Galaxy Nexus: Confirmation of SD card slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
think of it as dynamically expanding. you have 32 GB, but its constantly changing between internal and external media depending whats on each patition. When you "backup" it saves your internal and moves it to the external partition.

So if one has a boatload of MP3s on the external partition, doing a factory reset or flashing a new ROM won't obliterate the MP3s and necessitate re-transferring everything from my computer?

I suppose I could also just experiment with my girlfriend's Nexus S, but I think asking here is safer for my health ;)

Reactions: Just.Another.Face

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So if one has a boatload of MP3s on the external partition, doing a factory reset or flashing a new ROM won't obliterate the MP3s and necessitate re-transferring everything from my computer?

I suppose I could also just experiment with my girlfriend's Nexus S, but I think asking here is safer for my health ;)

External memory or "internal SD card" works the same as a removable SD card. It is a separate entity, one which I keep all my backups on between ROM flashes and data wipes.

Sent from my Google Nexus S

Natalieann75

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
One more stupid question... assuming I go ahead and buy this handset... am I able to transfer the backups of my current applications from my GalaxyS sd? For example I use Easy Money and its got about a years worth of transactions in the database... everytime I flashed a new rom I could simply import the data from the sd to repopulate. But i can't see how I could transfer that data over to this new device... :/ Change it to mass storage and copy it to PC?

Droidlovinyogi

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
External memory or "internal SD card" works the same as a removable SD card. It is a separate entity, one which I keep all my backups on between ROM flashes and data wipes.

Sent from my Google Nexus S

I fully understand those whose use necessitates a removable SD card. However it is not my situation. I am minimally concerned about storage and chiefly concerned about how flashing ROMS, Nandroid backups and using recovery are handled during the customizations process.

Thank you for your answer. It clears it up for those with the same concerns. Another question:

Is it safe to assume that Dropbox and SpiderOak files are stored and handled the same way?

Droidlovinyogi

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Workaround, USB OTG to MicroSD adapter

So I was originally very upset that Samsung decided to nix the microsd slot, but I just thought of something that calmed me. USB OTG (on the go)

OTG CABLE ADAPTER HOST MICRO-B USB A FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY SII | eBay

Check out this video showing use of a usb thumb drive.
Click to view quoted video

Samsung Galaxy S2 USB OTG demo - YouTub

I would imagine you could just plug in the little usb to microusb pigtail, plug one of those tiny microsd to USB converters and watch or transfer whatever files you want.

While not as convenient as built in, I could definitely throw the pigtail cable/converter into my bag on a flight or train and bam 32gb of my videos and music ready to play directly!

This is potentially great news in light of there being no removable SD card. Does anyone have any idea of the probability of this working with the G-Nex?

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It might be possible. If it's any indication, the Xoom running 3.2.1 has USB host capability, but I forget if you had to root it to read/write to storage via an OTG cable. I think some one mentioned USB host capability in ICS during the presentation in Hong Kong, but I'm not sure.

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm holding out hope for USB OTG too, as it'll go a long way toward offsetting the lack of onboard storage for me.

I believe it was mentioned during the launch that ICS will natively support it. However there's no official confirmation yet (or successful attempts on test/review devices) of whether the Galaxy Nexus itself supports it, hardware-wise, that I'm aware of. I've been keeping my ear to the ground, though. It's confirmed that the Nexus has MHL (HDMI over the USB port), and people more knowlegeable than me suspect that it'll therefore be the same USB controller used in the SGSII, which did feature USB OTG. So, fingers crossed, it's looking promising that it'll work on the Nexus...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I am using a 64 GB card as we speak. My friends Droid also can. So there goes your point

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

There is not 64GB microSDHC There is a 64GB microSDXC and those do not work in cell phones. If there is a 64GB microSDHC card, please enlighten me of where you got it and its cost... If it does exit, its likely over $100 as the 32GB cards were that price recently. Not worth the extra cost.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thunderbolt--running with a 32GB microsd, and i love it. google music for songs, and card for videos (dlna & xbox =sweet) until google Video arrives (or whatver it could be called)--i want a micro sd card for videos.

genuine question: 32gb memory--how much is actually left after the ROM? thunderbolt inernal=8gb, 2 usable after the ROM partition. so. 24GB usable space?

i'd prefer to have a microsd slot. like mentioned before, it's better in "oh sh&t situations" where the phone is dead and ADB isn't an option.

Well... from a screen shot I saw the other day of a 16GB model, it had over 13GB of internal space. So taking formatting into account (i.e. you don't get 32GB of space out of your 32GB card... you get 29.xx) the ROM takes up less than 2GB of space. I honestly don't know why HTC needs 4-6GB of space, or what they planned on doing with it.

