Text Messaging on Project Fi

phattysalz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Project Fi certainly has me interested, however I am looking for some insight from people who are using it on their experience with text messaging on the service. Is it equally reliable on wifi and carrier signals? Is threaded group messaging fully functional? Is MMS reliable? The reason I ask is I have tried google voice texting in Hangouts and while it was great to SMS text on wifi and have everything synced across devices, it was awful with group messages. I couldn't create a group thread. Also responses to group messages went individually to the participants instead of in a threaded message. That is ridiculous to me. So is the Google Fi messaging the same experience as you would get on a major carrier? Or is it the same experience as using Google Voice via Hangouts?

I think Project Fi is a good fit since I am on WiFi most of the time and it looks like I would have coverage pretty much everywhere I go. The messaging would be a deal breaker if it was half-baked like google voice. SMS and group MMS remains the primary means of text chatting for me. It is phone/OS/app/ independent so everyone can use it. Yes, Hangouts/WhatsApp/Facebook Messenger offer much richer texting experiences, but the fact is most friends/family I chat with are not on board with those services so I need a fully functional SMS/MMS solution.

Thanks for the help!

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
+ 1, same here. I hesitated years ago about using my Google Voice# as my primary number, because I MMS A LOT! Group texts are a daily occurrence in my life so GV was out. Project Fi interests me for the price, but like the OP, I need to know SMS/MMS 100% work and don't crap out when switching networks or between Wifi spots.

Drago27

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
So I am having an issue with my texting on Project Fi. The default messaging app on my 6P "messenger" is pretty cool and I prefer it over hangouts, unfortunately, I can send sms/mms texts but when a person replies, it automatically goes to hangouts. I have been trying to fix this, but I cannot. Anyone have any suggestions or tips? Messenger is set as my default texting app, but it doesn't change a thing. It's odd.

Disaster

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Had this same issue when I tried out hangouts. i couldn't switch the default app back on my phone. The solution is to go to the hangout app on your computer and turn it off in the settings there.

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
So I am having an issue with my texting on Project Fi. The default messaging app on my 6P "messenger" is pretty cool and I prefer it over hangouts, unfortunately, I can send sms/mms texts but when a person replies, it automatically goes to hangouts. I have been trying to fix this, but I cannot. Anyone have any suggestions or tips? Messenger is set as my default texting app, but it doesn't change a thing. It's odd.

I have the same problem. I wouldn't care too much about this except that the Fi rep said this morning that when Hangouts is your default messaging app, it uses data when away from WiFi.

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Goto the hangouts app into settings. Click account settings for your gmail (your project fi gmail account , for those with multiple accounts). Theres a setitng for Project Fi Calls and SMS. Uncheck the box next to messages. Then your incoming sms will goto whatever is your default messaging app

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Goto the hangouts app into settings. Click account settings for your gmail (your project fi gmail account , for those with multiple accounts). Theres a setitng for Project Fi Calls and SMS. Uncheck the box next to messages. Then your incoming sms will goto whatever is your default messaging app

+1 This. I did this yesterday after I signed up with Fi, and FWIW, I installed Textra MMS/SMS app that I've been using for the last 2 years and works like a champ. NO issues with SMS/MMS to other phones and iPhone users. YES!

phattysalz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
All great responses. Thanks! It seems that the group MMS works well when using the Messenger app (which is what I use anyway currently).

I am holding off on trying Project Fi for now for other reasons though. I don't like the idea of having only 3 phones to choose from and have to buy if I break or lose the phone. I am pretty restricted there especially since I don't like the N6 or N6P. I am thinking that will change as time goes on, or quite the opposite if it ends up being an abandoned Google Project due to lack of interest. I like to occasionally rotate between a Nexus 5 and a Lumia 920. I also have a couple other phones if necessary which I can seamlessly switch to. Not as easy (or cheap) with Fi.

Based on my non-wifi usage, I would be saving about $7-$10 per month by switching to Fi. I have had a really good experience on Straight Talk (ATT) these past couple years so I am going to stick with that.

Thanks again for the responses.

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I'd switch either for a $7-10 savings. I am looking at saving $50-60/months switching from Verizon unlimited, although it may be closer to $30-40 with the new plans they have.

neilk

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to FI yesterday from Verizon. I will be saving $60 per month or about half the cost of Verizon. The main thing is I will actually have good coverage once again. Verizon changed their local towers so my home is no longer getting anything stronger than -110 dBm. My WiFi and T-Mobile provide me with reliable service.

pyro530

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for this!

wolfnumba1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a question man, I too am a long time Textra user, with using Textra with Project Fi (or any other SMS app that isnt hangouts) are you still able to sms from computer without services like push bullet or mightext are do you forfeit the hangouts SMS from computer or tablet when you turn it off in hangouts on the phone with the Fi SIM card in it? I have been searching for the answer and have not found it as of yet.

wolfnumba1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
+1 This. I did this yesterday after I signed up with Fi, and FWIW, I installed Textra MMS/SMS app that I've been using for the last 2 years and works like a champ. NO issues with SMS/MMS to other phones and iPhone users. YES!

I have a question man, I too am a long time Textra user, with using Textra with Project Fi (or any other SMS app that isnt hangouts) are you still able to sms from computer without services like push bullet or mightext are do you forfeit the hangouts SMS from computer or tablet when you turn it off in hangouts on the phone with the Fi SIM card in it? I have been searching for the answer and have not found it as of yet.

edit - sorry meant to quote this user