Project Fi International Report

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Took two different 10 day trips to Europe over the past month, and the international service provided by Project Fi is phenomenal.

First trip (September) I visited Munich, Salzburg, Budapest and Prague. Each of these cities I immediately connected to HSPA or HSPA+ and speeds were more than sufficient. .20 cent phone calls (when on cellular), unlimited texting, and data at the continued $10/gig. Also, free hotspot use so that my friend could use data. The only snag occurred in Budapest when it took a few reboots to finally register my phone on the network, but from then on, it was smooth sailing. On this trip, total data usage was about 4.7 gigs (due to sharing data with my friend), which is above my normal 3 gig plan, but no overages, I just continued to pay $10/gig.

Second trip (this past week) I visited London, Ireland (western areas) and Paris. In London and Ireland I was connected to Three (which Project Fi recently added to their network as full native coverage) and was on LTE (labeled as 4G on my signal bar) in London and HSPA/HSPA+ in Ireland. Coverage was great in London, and generally good in Ireland (some spotty coverage due to the rural areas I was sometimes in). In Paris, I was connected to HSPA/HSPA+ and switched between the Orange and Bouygues Telecom networks, whichever was strongest at any given time. My data is currently at 2.93 gigs and I have two days left on my billing month, so looks like I'll be on target with the 3 gig plan.

Overall, great international experience with no exorbitant fees. It was so nice to turn my phone off of airplane mode and immediately have normal cell service just like in the US (or in the case of the Eurostar, come out of the tunnel into France and have service). I was able to text friends/family back in the states and they were able to text me like normal. I never did a speed test, but speeds were more than fast enough (seemed like normal LTE speeds like here in the states). Great job Google/Project Fi!

cyanogenmod

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Wow that just sounds great man. Thanks for sharing the details with us. I have heard a lot of good things about it but never really in detail like this. Good to know it performs well overseas just like any other carrier.

Thanks for sharing!

Mesty

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking of getting a Pixel with Fi, do you think the coverage will work in Italy? I am in the military and move around a lot, and I am currently stationed in Italy.

chickmag11

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I can verify excellent Project Fi (Nexus 5x) voice and data coverage in Warsaw, Dublin and various part of northern Germany. Also Manaus in Brazil. Add Vancouver, Lethbridge and south-western Ontario.

Agree, sure is nice to be able to turn-off airplane mode once you land!

Mesty

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I can verify excellent Project Fi (Nexus 5x) voice and data coverage in Warsaw, Dublin and various part of northern Germany. Also Manaus in Brazil. Add Vancouver, Lethbridge and south-western Ontario.

Agree, sure is nice to be able to turn-off airplane mode once you land!

When I typed the ZIP code for the area I am in, in Italy, it said no coverage.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
When I typed the ZIP code for the area I am in, in Italy, it said no coverage.

The coverage map does not show international roaming. You could possibly check if you knew which provider(s) Fi roams on in Italy and check their coverage map. At the same time, the Fi service would need to be activated on a Nexus/Pixel in the US. I also suspect they may suspend or cancel your service if you only use your phone in Italy for an extended period (though support could likely answer that question).