We won't know really (i believe the model I saw the other day was a prototype), until we get them in a reviewers hand.

dylanear

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
There is not 64GB microSDHC There is a 64GB microSDXC and those do not work in cell phones. If there is a 64GB microSDHC card, please enlighten me of where you got it and its cost... If it does exit, its likely over $100 as the 32GB cards were that price recently. Not worth the extra cost.

I assumed this as well until recently, but apparently there are some phones (that have no official or at least published SDXC support) that do mount and read/write the 64GB cards. I haven't looked into it closely, but the reports seem credible. Google it. If I wasn't looking to dump it, I'd love to try one in my G2x. Hoping the Razr (or perhaps Bionic) support them.

Amazon.com: SanDisk 64GB Ultra Secure Digital High Capacity, SDXC, Memory Card, 15MB/Sec Read/Write Speed: Electronics

Amazon.com: Lexar Media 64 GB SDXC Flash Memory Card LSD64GCRBNA133: Electronics

Amazon.com: Transcend 64 GB Class 10 SDXC Ultra Speed 25MB/S Flash Memory Card TS64GSDXC10: Electronics

LisaD0115

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Wait till next year when the Nexus ZOMG comes out with Android 5.0 Jellybean and 1TB of on-board storage and a 20MP dSLR camera sensor and a 2.5 GHz Hexacore processor and 8GB of RAM. Then you might be happy. Till then, move on to another phone that suits your needs.

LOL - only if it has a removable battery!!:)

trev186

May 29, 2011
Visit site

I bought it directly from sandisk. Android can read sdxc cards. All it has to do is format the card from fat 32 . I am convinced all android phones can use them.

It cost $200 now but so did the 32 GB SD cards when they came out. It will be cheaper later. It was worth it for me

Next there should be a 128 GB sdxc card and on up to 2 TBs.

When they were first released I read about them on an android news site and bought one and tested it.

Several on xda have tested them too.

Last edited:

trev186

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I assumed this as well until recently, but apparently there are some phones (that have no official or at least published SDXC support) that do mount and read/write the 64GB cards. I haven't looked into it closely, but the reports seem credible. Google it. If I wasn't looking to dump it, I'd love to try one in my G2x. Hoping the Razr (or perhaps Bionic) support them.

Amazon.com: SanDisk 64GB Ultra Secure Digital High Capacity, SDXC, Memory Card, 15MB/Sec Read/Write Speed: Electronics

Amazon.com: Lexar Media 64 GB SDXC Flash Memory Card LSD64GCRBNA133: Electronics

Amazon.com: Transcend 64 GB Class 10 SDXC Ultra Speed 25MB/S Flash Memory Card TS64GSDXC10: Electronics

My friends original Droid could use it and my evo 3d can as can several others
I am sure they work with all androids.

dylanear

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Android is an operating system, not hardware, I would not assume all android phones will read SDXC cards. I'd be shocked if that was the case. I can't claim to have any first hand data, but if all the first to market android phones from a few years back will read a SDXC card at full capacity I'll eat my socks.

Reactions: Mofus

trev186

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Android is an operating system, not hardware, I would not assume all android phones will read SDXC cards. I'd be shocked if that was the case. I can't claim to have any first hand data, but if all the first to market android phones from a few years back will read a SDXC card at full capacity I'll eat my socks.

Well an original Droid can so that is pretty good proof. A few people on xda think that the only reason sdxc was never said to support the hardware was a marketing oversight.

It appears that the hardware for sdxc is no different. The only difference is sdxc comes in exfat partition meaning your phone has to format it to fat 32 .

The card though looks exactly the same as any other sdhc card.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well an original Droid can so that is pretty good proof. A few people on xda think that the only reason sdxc was never said to support the hardware was a marketing oversight.

It appears that the hardware for sdxc is no different. The only difference is sdxc comes in exfat partition meaning your phone has to format it to fat 32 .

The card though looks exactly the same as any other sdhc card.

Probably better to just piggyback a usb/sd card to the microUSB port when you need it. I haven't filled the 32GB on my Asus Transformer which is great for movies, nor my 32GB storage on the Thunderbolt which I use mostly for ROMs/Backups. Google Music's Cloud Storage really is great, but with carriers going to tiered data, again, isn't. I have unlimited, so I use a bunch of different clouds (the Sandisk is great, but needs some fine tuning to be faster on all phones).

trev186

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Probably better to just piggyback a usb/sd card to the microUSB port when you need it. I haven't filled the 32GB on my Asus Transformer which is great for movies, nor my 32GB storage on the Thunderbolt which I use mostly for ROMs/Backups. Google Music's Cloud Storage really is great, but with carriers going to tiered data, again, isn't. I have unlimited, so I use a bunch of different clouds (the Sandisk is great, but needs some fine tuning to be faster on all phones).

Better for you not for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananui