Galaxy Nexus: Confirmation of SD card slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiiHuman

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Looks like a SIM card slot as opposed to an SD card slot.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it does look like a SIM Card slot rather than an SD Card slot.

It will be such a huge Epic Fail on Samsung's part (again) if they do not include an SD Card slot for the 32GB version.

I was really wanting this phone. But, if it doesn't have the SD Card slot, I may have to look elsewhere. If it also came in a 64GB version (like the iPhone 4/4S), I might not be as concerned.

~ iiiHuman ~

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Sigh, these phone manufacturers are so frustrating.....

Was really tempted to say that the lack of a SD card slot would be a game breaker for me, but the only phone even in the same league as this phone is launching without a removable battery (Razr).

Looks like I'm still on the Nexus train, assuming I can find/acquire a 32gb one (or a mythical 64GB one magically appears by VZW launch day)

That said, the lack of an SD card slot means, that when the next "next best thing" comes around in the Spring/Summer, I will likely be jumping off this train...... This to me, is like a NFL Team making it all the way to the Superbowl, then missing a game winning 20yrd field goal with 5 seconds left. The phone as it stands just went from being remembered as the greatest phone ever and a legitimate game changer, to being just another obscure footnote in phone history. One that got pretty close to being important, but never really left it's mark.

-Dro

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why it is such a big deal that the Nexus does not have an SD Card slot. Do you have more than 32GB on your phone right now? Most of us will be fine with the storage options. Seems to me that people want to nitpick about every option on this phone. I said it before and I am repeating it here: The Nexus is a developer phone with baseline hardware, not bleeding edge technology. It was designed to showcase the next version of Android. You are supposed to develop your applications to a baseline and this is that baseline. Wait till next year when the Nexus ZOMG comes out with Android 5.0 Jellybean and 1TB of on-board storage and a 20MP dSLR camera sensor and a 2.5 GHz Hexacore processor and 8GB of RAM. Then you might be happy. Till then, move on to another phone that suits your needs. The SGSII came out. The RAZR was just announced. The HTC Rezound will be out soon. There are plenty of phones with higher specs, but only one that will release with ICS this year.

n25philly

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
So sick on the phone manufactures and all of the BS that we all seem to have to go through to get a decent phone. Wanted the Galaxy Nexus mainly for the 720p screen. No SD card is a definite deal breaker for me. It adds just way too much convenience to pass up.

I'm going to now hope that Samsung decides to honor us by deciding to actually release the Note here in the US and that it can actually be compatible with T-Mobile. My Vibrant has been having issues for a while now and I am really getting tired of fighting with it but I'm not going to buy a phone I don't want because no one can get their act together with these new phones.

n25philly

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why it is such a big deal that the Nexus does not have an SD Card slot. Do you have more than 32GB on your phone right now? Most of us will be fine with the storage options. Seems to me that people want to nitpick about every option on this phone. I said it before and I am repeating it here: The Nexus is a developer phone with baseline hardware, not bleeding edge technology. It was designed to showcase the next version of Android. You are supposed to develop your applications to a baseline and this is that baseline. Wait till next year when the Nexus ZOMG comes out with Android 5.0 Jellybean and 1TB of on-board storage and a 20MP dSLR camera sensor and a 2.5 GHz Hexacore processor and 8GB of RAM. Then you might be happy. Till then, move on to another phone that suits your needs. The SGSII came out. The RAZR was just announced. The HTC Rezound will be out soon. There are plenty of phones with higher specs, but only one that will release with ICS this year.

I'm using about 14 gig between my internal storage and my card. It's not just about storage space though. I like that I can install a new rom on my phone and know that I my music, wallpapers, pictures, and settings for thing like beautiful widgets and there and waiting for me and ready to go.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

The fact that you don't understand what the big deal is means that you have not read through this thread. Those reasons are stated in a few posts earlier here so I won't repeat them. Some are very valid and important reasons, some may be less so but they exist.

Reactions: Ricky Babalu

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
So many conflicting stories. 16gb w/ SD and a 32gb w/ both Max at 32gb? If there is any truth to that 16gb w/ a 16gb card would be just fine by me....Maybe I'll wait till day 2 of the release. :)

scotty_pimmpen

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the need for an sd card. You have music? Use google music. Files? Dropbox... I have never had a storage issue, and my phone access a ton of data.

trev186

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the need for an sd card. You have music? Use google music. Files? Dropbox... I have never had a storage issue, and my phone access a ton of data.

What about when u don't have a connection. Also many games can't just be streamed and take up a ton of space

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

JoeAndDroid

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I can think of 2 more important reasons:

1) Backup - I used Titanium Backup to backup all my data and apps. If the phone gets dropped, wet, whatever, the SD card will likely survive. The internal memory won't. No SD card = no deal for me.

2) HD Recording - Why would anyone advertise 1080i HD recording with no SD card??? HD recording eats up memory real fast.

Joe

In my case I fly a lot. I like to listen to MY music during flight. I may be in the clouds but if my music is also there I can't get to it, it needs to be on an SD. I have managed to reduce my music to the most listened to stuff and that brought it down to about 30 gigs. I have over 1000 CD's and another 1000 vinyls and I like ripping at at least 192 and mostly 256 so my music takes a lot of space. With the 32gig card I can swap in and out as I like. That's critical for me but it may not be for someone else. If I didn't fly so much I probably wouldn't care about relying on cloud based storage.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I can think of 2 more important reasons:

1) Backup - I used Titanium Backup to backup all my data and apps. If the phone gets dropped, wet, whatever, the SD card will likely survive. The internal memory won't. No SD card = no deal for me.

