Galaxy Nexus: Confirmation of SD card slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Why is it funny that something is important to some? If it is not a deal breaker for you, great I am happy for you. It seems you had a different opinion here though:

Yes... when 16GB was the max... and before Google Music Beta was available. You're worse than a politician. 32GB is plenty. I have 32 in my Transformer, and I haven't filled it yet. File system is similar to ICS in that all 32 are available to both apps and media. Everything runs snappy (ironically with the exception of the Google Market... that takes forever). I use cloud storage, I have LTE in my are and its fast (as fast as my home internet). I also have an unlimited plan.. You'll just have to learn to plan ahead. Going on a trip? Download your stuff ahead of time. Who just spontaneously goes... Crap, I gotta get out of town tonight and I don't have anything to watch? When I went to mexico, I loaded a few movies on my thunderbolt.

How would having to remove an sd card from under the battery be helpful you. Its slow to transfer data.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes... when 16GB was the max... and before Google Music Beta was available. You're worse than a politician. 32GB is plenty. I have 32 in my Transformer, and I haven't filled it yet. File system is similar to ICS in that all 32 are available to both apps and media. Everything runs snappy (ironically with the exception of the Google Market... that takes forever). I use cloud storage, I have LTE in my are and its fast (as fast as my home internet). I also have an unlimited plan.. You'll just have to learn to plan ahead. Going on a trip? Download your stuff ahead of time. Who just spontaneously goes... Crap, I gotta get out of town tonight and I don't have anything to watch? When I went to mexico, I loaded a few movies on my thunderbolt.

How would having to remove an sd card from under the battery be helpful you. Its slow to transfer data.

Good for you!

Reactions: Just.Another.Face

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Good for you!

So you won't buy the phone now. OK, why are you still arguing on the site? You think Samsung and Google are going to read your post and go, "Oh Snap, Ricky's upset we didn't put slower storage on the device, lets go do that now before release!" I think it was kinda obvious that since the Galaxy S was just internal storage, the future nexus devices would go the same route. You also know that the microUSB port can have accessories added to it. I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes an accessory in the near future to add an sd card reader of some sort.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So you won't buy the phone now. OK, why are you still arguing on the site? You think Samsung and Google are going to read your post and go, "Oh Snap, Ricky's upset we didn't put slower storage on the device, lets go do that now before release!" I think it was kinda obvious that since the Galaxy S was just internal storage, the future nexus devices would go the same route. You also know that the microUSB port can have accessories added to it. I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes an accessory in the near future to add an sd card reader of some sort.

Where do you come to the conclusion that I am upset? arguing? It is just not the phone for me. I wish nothing but the best to those who decide to purchase the phone, including you.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm using about 14 gig between my internal storage and my card. It's not just about storage space though. I like that I can install a new rom on my phone and know that I my music, wallpapers, pictures, and settings for thing like beautiful widgets and there and waiting for me and ready to go.

They will be there. The internal storage on this device acts like an SD card.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My opinions, and that's what they are, "my opinions", are based on how I use my device. The fact that someone carries around their entire music collection, movie collection, any file they have ever made boggles my mind. I survived with a 1GB mp3 player for a long time that I would have to plug in to my computer every time that I wanted to swap music. I used an iPod Touch 8GB until it died loaded up with only a few video files which I had to swap out when I was done watching them. I am not under the impression that my phone is going to replace my computer, storage devices, and every other electronic device I own. If that is how you operate, that is fine for you. Most people who buy this phone will not complain about it on a daily basis that it doesn't have feature A, B, or C. I will agree that I touch my other devices far less than I do my phone, to include my computer, but my phone is not a replacement for everything. Sometimes I need to use my computer.

[tl/dr] Buy a different phone.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My opinions, and that's what they are, "my opinions", are based on how I use my device. The fact that someone carries around their entire music collection, movie collection, any file they have ever made boggles my mind. I survived with a 1GB mp3 player for a long time that I would have to plug in to my computer every time that I wanted to swap music. I used an iPod Touch 8GB until it died loaded up with only a few video files which I had to swap out when I was done watching them. I am not under the impression that my phone is going to replace my computer, storage devices, and every other electronic device I own. If that is how you operate, that is fine for you. Most people who buy this phone will not complain about it on a daily basis that it doesn't have feature A, B, or C. I will agree that I touch my other devices far less than I do my phone, to include my computer, but my phone is not a replacement for everything. Sometimes I need to use my computer.

Wow, who pissed in your Wheaties?

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised this SD card slot thread is still open. Having said that, I am wondering if the lack of removable media (SD Card) could be related to a DRM issue. With the coming of Google Music and ever increasing video services like netflix I can see where the DRM license would want the player and the media to reside on the same device. I am no expert on this but its something that was curios about.

The only advantage that the SD card gives me is that if my phone dies and I have all the pieces I can then extract information from the removable card. As things sync to the cloud this really shouldn't be necessary anymore. The cloud would also save the data that goes with the phone to the bottom of the lake or is stolen. Largest card I have had is 16GB so I feel 32GB will last me until the next bad a** phone drops.

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So can someone clarify for me exactly what the implications are for installing custom ROMs if there's no SD card slot? Personally, I don't care about the SD card for extra storage (I'm one of those people who has never removed the SD card from my phone, so to me it's irrelevant that it's removable).

However, every custom ROM I've ever installed includes the step "put the file on your SD card." If there's no SD card, how does this work? There has to be a way to install an update.zip, since that's what OTA updates do.

