Location and Signal Strength

carterTTT

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I'm a little bit off topic. I'm using cricket, but the moment I enter the home, it says "no service". Can anyone care to tell me how to make my cell phone work inside my home?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I'm a little bit off topic. I'm using cricket, but the moment I enter the home, it says "no service". Can anyone care to tell me how to make my cell phone work inside my home?

It would sound like your phone can't pick up a signal inside your house. You might try posting this on the Cricket Forum, they may have more ideas about what may be happening and possible ways to fix it.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Phone: 6P

Voice quality: Fine while on network (WiFi calling has had issues).

Typically data speeds: Untested but no noticeable difference from previous carriers in serviced areas.

Would you recommend to other locals? Yes

Who was your previous carrier: Verizon

Additional thoughts: Service works great in/around Des Moines. Sprint and T-mobile do not have great coverage in Iowa so you can quickly lose service once you get outside of a heavily populated area. I've had some issues with calls while on WiFi (I do not believe it was due to my connection). Overall, it's a great alternative for those who have an office job. If you travel frequently around the state, be sure to check coverage areas before switching. Hopefully T-Mobile will continue to expand their network in the state.

Are you still happy with Fi service in Iowa, and have you noticed improved coverage now that US Cellular is on board? I spend most of my time in Des Moines & Ames, but I would hope the rural coverage has improved since I believe US Cellular covers the state pretty well.

Additionally, I go to Iowa State football and basketball games, and even though I always have a strong Verizon signal (even inside Hilton Coliseum) data speeds are slow with all the extra people concentrated in a small area causing network congestion. I have seen friends streaming video no problem with US Cellular, but I believe US Cellular sets up a portable tower that they use on game days, that must be the reason for their improved service.

I remember when 4G was first rolled out on Verizon, I noticed iphone users having better data service at games, I assumed it was because iphones didn't have 4G right away. So I use the app "4G Switcher" to force my Droid Turbo to 3G, which I assume is still less congested. That doesn't work for streaming very well, but at least gets good enough data to check other scores. Does anyone know if there is an app, or built-in ability to force the network to 3G on Fi?

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Are you still happy with Fi service in Iowa, and have you noticed improved coverage now that US Cellular is on board? I spend most of my time in Des Moines & Ames, but I would hope the rural coverage has improved since I believe US Cellular covers the state pretty well.

Additionally, I go to Iowa State football and basketball games, and even though I always have a strong Verizon signal (even inside Hilton Coliseum) data speeds are slow with all the extra people concentrated in a small area causing network congestion. I have seen friends streaming video no problem with US Cellular, but I believe US Cellular sets up a portable tower that they use on game days, that must be the reason for their improved service.

I remember when 4G was first rolled out on Verizon, I noticed iphone users having better data service at games, I assumed it was because iphones didn't have 4G right away. So I use the app "4G Switcher" to force my Droid Turbo to 3G, which I assume is still less congested. That doesn't work for streaming very well, but at least gets good enough data to check other scores. Does anyone know if there is an app, or built-in ability to force the network to 3G on Fi?

I apologize for taking so long to respond. Service is much better with US Cellular as another option. I have friends and family in Western Iowa and now have great service when I go back home. I to spend most of my time in Des Moines or Ames and have always had decent coverage there on Fi.

You can use an app called Signal Spy to change to the provider of your choice. I've used this at football and basketball games at ISU to get service when my friends on Verizon couldn't.

Downwind

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Phone: Nexus 5X

Voice Quality: Good, although I've been lucky to get the VoLTE lately and it's really amazing.

Data: 10 to 25

I recommend it all the time.

Previously I was on Verizon. I'm saving about $100/month since the switch.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I apologize for taking so long to respond...
No worries, thanks for the response. I had pretty much decided to give Fi a shot anyways, since there's no contract and I can just switch back to Big Red with my Pixel if I wasn't happy with the coverage. Only problem is, Google is playing "hard to get" with the 128 GB Pixels so I'm trying to decide if I should just get on the waiting list or wait for the Pixel 2 next fall at this point...

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
No worries, thanks for the response. I had pretty much decided to give Fi a shot anyways, since there's no contract and I can just switch back to Big Red with my Pixel if I wasn't happy with the coverage. Only problem is, Google is playing "hard to get" with the 128 GB Pixels so I'm trying to decide if I should just get on the waiting list or wait for the Pixel 2 next fall at this point...

Since Google typically doesn't release their new phones until the end of October, you are looking at waiting 8 months. To me, it seems to make much more sense to go with the Pixel; though another thought would be to go with the Nexus 6P -- while an older phone it is still quite good and you can get it at half the price. Then, if you like Fi and the Pixel 2 looks really good, you can upgrade after the new Pixel comes out.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Since Google typically doesn't release their new phones until the end of October, you are looking at waiting 8 months. To me, it seems to make much more sense to go with the Pixel; though another thought would be to go with the Nexus 6P -- while an older phone it is still quite good and you can get it at half the price. Then, if you like Fi and the Pixel 2 looks really good, you can upgrade after the new Pixel comes out.

Yeah I have considered the 6P as well, but for now my Droid Turbo is still going strong and I cut about $25 off my VZ plan by switching from my old legacy to a new 2GB plan (I'm not a heavy data user) so I'm inclined to be a little patient. At least hoping to hear some rumblings about the Pixel 2 offerings, as I'm torn between the Pixel and XL in terms of size/battery, and between the 32 GB and 128 GB as well... Hoping for a 5.2-5.3" screen with good battery and 64GB storage, as I doubt Pixel will ever offer SD card. We shall see...

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, in Iowa I would stick with VZW now that they have their unlimited plan. They really can't be beat for coverage.

I use Google Play Music a lot so it's easy to run up data if I'm not playing downloaded music. At the same time, if you only use 1-2GB I can see why you're looking for cheaper options. I'm in the same boat with the Pixel. The battery life on the 6P is kind of lacking and I've been wanting a smaller screen size for a while.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Project Fi, Savannah GA on my PIXEL 2 XL Android 8.1 Beta compared to Comcast WiFi

Probably on T-Mobile.
725bd2b5ab67ee57f30b8d85f263d8f6.jpg

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Project Fi, Savannah GA on my PIXEL 2 XL Android 8.1 Beta compared to Comcast WiFi

Probably on T-Mobile.

There's a good app for Fi called "Signal Spy" that can tell you which network you're on (T-Mo, Sprint, USCell) and can even force the network of your choice by using dialer codes. The free version tells you which network and lets you copy and paste the dialer codes into the dialer, the paid version launches the dialer automatically. Not sure how that will work with the rumblings about Google cracking down on apps using Accessibility services for non-Accessibility reasons.