Google Voice question

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not super familiar with Google Voice and doing some searching here and online I wasn't sure if I had the right answer so I thought it best to ask.

At work we use a Google Voice number as an after hours support number. Instead of us having to carry an extra phone we just change the forwarding number on the Google Voice number depending on whose on call. If I switch to Fi will I still be able to do this with my number or will it not work since it will be seen is a Google Voice number then? Any help or experience with similar situations would be appreciated.

Edit to clarify: I realize that you can't forward a Google Voice number to a Google Fi account, or at least you couldn't at first, but I'm more asking if anyone knows of a work around without using a 3rd party service or a 3rd phone number or if Google has said whether they will be adding this soon.

Last edited:

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site
In case anyone reads this and cares about this, the way I think I'm going to work around this is just have Google Voice answer the work number and then forward the voicemail to my work email address. That is an Exchange server so I'll have that setup on my phone to push all the time to my phone instead of checking every two hours outside of work like I do now. The problem is going to be if someone calls in the middle of the night when I'm asleep as I won't likely hear it. I could make the alert sound loud enough to wake me up but then I'd get woken up for a lot of spammish emails in the middle of the night too. I will have to run this by my manager and make sure they are OK with it too.

I'm still interested if anyone has any better ideas than this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci