M OTA.

I clean-flashed to M with my SIM out of the phone and had no problem - at that point the Fi network and my phone had no idea that I would or would not put my Fi SIM back in (I let it re-load my apps from my last N6 backup on Google - there was a "shadow" icon for the Fi app on my desktop, but no Fi app was installed).

After my phone was done loading and updating apps I put my Fi SIM back in the phone and let it re-activate on the Fi network - again, had no issues at all - and after that it installed the Fi app automagically.

--
Alex

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Just got my Nexus 6 on Fi updated to 6.0 ota. It's coming.

So after installing the update that said 6.0 I am still on 5.1.1 the update was only 25mb so it was probably just the monthly security update. Maybe it was just mislabeled.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I did the 6.0 full image and had no issues and I am on FI. Couldn't be happier, however I may have lost band 12 it used to work here in Dallas now I can't seem to get back on band 12.

I do think there is a bit of a memory leak but very stable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I did the 6.0 full image and had no issues and I am on FI. Couldn't be happier, however I may have lost band 12 it used to work here in Dallas now I can't seem to get back on band 12. ...

There has been a LOT of user "discussion" (some of it pretty heated, which is useless - user-to-user arguments in the foums won't change the T-Mobile and Google actions in this matter) in the Fi forums about Google and T-Mobile's back-and-forth with T-Mobile Band 12 (LTE 700) support in Fi.

Supposedly,T-Mobile's position is that you're not "certified for" T-Mobile Band 12 unless you support both the Band 12 frequency AND Band 12 VoLTE - supposedly since T-Mobile Band 12 doesn't "downshift" to a less-capable signal when placing calls, if you're connected to Band 12 and can't do VoLTE then you can't make an e911-compatible emergency call, which is what has T-Mobile antsy about non-certified phones.

Google's Nexus 6 5.x.x radio and Project Fi software had previously allowed Band 12 DATA ONLY without supporting Band 12 VoLTE ... which is supposedly what is currently preventing all Nexus phones supported by Fi from using T-Mobile Band 12 under Marshmallow. Marshmallow's radio is what took away T-Mobile Band 12 - some users have flashed the last Nexus 6 5.1.1 radio and gotten Band 12 back ... but it's still Band 12 DATA ONLY.

--
Alex

Ioan Ghip

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, it seems now there is a Marshmallow OTA around (on reddit, projectfi).

Does anyone know if this version supports T-Mobile Band 12? Also, the Preview 3 supported Band 12, would the Preview 3 radio work with the final version of Marshmallow?

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Flashed the T-Mobile OTA. LYZ28M-->MRA58K.
Seems to work.

With the Lumia 1520 there was an ability to enter "test mode" then activate disabled bands.
Is that possible with the Nexus 6? How does one test which bands are enabled?

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, it seems now there is a Marshmallow OTA around (on reddit, projectfi).

Does anyone know if this version supports T-Mobile Band 12? Also, the Preview 3 supported Band 12, would the Preview 3 radio work with the final version of Marshmallow?

As far as I know, there is only one Marshmallow build available (MRA58K) - the various M OTA "builds" are like "patches" that take one of the various Lollipop 5.1.x builds up to the single 6.0 build. So, no, I seriously doubt that any Marshmallow OTA that takes you to [unified] build MRA58K will have a different radio, so T-Mobile Band 12 would still not be supported on Fi.

Yes, it's possible that the M Preview 3 radio (if, in fact, it did support T-Mobile Band 12 data) would "work" if flashed on top of MRA58K - just as users have reported that flashing the Lollipop 5.1.x radio did.

--
Alex

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Flashed the T-Mobile OTA. LYZ28M-->MRA58K.
Seems to work.

With the Lumia 1520 there was an ability to enter "test mode" then activate disabled bands.
Is that possible with the Nexus 6? How does one test which bands are enabled?

I have not heard of any such "test mode" on the Nexus 6 - probably the best/only place to find such info is on the developers forums.

Disabling LTE bands could be done in the radio and not visible to the outside world (the phone user) except empirically - for example, gather evidence that you once received a band (e.g., a screen snap of SignalCheck or a similar app that displays the current band) and then have later evidence that you no longer can. Of course, unless you have an LTE base station and an RF chamber you would have to conduct such experiments in the real world, where other factors (base station / tower status, other users and time of day, your location, etc.) can affect whether the Band 12 signal is even available to you.

--
Alex

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
[REF] [RADIO] Nexus 6 Modem Collection | LYZ… | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

FWIW, extracted modems for your perusal. at your own risk ... of course.

Beware: second Marshmallow preview build had radio issues.
close to the end there are other modems listed.
some swear '24r being the best.
NOTE: Believe that is the radio from "M" preview 4.
Note2: preview builds had all bands active [per thread].

Last edited:

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
This Band 12 issue is becoming annoying since Fi team themselves have no clue if it will be supported or not, and yet they claim FULL Tmobile coverage...

They want sell service and new phones and yet when you ask them about Tmobile coverage all they say is we don't know and we don't know when we will have any info on this.

Androidcentral should make an article on this B12 issue and Fi, that will make them move a little faster....

Last edited:

Ioan Ghip

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, extracted modems for your perusal. at your own risk ... of course.

Beware: second Marshmallow preview build had radio issues.
close to the end there are other modems listed.
some swear '24r being the best.
NOTE: Believe that is the radio from "M" preview 4.
Note2: preview builds had all bands active [per thread].

I used the radio from M preview MPA44I and T-Mobile Band 12 works again.