Apologies if these are dumb questions, but there's so much arm-waving about the SD card issue that I'm just trying to figure out whether I care or not.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So can someone clarify for me exactly what the implications are for installing custom ROMs if there's no SD card slot? Personally, I don't care about the SD card for extra storage (I'm one of those people who has never removed the SD card from my phone, so to me it's irrelevant that it's removable).

However, every custom ROM I've ever installed includes the step "put the file on your SD card." If there's no SD card, how does this work? There has to be a way to install an update.zip, since that's what OTA updates do.

Apologies if these are dumb questions, but there's so much arm-waving about the SD card issue that I'm just trying to figure out whether I care or not.

Your internal storage is called "sdcard" no joke. Its the same thing, just faster.

trev186

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Your internal storage is called "sdcard" no joke. Its the same thing, just faster.

Yes but why is google pushing for android to lose functionality? Isn't it better to have access to the cloud and physical storage?

And losing this over DRM would be a joke as well

SD cards have the potential To go to 2 tbs in the future. With an SD card slot u can expand ur phone without having to buy a new one.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes but why is google pushing for android to lose functionality? Isn't it better to have access to the cloud and physical storage?

And losing this over DRM would be a joke as well

SD cards have the potential To go to 2 tbs in the future. With an SD card slot u can expand ur phone without having to buy a new one.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

The max that would ever work in a device today is 32GB. Nothing more will work. The new cards coming out are not backwards compatible. They haven't lost functionality, just made everything slimmer.

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

On one hand, you have a very valid point, that you as a consumer, have no discernible interest in the SD card slot. And your feedback is relevant to Google/Samsung and any future phones produced, however just because it "boggles your mind" does not mean it isn't a relevant concern for other users, or even a relevant concern for a large percentage of potential customers, which is certainly information that Samsung/Google should pay attention too, as it will effect total sales.

As a comparative example, I have -zero- use for the camera. I don't care if its 1MGP, 2MGP, or 39580985MP. I don't care that the phone includes a front facing camera or regular camera , because I won't use the thing more than once or twice in the two years I use the phone, and then only when I forget to bring my actual camera somewhere. I also don't record video (and Ironically probably can't record video because of storage limitations via lack of SD-card slot). I don't need these features, and perhaps I'm representative of a large percentage of potential customers that agree. I do however, recognize that for a great many people, these features are absolutely essential, if they are going to purchase this phone. I also recognize, that despite not using them very frequently, if at all, that having a camera and a camcorder built into your cellphone is a nice perk to have. I believe it's the same with SD-Cards. You may not have a need for it, and you may not ever use the extra space it allows for, but many people do use them,and limiting the versatility of a top tier product like this will only exist to limit sales. Finally, even if you never use the data, isn't it automatically better to have it available to be used?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thunderbolt--running with a 32GB microsd, and i love it. google music for songs, and card for videos (dlna & xbox =sweet) until google Video arrives (or whatver it could be called)--i want a micro sd card for videos.

genuine question: 32gb memory--how much is actually left after the ROM? thunderbolt inernal=8gb, 2 usable after the ROM partition. so. 24GB usable space?

i'd prefer to have a microsd slot. like mentioned before, it's better in "oh sh&t situations" where the phone is dead and ADB isn't an option.

ccjjr59

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Workaround, USB OTG to MicroSD adapter

So I was originally very upset that Samsung decided to nix the microsd slot, but I just thought of something that calmed me. USB OTG (on the go)

OTG CABLE ADAPTER HOST MICRO-B USB A FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY SII | eBay

Check out this video showing use of a usb thumb drive.

Samsung Galaxy S2 USB OTG demo - YouTub

I would imagine you could just plug in the little usb to microusb pigtail, plug one of those tiny microsd to USB converters and watch or transfer whatever files you want.

While not as convenient as built in, I could definitely throw the pigtail cable/converter into my bag on a flight or train and bam 32gb of my videos and music ready to play directly!

pwninobrlan

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I have decided to pass on this phone due to the lack of an SD card slot. In my line of business it is a necessity ( I deal with a lot of large graphic files). I understand for a lot of you it is not a big deal and I wish you the best of luck with the phone. It looks to be a fantastic phone! I will just wait until one comes along that meets my needs.

I hope you find your phone soon. =[

Reactions: Ricky Babalu

Natalieann75

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit if a novice compared to all you guys... I mean.. I have run my GalaxyS into the ground with customisation etc but I just follow the instructions posted on the net by smart people like you lot :). I am about a millisecond away from pre ordering this phone but now I'm quietly freaking out about the sd issue. It's not necessarily storage for me... its the amount of times I have done factory resets or upgraded the rom etc that made the sd card so important. Application and pictures backups etc. Is it true that the internal storage on here is partitioned so part of it does act like an external sd and won't wipe on a reset? Sorry for my ignorance. I just can't find an answer anywhere...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit if a novice compared to all you guys... I mean.. I have run my GalaxyS into the ground with customisation etc but I just follow the instructions posted on the net by smart people like you lot :). I am about a millisecond away from pre ordering this phone but now I'm quietly freaking out about the sd issue. It's not necessarily storage for me... its the amount of times I have done factory resets or upgraded the rom etc that made the sd card so important. Application and pictures backups etc. Is it true that the internal storage on here is partitioned so part of it does act like an external sd and won't wipe on a reset? Sorry for my ignorance. I just can't find an answer anywhere...

think of it as dynamically expanding. you have 32 GB, but its constantly changing between internal and external media depending whats on each patition. When you "backup" it saves your internal and moves it to the external partition.

Natalieann75

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok great. So I think that nails it for me. As long as I don't lose absolutely everything if/when I decide to start messing around with it it looks like a goer! Exciting....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21