booting project fi

fleeper

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have been on fi for a few months and the T-Mobile and Sprint services in my area are just horrible. I kept because of a trip to Italy and I thought it would be worth it for service (data) there. I can definitely make and receive calls but data is practically nonexistent. Great customer service when I have contacted fi but the actual service just sucks.

Posted via the Android Central App

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I've been in NW Montana this week, and my phone is not finding Sprint or T-Mobile, but it will surprisingly pick up ATT and Verizon towers sometimes. Luckily, there's a fair amount of free Wi-Fi. If I lived here however, I'd only use Verizon.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been on fi for a few months and the T-Mobile and Sprint services in my area are just horrible. I kept because of a trip to Italy and I thought it would be worth it for service (data) there. I can definitely make and receive calls but data is practically nonexistent. Great customer service when I have contacted fi but the actual service just sucks.

Why even sign up, if that was the case?? No offense intended to you, but that just doesn't make sense to me...that a person would sign up for Fi, knowing the two carriers Fi uses, have questionable coverage in the area of residence.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Why even sign up, if that was the case?? No offense intended to you, but that just doesn't make sense to me...that a person would sign up for Fi, knowing the two carriers Fi uses, have questionable coverage in the area of residence.
One may not know exactly how coverage is for a certain carrier until they try it. Work, home, etc. can be completely different. Those maps they give you are no indication of real world results.

fleeper

May 31, 2010
Visit site
One may not know exactly how coverage is for a certain carrier until they try it. Work, home, etc. can be completely different. Those maps they give you are no indication of real world results.

Exactly. I was Verizon customer previously. How would I know that between the two services that I would be so limited. What really pushed me over the edge was lack of data in Italy.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. I was Verizon customer previously. How would I know that between the two services that I would be so limited. What really pushed me over the edge was lack of data in Italy.

I'm having a similar issue. Not bad at home, plus I have wifi. Pretty bad at work, at least today. Will give it more time but...

drmarvls

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Was in Italy for more than 2 weeks last October (Rome, Amalfi Coast and Florence). Data on project Fi was terrific....and cheap. Just one man's experience.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
A few months back, I switched to AT&T because T-Mobile's service was atrocious at my house. I activated Project Fi last Wednesday and it tends to grab onto a Sprint tower at home, which is a good thing because Sprint actually works well in my neighborhood.

At my office, I'm usually connected to a T-Mobile tower.

The verdict is still open on whether or not I'll actually keep Project Fi. Overall, I've noticed better call quality on AT&T. Plus, after I ported my GV number to Project Fi, I've had nothing but problems sending SMS/MMS to people on AT&T and Verizon. Apparently, it's a common issue with GV porting. :p

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
A few months back, I switched to AT&T because T-Mobile's service was atrocious at my house. I activated Project Fi last Wednesday and it tends to grab onto a Sprint tower at home, which is a good thing because Sprint actually works well in my neighborhood.

At my office, I'm usually connected to a T-Mobile tower.

The verdict is still open on whether or not I'll actually keep Project Fi. Overall, I've noticed better call quality on AT&T. Plus, after I ported my GV number to Project Fi, I've had nothing but problems sending SMS/MMS to people on AT&T and Verizon. Apparently, it's a common issue with GV porting. :p

Yes, the SMS issue has been an issue for some who use their GV numbers but it typically is fixed within a week or so. I wouldn't use that issue as a determination of if you want to keep it.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the SMS issue has been an issue for some who use their GV numbers but it typically is fixed within a week or so. I wouldn't use that issue as a determination of if you want to keep it.

They got it all working after about a week and a half. They finally put a couple of engineers on the case and once they did that, everything was fixed in about 24 hours.

Overall, my service quality is still better with AT&T, but only time will tell whether or not the money I'll be saving will outweigh that advantage. My usage habits are mostly the same with Project Fi as they were with AT&T and I'm using less data. At this rate, I may not even reach 1GB in this cycle. And if that's the case, my bill will probably be less than $30.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
They got it all working after about a week and a half. They finally put a couple of engineers on the case and once they did that, everything was fixed in about 24 hours.

Overall, my service quality is still better with AT&T, but only time will tell whether or not the money I'll be saving will outweigh that advantage. My usage habits are mostly the same with Project Fi as they were with AT&T and I'm using less data. At this rate, I may not even reach 1GB in this cycle. And if that's the case, my bill will probably be less than $30.

It took them somewhere around 10 days to fix mine (can't recall the exact number) and I managed to get a $20 credit. If they didn't offer you a credit, you should contact support and ask for a credit for the time the SMS was not working.

Since that time, I've not had any real issues and have always used less than 1GB of data per month. Hopefully your experience will continue to be like mine, that you won't have any further issues.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I was in the Dominican Republic on vacation last week, and the data there was awesome on Project Fi. The carrier that they connected me to was Claro, and my phone was getting HSPA speeds. It's not as fast as I'm used to at home, but it was plenty usable.

Posted via the Android Central app on my Nexus 5X with Project Fi

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma