Google Protect and Project Fi

cporta

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I remember when I bought my 5x through Fi it said there will be an option to get Google protect with it. Well, I've had my 5x for a few days and there has been nothing said about it. I emailed the Fi people and they said it would be coming soon. Has anyone else had luck with Google Protect on a device purchased through fi?

I almost wish I would have just bought the phone through the regular store and got a Fi sim. They offer protect when you check out.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about Nexus Protect? It sounds like that had to be purchased at the time of the phone purchase: https://support.google.com/store/answer/6283618. Unless it's different for Project Fi users.

It is different for those who purchased the phone through Project Fi. On the order page for the phone, through Project Fi, it stated that Nexus Protect was not yet available and had a box you could check to be informed when Protect became available for the phone. It sounds as if they are planning something slightly different for Project Fi users.

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I had a lengthy chat with a Fi rep last week. I'm not thrilled.

The gist is that they are NOT going to offer Nexus Protect through Fi. Instead, they are going to offer something "better" that is exclusive to Fi but they couldn't tell me what or when that would be. I told them that one of the reasons I elected to try Fi was that there would be no difference if I ultimately decided to cancel due to mediocre coverage in my area--with this news, it appears that if I cancel Fi I will not have the opportunity to purchase Nexus Protect and I would lose any Fi protection plan.

But in surprising news: I also complained that we shouldn't have to wait considering Nexus Protect is already available for non-Fi purchasers--told the Fi rep that I have two small children and wanted to protect my phone from their whims while they're still figuring things out on Fi's end. The Fi rep surprised me by saying that Fi customers can replace damaged phones for a $100 fee. She said it was part of our warranty, but I don't see anything from Fi documenting that feature.

Bottom line is that I'm not thrilled with Fi. They mean well, but their execution from a logistics standpoint has been mediocre at best. It's classic Google of opening something to the general public when it's still not ready for primetime.

So yeah, I'm canceling Fi, RMA-ing my phone, getting a new 5X so I can buy Nexus Protect coverage (and also not have a non-uninstallable Fi app on my phone), then reactivating my number on Cricket Wireless.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

The gist is that they are NOT going to offer Nexus Protect through Fi. Instead, they are going to offer something "better" that is exclusive to Fi but they couldn't tell me what or when that would be. I told them that one of the reasons I elected to try Fi was that there would be no difference if I ultimately decided to cancel due to mediocre coverage in my area--with this news, it appears that if I cancel Fi I will not have the opportunity to purchase Nexus Protect and I would lose any Fi protection plan.

But in surprising news: I also complained that we shouldn't have to wait considering Nexus Protect is already available for non-Fi purchasers--told the Fi rep that I have two small children and wanted to protect my phone from their whims while they're still figuring things out on Fi's end. The Fi rep surprised me by saying that Fi customers can replace damaged phones for a $100 fee. She said it was part of our warranty, but I don't see anything from Fi documenting that feature.

Bottom line is that I'm not thrilled with Fi. They mean well, but their execution from a logistics standpoint has been mediocre at best. It's classic Google of opening something to the general public when it's still not ready for primetime.

So yeah, I'm canceling Fi, RMA-ing my phone, getting a new 5X so I can buy Nexus Protect coverage (and also not have a non-uninstallable Fi app on my phone), then reactivating my number on Cricket Wireless.

Thanks for the information. I've wondered what Project Fi was going to offer for phone protection and am rather disappointed, I suspected it would be a subscription type of service rather than an up front cost. It seems like with the subscription type services you always end up paying more. I suppose the one positive is that I'm thinking they may include theft/loss prevention, that isn't included as part of Nexus Protect. There is also the idea that you lose that coverage as soon as you quit Project Fi. It does sound promising that they are providing handset repairs for $100 -- which seems to be a better deal than Nexus Protect since it doesn't have the upfront cost -- though I agree that I'd like to see that policy in writing, as well as what the limitations are; that is a nice deal for those that stay with Project Fi.

As for Project Fi itself, I'm going to disagree to some degree about their execution. The fact is, Project Fi is a beta test (or maybe even a proof of concept test) for Google. While I don't recall it being explicitly stated, various comments by Google have made it clear from the start -- not to mention the invite system, which is Google's control for their beta projects.

I think the biggest flaw by Google is not allowing people to buy Nexus Protect after the fact, say within 30 days of buying the phone. This seems to be causing some people to return phones, just so they can reorder with Nexus Protect.

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't disagree with you w/r/t the beta testing aspect of it, but that still doesn't mean that Google shouldn't be able to get its cards in order prior to a wider launch. They greatly increased their number of subscribers by doing instant invites, not to mention approving a ton of pending invites at the time of the Nexus launch.

So they launch (or widely increase) two major initiatives at the same time, yet cannot integrate the two. That's why I called their execution mediocre at best, but perhaps I was being too harsh.

cporta

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

I can confirm that a rep told me the same thing regarding the $100 phone replacement. They said they are going to be rolling out the Fi version of Google Protect in the coming months. No details were given, but she did say that you could replace a damaged phone for $100 until the protection rolls out.

At least something is in place. I was nervous cause my 5X is running naked. I tried the google microfiber case on it, but didn't like it. It was a quality case but it made the 5X feel too bulky in my opinion.

Disaster

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Is that $100 only for phones bought directly through Google or does it include Nexus 6 phones bought previously from another carrier?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995