Titanium Backup has DropBox integration so you can store your backups in the cloud. That way even if you phone and SD card get destroyed, you'll still have your data.

Reactions: Averix

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, the single most important reason for the SDHC slot is to have one-up on the iPhone at a given price point.

Speaking of, does anyone know if the $299 US price is for 32GB or 16GB?

-KLH

trev186

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Titanium Backup has DropBox integration so you can store your backups in the cloud. That way even if you phone and SD card get destroyed, you'll still have your data.

Yes but u first must back stuff up to your memory. You would have to manually delete the backups everytime they were synced.

The cloud sucks. It is better to store crap on a physical device and access it when u want. The cloud is just a crutch for when that is not possible.

With a 64 GB sdxc card I use the cloud. However when 2 TBs Sdxc cards come out I will not.

Try checking out the cost of 2 TBs worth of cloud storage... I would rather just buy the card and know I have my stuff everywhere I go

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

dylanear

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The cloud is great as long as you have an unlimited data plan and live next to a 4G cell tower and never leave home. or for small data, like your contact list that can sync a few times a day (but a copy is cached on the phone too). Those of us in the real world, with gigabytes and gigabytes of data want our data with us 100% of the time, and at high speed. Paying OTA charges to wait to access data I own??? F THAT!

And the most important thing, as long as we have a removable file system we will always be able to have control over what files we want on our devices. The main reason I left the iPhone, no freedom of my data on my phone. Don't tell me Google wants to do the same thing?! I'd love to get a straight answer from Google management on why the Nexus phones deliberately don't have SD cards. Because it straight up sucks. I can think of no reason that is in the users' interest. Just Google "being evil" if you ask me.

Graendel

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
+1 on the No SD slot == No Nexus for me. I'm sure those of you who say you dont understand why some people need the SD slot don't use it that much. But just because you do not have the use for it, doesn't mean other people are on the same boat.

I for one have almost 30GB of just music on my SD and more than 50GB of videos spread over several SD's. I like having the option of pre-installing preferred playlists and videos over several cards and just swapping them out. I have almost a TB of media on my PC and it would suck to keep on syncing for an hour over USB (and much more over AirSync) just to swap out videos and music. As mentioned in previous posts there are more reasons why a lot of people would like this microSD feature and I too, will not repeat them.

I guess it's going to be the Galaxy S2 for me as it's time to replace my Nexus One. It's just a bummer that I will have to wait for AT&T to release ICS. I wonder if I can install a custom ROM with ICS or maybe get the unlocked one from Amazon and hope it gets updated OTA with ICS.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have decided to pass on this phone due to the lack of an SD card slot. In my line of business it is a necessity ( I deal with a lot of large graphic files). I understand for a lot of you it is not a big deal and I wish you the best of luck with the phone. It looks to be a fantastic phone! I will just wait until one comes along that meets my needs.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
This is kinda funny to me... considering the internal storage is faster and most people never remove the sd card. How many of you use a micro sd to sd converter or have a micro sd slot built into your computer? I have a microSD card slot in my computer and I've never used it.

dylanear

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have a SD reader in my desktop, my laptop and I keep a USB card reader and SD to micro SD card on hand. I have many cards conveniently storing MANY GB of data. Instantly accessible in a form I can carry in my wallet. I can store and access my photography (from many cameras, phone internal to pro DSLRs) at full resolution, 500+ CD collection ripped at high bit rate, all sorts of miscellanea. Anything and everything I see fit and I can read/write that from most other computing devices. Accessing and updating that from the cloud under the real world bandwidth challenges I already face with drastically smaller amounts of data?? Laughable to contemplate.

If the cloud and internal memory is working for you, great, But it's going to be a deal breaker for a lot of the types that buy a cutting edge smartphone, especially ones that aren't iPhones. Why doesn't Google see how this is limiting the nexus potential to go head to head with the iPhone?? Unless they plan/hope for a stranglehold on the phone's data/media like Apple has now. So it's implications are potentially much larger than a small hardware feature being deleted.

I'll use all the bandwdwith I can afford, so sacrificing a lot of that to get data I already have on hand with my current phone?!!

OK, now I'm done. If you don't get it by now, you never will.

Reactions: Just.Another.Face

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This is kinda funny to me... considering the internal storage is faster and most people never remove the sd card. How many of you use a micro sd to sd converter or have a micro sd slot built into your computer? I have a microSD card slot in my computer and I've never used it.

Why is it funny that something is important to some? If it is not a deal breaker for you, great I am happy for you. It seems you had a different opinion here though:

There are plenty of differences, not all for the better. The Nexus has 16GB of on board memory (good), but no sd card slot, so thats the most space you're going to get (bad). Its running EXT4 file system (good), but you can install a custom ROM to get this same benefit on an Epic. The Nexus has NFC... which is almost completely useless right now. Its running Gingerbread with everything working, may bring light to getting a full CyanogenMod7 working when its released for the Epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance