Can I Use My Current Phone Number?

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
On a similar note - any idea if it's possible to change your Fi number on your account? I'm on a 6GB Verizon "loyalty" plan after giving up Unlimited Data a couple years ago, and I'm thinking I'd like to try Fi to check the coverage, quality, etc. without cancelling and porting my VZ number right away. If Fi meets my needs, then I'd want to cancel my VZ and port my number over, but would that be possible if I initially opened my Fi account with a new number? Or, since there's no contract, would I be better off cancelling that first Fi account and starting a new one by porting my VZ number at that time?

Hope the question makes sense...

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that should work fine. I'm going to attempt to do the same thing in a couple of weeks when my contract expires. I bought a 6P last month during their $150 off sale but had to activate it before my contract would be up. I chatted with Fi support and they said a lot of people do it exactly because of what you said. If you decide to bring your actual number over just contact Fi support and let them know and they'll take care of it.

I'll try to remember to come back and let you know how mine goes.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback Broncho, glad to hear others do the same thing. I've got a few months until my VZ contract is up (November) but am just thinking way ahead. That'll give me plenty of time to see what the new Nexus has to offer, or snag a good deal on the discounted 6P.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly what we did with two phones when we wanted to try out Fi before we moved over. Once we decided it was a go we ported our two numbers over.

tsparks1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
On a similar note - any idea if it's possible to change your Fi number on your account? I'm on a 6GB Verizon "loyalty" plan after giving up Unlimited Data a couple years ago, and I'm thinking I'd like to try Fi to check the coverage, quality, etc. without cancelling and porting my VZ number right away. If Fi meets my needs, then I'd want to cancel my VZ and port my number over, but would that be possible if I initially opened my Fi account with a new number? Or, since there's no contract, would I be better off cancelling that first Fi account and starting a new one by porting my VZ number at that time?

Hope the question makes sense...

Will work fine, just remember to port VZW number before canceling with Big Red otherwise you've lost it.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Will work fine, just remember to port VZW number before canceling with Big Red otherwise you've lost it.

Right, thanks for the reminder! I've only switched carriers while keeping my number once, that was coming back over to VZ 6 years ago, and they took care of porting my number from Sprint for me, which automatically cancelled my Sprint account. I'll figure it all out when the time comes, getting way ahead of myself anyways... :)

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site
When you say port, exactly what do you mean? How?

If you want to keep your number you can take it with you to the new account. So if you were setting up new service with Fi when you are going through the setup it asks if you have an existing number you want to port or if you want a new number. If you input your existing number they'll ask you for some information from the account you have now. Then they'll start a behind the scene process that will move your number from whomever you have now to Fi on your account so that your number doesn't change.

Of course if you don't want to keep your number then you can just have a new one assigned.

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to come back and say that I had no problems porting my number over this week. The port went through in about 3 minutes and inbound calls were routed to my Fi phone in about 15 while texts and outbound calls worked as soon as the port was done. Haven't had any problems with it since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool