Galaxy Nexus: A downgrade from a SGS II

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been following the rumors of the nexus Prime, or Galaxy Nexus for many months now, and was excited to see what Samsung would do with their awesome screen and chipset technology in such a device.

With all the rumors pointing towards an OMAP chipset, presumably the 4460 (basically the same thing as the Bionic's 4430) it makes me wonder what a lost opportunity we had here. Samsung's Exynos chipset is an amazing setup, and the Mali 400 GPU makes the OMAP's ancient overclocked SGX540 look silly. But, even the Mali 400 gets shown the door by Apple's iPad 2, and iPhone 4s chips.

from what I can tell, (which granted is limited being we are still a few hours off) this phone could be a downgrade on almost every bullet point from the current SGS II. The CPU & GPU should be slower, and even the HD screen could be an argued downgrade considering it's a step back to pentile (which is important for some people)

The last year has jsut seemed to be a funky year for smartphone tech. Things have slowed down due to LTE and how picky it is with compatibility. I think we are due for a bigger jump than usual in the next 6-8 months as CPU & LTE techs merge in a more harmonious relationship. .

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering is ics going to be coming with a native screen shot? I haven't seen any rumors saying so but I was really hoping it would.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Really can't say, although I was hoping to have this conversation be focused on the phone hardware, more so than the software.

masterxchief

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering is ics going to be coming with a native screen shot? I haven't seen any rumors saying so but I was really hoping it would.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
[Exclusive] Ice Cream Sandwich Will Finally Bring Native Screenshot Capabilities To Android

Really can't say, although I was hoping to have this conversation be focused on the phone hardware, more so than the software.

Its not all about the hardware. If the software is optimized for the hardware it can run much better than just having ramped up specs to compensate. Look at the iPhone, the new version of iOS works pretty smooth on even the older iPhones because the OS is optimized for the specific hardware.

All these Android manufacturers have gotten into this stupid arms race to show up each other. It makes owning an Android phone so annoying when your phone's specs are 'outdated' a month after you get it. I think that we have just been conditioned into that stupid mentality and we need to get away from it.

Reactions: Quills#WP

Aka757

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you heard anything about carrier support for this phone? More specifically, anything about a GSM version coming to T-Mobile?

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
[Exclusive] Ice Cream Sandwich Will Finally Bring Native Screenshot Capabilities To Android

Its not all about the hardware. If the software is optimized for the hardware it can run much better than just having ramped up specs to compensate. Look at the iPhone, the new version of iOS works pretty smooth on even the older iPhones because the OS is optimized for the specific hardware.

All these Android manufacturers have gotten into this stupid arms race to show up each other. It makes owning an Android phone so annoying when your phone's specs are 'outdated' a month after you get it. I think that we have just been conditioned into that stupid mentality and we need to get away from it.

I couldn't agree more on software optimization. That is a crucial step.

But I also don't agree with the "specs dont matter" slogan than has been going around. iOS always felt snappier than Android in the past because they always optimized their software...to use their specs. They always had a decent GPU in the phone to offload the GUI to, and always made sure it worked well.

People say the iPhone 4s was a disappointment, but for the platform that doesn't care about specs...it is rocking a GPU probably 5 times more powerful (at least) than we have in our flagship device.

masterxchief

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more on software optimization. That is a crucial step.

But I also don't agree with the "specs dont matter" slogan than has been going around. iOS always felt snappier than Android in the past because they always optimized their software...to use their specs. They always had a decent GPU in the phone to offload the GUI to, and always made sure it worked well.

People say the iPhone 4s was a disappointment, but for the platform that doesn't care about specs...it is rocking a GPU probably 5 times more powerful (at least) than we have in our flagship device.

Ya Apple makes great use of the hardware with their phones but the specs are never bleeding edge like they are on Android. I do agree that the GPUs in the iPhones have been killer but they are going after the portable gaming market so it is understandable. Not to say that I am happy with the old overclocked GPU we will get in the Nexus. The phone is running at 720p resolution and I seriously doubt that an old 540 that is overclocked is gonna give you all that great performance. I guess we have to remember this is a developer device.

wege12

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
How is this thread ridiculous? The OP said nothing that was not true and I happen to agree 100% with him. It is embarrassing that Google/Samsung decided to put a lower grade GPU in their flagship phone when 6 months ago they released a phone with a better GPU. And coupled with its 720p screen, this is only asking for trouble with more demanding games. And you can argue all you want that ICS will be optimized from here to the moon for this device but that can only get you so far.

Im more disappointed than anything... Ive been waiting to upgrade to this phone when I heard that it was coming to verizon. And everything is perfect besides its thickness (compared to Razr) and its GPU. There is just really no excuse to use a GPU that was used in the Galaxy S even if it is overclocked.

Gonna be a long 2 years with this outdated GPU...

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Certain specs might be but the Nexus phones from Samsung are amazing to hold. I've never held a phone that felt more "right." The Galaxy S phones are thin but feel like solid blocks. The Nexus S feels like it was made to be in a palm. So they're ahead there.

descendency

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC's Nexus device was a flagship device (in both tech and software)

Samsung's Nexus devices have all been steps backwards (technologically).

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This isn't a pointless thread. Spec wise I think my Epic Touch is better. Granted it may not have ICS but I now understand why Verizon didnt get the GS2. Look at the phone! Its looks identical to the GS2 just without the curved back.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Since it's coming with 4.0, one could argue that it isn't a downgrade.

Yes, but software can always trickle down to other devices...hardware you can't change. In time I'm sure ICS will get to the GS II if not officially then unofficially rather soon, and at that time will Galaxy Nexus owners feel they still have the more capable device? That 720p screen is going to murder the obsolete GPU in newer games.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Just going on paper alone without seeing ICS in action, this is a downgrade from the SII. Except for the screen.

Lets see what ICS brings to the table first without totally bashing this phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund